• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is Sri Lanka's best ever cricketer?

Who is Sri Lanka's best ever cricketer?

• Muttiah Muralitharan

Votes: 34 81.0%
  • Kumar Sangakkara

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • Mahela Jayawardene

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aravinda De Silva

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • Chaminda Vaas

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

viriya

International Captain
He would average lower than 19 if he played B/Zim a bit more. I don't know why this even needs to be pointed out.
He averaged 19.5 in the 3 tests he played vs Ban/Zim. Nothing to suggest that he would have obviously lowered his average below 19.

viriya

International Captain
Nah, the comparison between Bradman and Murali is flawed, still. Just because they both cashed in on minnows means nothing. Murali is not the bowling equivalent of Bradman, no matter how you try to portray him.
I didn't say that. I said Murali had a period of bowling comparable to Bradman's career. Overall career-wise, Bradman is far ahead.

Bradman averaged 100 over a career when a great batsman usually averages 50 (+100% better).

Murali averaged 19 during a period equivalent to Bradman's career when a great bowler usually averages 25 (+31% better)
Murali averaged 7.2 wkts/mat during a period equivalent to Bradman's career when a great bowler usually averages 4 wkts/mat (+80% better)

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Consistent performances for 2.5 years. He has averaged 70 since the start of 2013.

#2 isn't clear cut though. Any one of the top 10 could get to #2 after one test. Only clear position is #1 with AB.
But ICC ratings say Joe Root and Steven Smith are 1 and 2.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Any ways, I will stop. Stats aren't every thing in cricket. Just following stats blindly doesn't help understand cricket. That's all I will say here.

viriya

International Captain
Any ways, I will stop. Stats aren't every thing in cricket. Just following stats blindly doesn't help understand cricket. That's all I will say here.
As one CW poster says: "eyes not spreadsheets" :)

Anyway, just so that you are aware that I'm not just using boring numbers that people use to rate innings, hope you take a look at the factors considered to rate batting (13 factors) and bowling (11 factors) here:
cricrate | Test Batting Ratings
cricrate | Test Bowling Ratings

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Okay I will Viriya and get back to you on it. Right now brain is gone trying to argue with you.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
It was Doctor Who (in the William Hartnell years) who said. "You know the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views."

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
How does he not dominate? None of those fast bowlers even managed 6 wkts/mat @ 19 for 50 tests.
Hadlee's last 50 tests 276 wickets (5.5 per test) at 19.41 while while averaging 32.5 with the bat - not too shabby. Btw my world xi attack would be Marshall, Hadlee, Barnes, Murali, Sobers

viriya

International Captain
Hadlee's last 50 tests 276 wickets (5.5 per test) at 19.41 while while averaging 32.5 with the bat - not too shabby. Btw my world xi attack would be Marshall, Hadlee, Barnes, Murali, Sobers
Hadlee is probably the fast bowler that's most likely to get close to 19 @ 7.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
How can one get 7 wickets per match if there are other good bowlers in his team. Pretty sure Lill ee or McGrath would end up with more wickets per test otherwise. Agh.

viriya

International Captain
How can one get 7 wickets per match if there are other good bowlers in his team. Pretty sure Lill ee or McGrath would end up with more wickets per test otherwise. Agh.
It's practically impossible for fast bowlers even if no help. That's why I talked about <19. Either way, no fast bowler has even done 6 wkts/test for 50 tests.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Hadlee is probably the fast bowler that's most likely to get close to 19 @ 7.
So you admit it's (WPM) not really an indication of who's best, but more who's great but lacks support from other bowlers?