• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in New Zealand 2013/14

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Bhuvi doing his bit, with Shammi proving to be a reasonably good death bowler our attack does have some potential, if only we can get rid of Ishant and get another solid fast bowler and we can compete reasonably well overseas.

Blocky

Banned
Kumar and Shami have been sensational at the death here. You guys need to give them credit - they're making this more like a 280 chase instead of a 300

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
It's gotta be Mishra as next in line. He did really well to earn his recall in the Australia series. Pity he ended up with poor figures in that one game though. Bowled well first up, had a chance that went down iirc and a mi**** that nearly carried. Bailey took him apart after that and he ended up with **** figures and got dropped again.

He's a legit attacking option though. Really rate him.
This. Mishra is the one Indian spinner with very good bowling figures in the last three years. Somehow, Dhoni doesn't like him much. He too struggles on flats, but he's a lot more daring with turn and flight than the flat bowlers we see playing for India. He's got the credentials, but no backing whatsoever.

Blakey

State Vice-Captain
Yes because those pickup shots over deep mid-wicket were classical cricket strokes. Its slogging alright just not tailend hitting with no skill or technique.
Guess you need to add Anderson's stroke play to 'classical cricket strokes' because there is no way he was out of control, lacking in technique or hitting wildly in hope (that's what I term as slogging).

They were strokes of pure beauty.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Dhawan's mi****s will be boundaries. Kohli will ton up real quick I reckon. Dhoni will loft more than usual as well considering the ground size. Should be a moderately difficult chase. Not too tough, not too easy.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Guess you need to add Anderson's stroke play to 'classical cricket strokes' because there is no way he was out of control, lacking in technique or hitting wildly in hope (that's what I term as slogging).

They were strokes of pure beauty.
Oh so you think slogging is a bad term. Its ****ing awesome really. Lots of risks/sixes = slogging to me. There are good and bad sloggers. Anderson isn't bad.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
I do hope Dhoni bats at four this time. With his ODI record, he's not being responsible by hiding at six or seven. In a high chase like this, he should bat at four, so that he can build partnerships, or even attack from the first ball. He's also a lot smarter than Raina, at the very least. India's top four should be Rohit, Gambhir, Kohli and Dhoni, especially now.

Bhuvneshwar Kumar is completely unconvincing. Compare his 32 wickets in 28 games to McClenaghan's 47 wickets in 19.

I hope India doesn't lose Shami because of his economy rate.

Last edited:

Blocky

Banned
Oh so you think slogging is a bad term. Its ****ing awesome really. Lots of risks/sixes = slogging to me. There are good and bad sloggers. Anderson isn't bad.
Slogging is what Ross Taylor does, relying on one shot, walking across your stumps to play a horrible heave across the line of any ball and hope for the best.

Anderson is very still at the crease, has great head position and holds great shape through the shot, it's why he's able to crunch bowling outside off for flat sixes over mid off, play the cut shot hard and loft it, be able to pull the shorter deliveries and yes, when the bowler drifts onto the stumps and he's got room, he's able to play a shot that goes over long on. Even that shot isn't a slog in terms of a Steve Waugh slog sweep, it's a controlled cricket shot, his head remains still right until the point of contact with his hip open to allow the bat plane to swing right through, generally straight - rather than angled.

It's beautiful consistent power hitting, not swing and hope - Ronchi? That's a guy that's slogging. Anderson? That's just a very clean hitter in some fantastic form.

Blocky

Banned
I do hope Dhoni bats at four this time. With his ODI record, he's not being responsible by hiding at six or seven. In a high chase like this, he should bat at four, so that he can build partnerships, or even attack from the first ball. He's also a lot smarter than Raina, at the very least. India's top four should be Rohit, Gambhir, Kohli and Dhoni, especially now.

Bhuvneshwar Kumar is completely unconvincing. Compare his 32 wickets in 28 games to McClenaghan's 47 wickets in 19.
And then compare the roads that he has to bowl on in India that are made for sides to chase down 300 consistently, versus the pitches in New Zealand that generally offer the bowlers something early in the match.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year

What kind of comparison is that? I read somewhere that McClenaghan is close to being the second faster to 50 ODI wkts, you compare anyone with him at this stage and they would look bad. They play different sort of roles for their teams, besides Bhuvi's economy rate is much better.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Cricinfo

leave alone Ish: "Come on guys, Ishant took the wicket of Anderson, the most destructive batsman, and then Shami comes and takes few wickets. Now every body will praise Shami and thrash Ishant."
suren: "Ishant has given away less when compared to Shami. Why do you guys blame him always.. poor chap!!!"
/wrists