• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian captaincy succession order?

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If we assume the top 5 might be as Burgey said...

Rogers
Warner
Doolan
TPC
Watson

...which I think it will be now that Clarke is out (surely Doolan keeps his spot now), is it wise to have MMarsh at #6?

I don't think it is. We need a proper batsman, not a young AR. In which case, who is the best batsman in the country outside of the top 5? I really think we should consolidate our batting. Need to get over this AR ****.
Get Rob Quiney back, the dude can score a killer 9 runs.

the big bambino

International Captain
Agree with Burgey regarding the lack of credentials of our batting. You could have some confidence with Warner and Smitty supporting Clarke. Maybe Rogers too. Even then we weren't going to get the runs we did v India last time out here. Without Clarke I just wonder where the runs for our bowlers to bowl at will come from. With India playing 3 of Aron, Yadav, Ishant or Shami they have some fire power to worry us even before this setback.

Atm I'm not too worried about captaincy. I'd prefer Smith but yeah Haddin's fine for the time being. The batting needs to tar up a few holes and I'm not sure who'd be the best stopper. fwiw my side for Brisbane:

Warner
Rogers
Watson
Doolan
Smith
S Marsh
Haddin
Johnson
Harris
Hazlewood
Lyons

Can't tell you hard it was to pick smarsh but there it is. I'm not convinced about his brother at six either. Just as it would be too much to expect Clarke, given he was playing, to reproduce the runs against India last time surely S Marsh wont be as bad either. So in he goes. Very much a movable feast atm. Will be looking for runs from Usman, Hughes and White to change my mind. I've been quietly keen on White for a few years. I think his so called "new found maturity" should be trusted to see if it can benefit the test team.

Last edited:

the big bambino

International Captain
He does and I'm being unfair. He has to be in front of all the other candidates I've mentioned tbt. He can play the hitting game at six but with this side we might need the nursing kind of six that can cajole runs out of the late order. I don't think he has the technique and experience to do that. Besides with him and Watto the side has that Mickey Arthur look to it. So for six I'll go for his brother.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Rogers
Warner
Doolan
Watson
S.Marsh
Smith

I wouldn't hate this. SMarsh polarizes opinion, but FMD there's no doubt he can bat.

the big bambino

International Captain
Btw did anyone read Greg Growden's article on Pat Howard? Apparently for our cricket to be successful it should follow the example of our rugby union. :-O :laugh: 8-)

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Btw did anyone read Greg Growden's article on Pat Howard? Apparently for our cricket to be successful it should follow the example of our rugby union. :-O :laugh: 8-)
CA began using the Wallabies' template of giving teams a big head start in the UAE recently. Worked well.

dermo

International Vice-Captain
mitch marsh will be 6 at the gabba, he's earned it

will be interesting to see where doolan stands, he's the obvious replacement for clarke but i could definitely see burns coming in as the "knows the conditions" selection

cricket australia have always been fans of callum ferguson to and he is in the runs so he's definitely a candidate

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I'd be happy with any of White, Doolan, Ferguson or Burns for that position, tbh. Could even handle Tom Cooper if utterly necessary.

Rogers
Warner
Watson
White/Doolan/Ferguson/Burns
Smith
MMarsh
Haddin
Johnson
Harris
Lyon
Hazlewood/Siddle

Gnske

Rogers
Warner
Doolan
Watson
S.Marsh
Smith

I wouldn't hate this. SMarsh polarizes opinion, but FMD there's no doubt he can bat.
Sure he can bat, a pity he can't bat well nor consistently. One Darsh in the team is plenty, besides we need someone consistent not some scrub who scores a million ducks with a ton in between and somehow still gets selected.

social

mitch marsh will be 6 at the gabba, he's earned it

will be interesting to see where doolan stands, he's the obvious replacement for clarke but i could definitely see burns coming in as the "knows the conditions" selection

cricket australia have always been fans of callum ferguson to and he is in the runs so he's definitely a candidate
Runs should be the only currency as there can be little doubt amongst the contenders as to what's at stake

Unfortunately, I don't think this rule will apply to Marsh (as it never has)

dermo

International Vice-Captain
I'd be happy with any of White, Doolan, Ferguson or Burns for that position, tbh. Could even handle Tom Cooper if utterly necessary.

Rogers
Warner
Watson
White/Doolan/Ferguson/Burns
Smith
MMarsh
Haddin
Johnson
Harris
Lyon
Hazlewood/Siddle
shaun marsh would be a lot closer to selection than white imo