• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What makes a good test pitch?

cnerd123

likes this
Not a fan of underprepared pitches. I can live with one once in a while though.
A) Don't use the word 'underprepared'. These pitches were prepared to behave exactly as they did. It wasn't a result of running out of time or something.

B) You're not a fan. Fine. Don't watch games on these pitches then. But agree with me that these pitches are not, objectively speaking, poor.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
If a pitch is offering such uneven turn from day 1, they are very much under prepared and poor. Whether they are underperared intentionally or unintentionally is irrelevant.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Whereas any pitch where a fast bowler can drag it half way down and be legitmately threatening is okay?
yes because bowling a good bouncer requires athleticism and skill. Any **** can bowl a slow long hop so it shouldn't be rewarded.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
yes because bowling a good bouncer requires athleticism and skill. Any **** can bowl a slow long hop so it shouldn't be rewarded.
I'm sorry. I wasn't aware any **** could put the amount of revolutions on the ball that Mishra, Ashwin, Jadeja and Tahir can. I look forward to your test debut next time NZ tour India sir.

cnerd123

likes this
See this is what I'm talking about. This inherent superiority that cricket fans and experts all around the world try to give to fast bowling and fast bowlers and seam and swing. Absolutely no respect for spinner and their craft. It's ridiculous.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
I'm sorry. I wasn't aware any **** could put the amount of revolutions on the ball that Mishra, Ashwin, Jadeja and Tahir can. I look forward to your test debut next time NZ tour India sir.
pitches that favour spin =/= pitches with uneven bounce that reward rubbish bowling

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
See this is what I'm talking about. This inherent superiority that cricket fans and experts all around the world try to give to fast bowling and fast bowlers and seam and swing. Absolutely no respect for spinner and their craft. It's ridiculous.
you're just reading what you want to read at this point. At no point did I say any of that. If anything pitches which allow spinners to drag it short without punishment devalue real spinners because part timers and hacks become just as threatening.

cnerd123

likes this
pitches that favour spin =/= pitches with uneven bounce that reward rubbish bowling
No one is defending pitches that favours slow nude non-spinning long hops.

Whats wrong with a pitch that allows spinners like Ashwin and Mishra to be a threat even if they bowl a shorter length? Whats wrong with that?

Spark

Global Moderator
:face:

Your argument is getting weird now though. You're basically saying that the pitch should allow bowlers to be threatening even if they bowl trash, which is surely the definition of a bad pitch?

cnerd123

likes this
you're just reading what you want to read at this point. At no point did I say any of that. If anything pitches which allow a bowler to drag it short without punishment devalue real spinners because part timers and hacks become just as threatening.
Re-read our exchange:

any pitch where a spinner can drag it halfway down and be legitmately threatening is a poor pitch
Whereas any pitch where a fast bowler can drag it half way down and be legitmately threatening is okay?
You are the one who used the word 'spinner' to describe 'any **** that bowl slow long-hops'

What's wrong with a proper spinner who puts massive revs on the ball, such as Ashwin and Mishra, being threatening when they drop the ball short? How is this inherently bad for cricket? Are you saying what they do is easier than bowling quick?

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
No one is defending pitches that favours slow nude non-spinning long hops.

Whats wrong with a pitch that allows spinners like Ashwin and Mishra to be a threat even if they bowl a shorter length? Whats wrong with that?
Risk reward. Batting to a spinner is a constant mind game of trying to manipulate the bowlers length, and the bowler trying to manipulate the batsman's movements. If a spinner can drag it short without punishment then it leaves batsmen with no legitimate counterplay. If you play back, you risk being bowled by a grubber. If you come forward, you can't ever get to the pitch.

cnerd123

likes this
Risk reward. Batting to a spinner is a constant mind game of trying to manipulate the bowlers length, and the bowler trying to manipulate the batsman's movements. If a spinner can drag it short without punishment then it leaves batsmen with no legitimate counterplay. If you play back, you risk being bowled by a grubber. If you come forward, you can't ever get to the pitch.
How is this different to a pitch which rewards a fast bowler for banging it in?

Spark

Global Moderator
Re-read our exchange:

You are the one who used the word 'spinner' to describe 'any **** that bowl slow long-hops'

What's wrong with a proper spinner who puts massive revs on the ball, such as Ashwin and Mishra, being threatening when they drop the ball short? How is this inherently bad for cricket? Are you saying what they do is easier than bowling quick?
It's absolutely easier to bowl short offbreaks than it is to bowl a proper bouncer at 145kmh, come on. Which is why the former is universally described as **** bowling.

I literally don't get what you're arguing now.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Yes, bowling short with high revs is very easy. What sets apart great spinners is their immaculate control of length.

Spark

Global Moderator
For real though, what are some actual examples of these pitches that are being referred to? What Test match in the last ten years has been played on a deck where any old quick could drag it down and automatically be threatening (and not get smashed to the fence if they mess it up)?

cnerd123

likes this
There are definitely more bowlers in professional cricket atm who can bowl 140 than there are who can spin the ball that amount. I can think of only 5 spinners in International cricket atm who give it that much rip (Mishra Tahir Ashwin Kaushal Yasir). Bishoo and Rashid too but they bowl it quite slower. Australia alone has more bowlers capable of 140+.

It's a myth that getting massive spin on the ball is easier than bowling quick. Krejza and Kaushal have earned Test matches purely based on how rare this skill is.