• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in New Zealand 2016

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bloke is all neck, a real flamingo.
Jordan Silk says hi.

Did Haze say something else that hasn't been mentioned? Because I don't see how "who's the ****ing 3rd umpire" is abuse. Dissent, absolutely, and he should cop a whack for the language as well, but it's not like he said "the 3rd umpire is a **** ****".

Smith needs a word in his ear though. Already getting a rep, which is not a good thing.
awta

Their body language was worse than anything that was actually said.

Agree with whoever said that there's only way to crack down on it is to hit players with proper penalties to get it through to them that it's not on. Nothing worse than seeing players surround an official, there's no need for it, and it looks horrendous.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
awta

Their body language was worse than anything that was actually said.

Agree with whoever said that there's only way to crack down on it is to hit players with proper penalties to get it through to them that it's not on. Nothing worse than seeing players surround an official, there's no need for it, and it looks horrendous.
Ultimately I think penalty runs are the way to go. Bans are a wild overreaction and dumb IMO, but if it was actually materially costing the team in the game then you'd see it cut to size pretty quick.

(also, why did you quote that first post)

Johnners

Ultimately I think penalty runs are the way to go. Bans are a wild overreaction and dumb IMO, but if it was actually materially costing the team in the game then you'd see it cut to size pretty quick.

(also, why did you quote that first post)
I could see penalty runs creating more of an issue though. The players are obviously fired up enough to be dissenting, being hit with penalty runs is only going to make it worse in the moment imo.

Oh and i had forgotten to include the picture.

Spark

Global Moderator
I could see penalty runs creating more of an issue though. The players are obviously fired up enough to be dissenting, being hit with penalty runs is only going to make it worse in the moment imo.
Mm, not sure about this. But I guess the major concern is that it would have to be done essentially live—you couldn't give 10 or 15 penalty runs or whatever it is at a nightly hearing, you'd have to do it on the spot. Which is where the game seems to be heading if that yellow card business from the MCC is any indication (why we are taking our cues on sporting behaviour from football...) so I don't think that's a fatal flaw either.

still can't see it

Jord

U19 Vice-Captain
15% Match Fee is a wet ticket slap. The captain ultimately needs to be held responsible for the team though, he's the one who allows them to crowd around the umpire. This was an ugly ugly incident and it's not the first one in the series.

Smith so far is making Ponting look well adjusted and mature.

Johnners

Mm, not sure about this. But I guess the major concern is that it would have to be done essentially live—you couldn't give 10 or 15 penalty runs or whatever it is at a nightly hearing, you'd have to do it on the spot. Which is where the game seems to be heading if that yellow card business from the MCC is any indication (why we are taking our cues on sporting behaviour from football...) so I don't think that's a fatal flaw either.

still can't see it
The football comparison is exactly why I'm not sure a live decision is the right way to go. Seeing the players carry-on when red & yellow cards come out is utterly disgraceful, and imo a big part of that is because players are so aggrieved at an initial decision going against them, then seeing a card often makes it worse.

Unless you're talking about blocks of 20-30+ runs, at least in test cricket a runs type penalty isn't going to be a deterrent in the same way missing a test-match is.

Jordan Silk etc.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
The football comparison is exactly why I'm not sure a live decision is the right way to go. Seeing the players carry-on when red & yellow cards come out is utterly disgraceful, and in my opinion a big part of that is because players are so aggrieved an initial decision going against them, seeing a card often makes it worse.

Unless you're talking about blocks of 20-30+ runs, at least in test cricket a runs type penalty isn't going to be a deterrent in the same way missing a test-match is.

Jordan Silk etc.
Yeah fair points. I'm just not really convinced yet that this stuff is actually ban-worthy, which is a bar that is extremely high for me (racist/homophobic abuse etc etc)

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
5% of posts in here have been rubbish, with probably another 5% commenting on the rubbish. Really disappointing, and I would understand if people stayed away from CricketWeb because of it.

Hopefully there's a good finish tomorrow, on the pitch, and on here. :)

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
As someone who's just signed up this thread is tough going! I've been an admin/mod on another (non-cricket) forum for about ten years, and after a while it absolutely drives you over the edge and into complete insanity. Keeping the vibe you want is an extremely difficult job, so I think the criticism towards the admin/mods in this thread has been extremely harsh. Haven't enjoyed reading it.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
re Kane/Hesson, I don't think we're gonna have much time to come up with a name. I reckon Hesson will move along reasonably soon.

Spark

Global Moderator
As someone who's just signed up this thread is tough going! I've been an admin/mod on another (non-cricket) forum for about ten years, and after a while it absolutely drives you over the edge and into complete insanity. Keeping the vibe you want is an extremely difficult job, so I think the criticism towards the admin/mods in this thread has been extremely harsh. Haven't enjoyed reading it.
I mean, ultimately, people are free to think whatever they want about me or any of the other moderators. Our priority here, though, is the community and the general atmosphere of the forum (which I'm sure all would agree has not been very good in this thread—in fact it's been as poor in a tour thread as I've seen in a long time, though not quite India/England 2012 vintage), which matters far more than any single poster or whatever. Our policy is to try to let arguments run their course and let people express their opinions honestly and fully without descending into crass flamewars, but at some point a line has to be drawn and it says "alright, _____ line of posting is pissing a lot of people off, could we please stop that".

Despite that, though, all of us are cricket watchers and posters first, moderators a very distant second, and having to waste large amounts of time having to babysit threads and try, often in vain, to have people adhere to simple instructions is not how I or anyone else wants to spend their time, though. I'd rather just watch the cricket.

Last edited:

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
I mean, ultimately, people are free to think whatever they want about me or any of the other moderators. Our priority here, though, is the community and the general atmosphere of the forum (which I'm sure all would agree has not been very good in this thread—in fact it's been as poor in a tour thread as I've seen in a long time, though not quite India/England 2012 vintage), which matters far more than any single poster or whatever. Despite that, though, all of us are cricket watchers and posters first, moderators a very distant second, and having to waste large amounts of time having to babysit threads and try, often in vain, to have people adhere to simple instructions is not how I or anyone else wants to spend their time, though. I'd rather just watch the cricket.
Well going by what I've seen of this place previous to signing up you all seem to be doing a great job. I was amazed it was so friendly on here tbh, a very far cry from most other places on the net that you can discuss cricket on! Definitely feel your pain though.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Nah, **** that affects teams within the game is he way to go in cases like this. Same reason no **** bowls a no ball in odis or T20s but oversteps in tests - no free hit, no immediate impact on the game at hand.