• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand Domestic Season 2013/2014

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I wonder if we'll see players moving FC provinces (or signing with the closest to them) to be closer to their 20/20 franchise to minimise travel expenses etc, much like Super Plastic No One Outside of Main Cities Cares 15 Rugby
Has only happened a little bit in Australia with the BBL separation; usually only if a player is actually de-registered from his FC/OD state team really.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Haven't a lot of the BBL sides tried to hire as many locals as possible though to stay relevant to their area?
Not really. :p

In many cases it's just easier because the coach is often the same and the players then don't have to relocate over the holidays when the Big Bash is; I don't think they've done it to stick to their roots.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Yeah it is interesting to me how South Africa always strikes that deal with Foxtel, yet just dourly and unamusedly hangs up the phone on SkyNZ's cheeky lowball bids, summer after summer.

South Africa's a good niche for these guys actually, who've been making opportunistic purchases of sports events where Sky cbf. So far the best they've done with cricket is the Caribbean Premier League -
Cricket - Sommet Sports
Seems like we've got the Sri Lanka - Pakistan tests. Watching it on the Sky GO app thingo atm.

Flem274*

123/5
Hm. Well if ND get two sides and the entire central to south North Island one (lawl) then there will have to be some serious moving.

Not that I really want Will Young near Power Siddons to begin a new line of front foot biffers.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Not really. :p

In many cases it's just easier because the coach is often the same and the players then don't have to relocate over the holidays when the Big Bash is; I don't think they've done it to stick to their roots.
Yeah, the main movement that's been seen is guys with no other cricket tying them down (Aaron O'Brien, Travis Birt) and guys moving back to their childhood areas (Nathan Hauritz, Shane Watson, Mitch Johnson to name three from the Heat). The Thunder are the only side who don't look like a state team + a few, and that's probably because they suck.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah, the main movement that's been seen is guys with no other cricket tying them down (Aaron O'Brien, Travis Birt) and guys moving back to their childhood areas (Nathan Hauritz, Shane Watson, Mitch Johnson to name three from the Heat). The Thunder are the only side who don't look like a state team + a few, and that's probably because they suck.
Yeah, a lot of the time it just gives players an excuse to go back home and see their families over Christmas.

(Nathan Hauritz actually plays for Queensland now though..)

Flem274*

123/5
I reckon a big jumble up and trying to snare as many big name or just good players as possible, regardless of province, would be a mistake imo. People only go to domestic 20/20 because it's fun and a lot of the home players are usually locals who live and work in the area since cricket doesn't pay enough to be a real job (this is also why I reckon CD should play in Palmy more often - half of their young players are either Palmy boys or at the university). The hardest part of the new system will be finding out how to make fans care after spending 50 years supporting the same 6 teams. Cricket isn't a big money sport in New Zealand, so I see this competition flopping hard without NZC lifelines.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Cricket: Teams make small steps on path to private ownership - Sport - NZ Herald News

The Herald understands the two associations strongly supporting franchising are Northern Districts and Canterbury. Auckland are seen as being towards the other end of the scale, although their chief executive Mark Cameron described their view as being "we are interested, let's have a look".
Cricket: Opening for private investors | Otago Daily Times Online News : Otago, South Island, New Zealand & International News

Mills also did not want to see a system implemented like Australia, where only the T20 teams were franchised, believing it just created operational and commercial difficulties.

"One-day and four-day cricket are key parts of our operation and also need to be enhanced. Under the right financial model, we're certain investors would be interested in all three," he said.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, a lot of the time it just gives players an excuse to go back home and see their families over Christmas.

(Nathan Hauritz actually plays for Queensland now though..)
Yeah, but he was still at NSW when he moved to the Heat IIRC. Went back to QLD the following season.

Flem274*

123/5
ND thinking they have enough to support two teams for all cricket:lol:

CD getting merged with Wellington? Spare me. We're doing fine on our own without needing to support the slowly dying careers of James Franklin, Grant Elliott and Mark Gillespie.

Auckland already supplies so many exports to the other sides. Madness to give a province like ND which has fielded more than enough Hawke Cup batting line ups over the years two teams ahead of Auckland.

And I really don't think full privatisation can survive, let alone be profitable. Not without a heavy focus on 20/20 anyway, which would kill NZ off as a test nation for good.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Hey, you're running off with a Kippax Tale like it's fact. I only came up with the Firebucks as a bogeyman to make our sides play better itbt.

Flem274*

123/5
You mean your psychomalogical inferences aren't facts?

Well damn, I don't know what I'm going to post about anymore except "pick <CD player>" ad nauseum.

Flem274*

123/5
We're not going to get a game at Pukekura Park. It was beautiful all day until 20 minutes ago.but the clouds have rolled in. Not raining yet but drizzling with massive drops hitting my window. Heavens will open any minute.

I live 30 minutes away from the ground ftr.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
They're getting six overs per side ftr, not ideal for those little pea-shooters in green. Give Henry Collier a game.