• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sadly short test careers...

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
And Fred, surprised you haven't mentioned Larwood yet - probably #1 on my list of careers cut way too short.
I like the fact that the "scoreline" between Lol and Bradman remained 1-1 as I think we can safely say that the Don would have bested him in '34 had he had the chance

..... and I agree Archie Jackson will always be the classic example of this - wonderful batsman and by all accounts a terrific bloke - great mate of Lol of course, and even took the trouble on his deathbed to send him a supportive telegram in 32/33

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Iain O'Brien - took him until May 2008 to establish his place in the New Zealand side where he proved himself as an excellent 3rd seamer and blogger, only to retire 18 months later.

African Monkey

U19 Vice-Captain
Iain O'Brien - took him until May 2008 to establish his place in the New Zealand side where he proved himself as an excellent 3rd seamer and blogger, only to retire 18 months later.
Yeah a strange one. Picked kind of from nowhere to play the all-conquering Aussies in 05 before making a comeback in that disasterous 07 tour to SA, where he didn't show a lot, and people were moaning that Michael Mason should have been picked ahead of him, before proving a lot of people wrong (including myself) on that 08 tour to England, and converted me ever since.

Would be the perfect 1st change in our current bowling lineup.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mfuneko Ngam and Brett Schultz.

Schultz and Donald would have been a deadly combo.
Good call.

To add to Archie Jackson, I remember JBMAC posting about a guy called Karl Schneider a couple of years back. Sadly he never even played Tests, but he's another "what if".

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Yeah a strange one. Picked kind of from nowhere to play the all-conquering Aussies in 05 before making a comeback in that disasterous 07 tour to SA, where he didn't show a lot, and people were moaning that Michael Mason should have been picked ahead of him, before proving a lot of people wrong (including myself) on that 08 tour to England, and converted me ever since.

Would be the perfect 1st change in our current bowling lineup.
Reckon both should have played more than they did tbh.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has

Would've been right up there with the very best of all time if his body worked.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
O'Brien was up around express pace in that spell. Was he always so quick or was it a last big effort for his final Test?
He got quicker as his career progressed - started off in the 135-140 range, but by the time of that Pakistan series his first spells were consistently 140+

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Damien Fleming. Sans injury could've taken something like 300+ wickets @ ~25, which probably would see him as one of the better bowlers to play Test cricket.