• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fast/Seam Bowlers of the 1990s - anyone for a Top Ten?

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Impressive for Donald, sure, but Akram was a master with reverse swing. Abrasive wickets would help him, which is why he bowled some unbelievable spells in Sri Lanka in 2000-01, and even in West Indies.

SeamUp

International Coach
I used to love Javagal Srinath to be fair. Still better than Zaheer for me. Used to love Javagal's arms. :D

There was so much to love about cricket in the 90's. Probably the last of the really old school generation hard as nails type cricket carry over.

But can't disagree much with Weldone's list of 14.

But how was this peach from Javagal...

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Impressive for Donald, sure, but Akram was a master with reverse swing. Abrasive wickets would help him, which is why he bowled some unbelievable spells in Sri Lanka in 2000-01, and even in West Indies.
Fair point. It is difficult to choose between Donald and Akram.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Srinath could have been the greatest fast bowler produced by India. His issue was that he used to get his length all wrong when touring abroad. In the very last phase of his career, he did get his length right and he finally was pretty good. If he had carried on for a couple more years (Ganguly did want him to carry on at the time), it would have been pretty awesome.

OverratedSanity

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
"Fraser's approach to the wicket currently resembles someone who has caught his braces in the sightscreen"

the big bambino

International Captain
Seem to remember the WI being fairly decent in Fraser's time. If you were going base your rep dominating a side you could do worse.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
It'll be interesting to see what Tendulkar writes about all these bowlers in his autobiography. I hope he writes in detail.

OverratedSanity

yeah, loved it when Wasim used to reverse swing it. Not the best quality but some lovely reverse swing in some of the wickets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-INotJXVRo
That's one of my all time favorite test matches and probably the best Pakistan choke ever along with the Sydney match. IIRC Pakistan missed 2 runout chances when Walsh and Jimmy Adams were at the same end, and ended up losing by one wicket. :lol:

Such an amazing game. Wasim was phenomenal.

smash84

The Tiger King
That's one of my all time favorite test matches and probably the best Pakistan choke ever along with the Sydney match. IIRC Pakistan missed 2 runout chances when Walsh and Jimmy Adams were at the same end, and ended up losing by one wicket. :lol:

Haha, yeah. Was an epic series. Also billy doctroves pathetic umpiring ensured that we wouldn't win.

smash84

The Tiger King

That Sydney match can't be compared to this. That had kamran khatmal written all over it. Worst ever performance imo.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
This is one among many examples of Ambrose ripping through decent batting lineups.

He took 11 wickets - 5 in the first innings and 6 in the 2nd. The list included Mike Atherton, Alec Stewart (twice), Graeme Hick, Graham Thorpe (twice), Robin Smith (twice), Jack Russell (twice).

In the 2nd innings, England was bundled by Ambrose and Walsh for 46, which is some kind of a record [either the lowest fourth innings total in WI, or lowest innings total for Eng against WI].

Scorecard - 1993-1994 Wisden Trophy - 3rd Test - 25/03/1994

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
But I thought you didn't rate 90s England?
Exactly, I choose my words carefully.

legendary>excellent>very good>good>'decent' IMO
:)

Among Ambrose's 11 wickets, only 1 was of a tailender - against a team that was not a minnow...commendable achievement when you consider how cheap those wickets were and how massive was the collapse in the 2nd innings...

I'd call the NZ or the SL batting lineup of 1994 'decent' as well ftr.

Last edited:

ImpatientLime

International Regular
Decent means as decent says. You rate them as decent test match players.

To 'not rate' someone is to completely dismiss them as test match players.

Oh and Darren Gough and Angus Fraser were both a league above Dion Nash and Javagal Srinath as test match bowlers. On Vaas' and Streaks level too.

Last edited: