• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who will play their last test during the Australian Ashes series?

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Monty perhaps? Might get a go at Sydney but unlikely to be picked for the home Tests - even if Swann were dropped/crocked they could well go with Tredwell as a like-for-like. Don't know if we're touring in Asia at all next winter though.

Carberry yeah, hard to see what he brings that Compton didn't. Guy had earned a chance though IMO.
You aren't playing any Tests full stop in the 2014/15 season. Next Asian tour is to Pakistan (UAE) after the 2015 Ashes.

morgieb

Anyway, like some others have said, if they're gonna make calls on senior players (i.e. Rogers, Watson, Bailey) it will be after South Africa IMO. Harris could go if he picks up another serious injury, but that's unlikely. Haddin will remain until the World Cup (where he admitted he'll give it up).

For England, it's hard to see Tremlett (lost his nip, a trundler now basically) and Trott (depression, sadly) play again.

benchmark00

:laugh:

Quality humour aside, stress illnesses can lead to depression in particularly vulnerable people, but they're not the same thing.

A more accurate comparison would be:

"Stress illnesses is to depression what going to the Golden Sheaf is to STI's"

It may lead to it, but it's not a done deal.

BoyBrumby

Englishman

Quality humour aside, stress illnesses can lead to depression in particularly vulnerable people, but they're not the same thing.

Well, I'm no psychiatrist (I know, it comes as a shock to many, especially my patients), so what you say is probably technically true, but I think in this case they are synonyms.

There was an interview on Sky immediately after with Trescothick and he pretty much confirmed his own "stress related illness" was just a polite way of describing depression.

In fact, Trott's departure has been openly ascribed to depression up here. Take this article by Kevin Garside in The Independent.

Kevin Garside said:
Trott was said to be suffering from stress. So stigmatised is the term “depression” we had to find a polite way of sending Trott home.

benchmark00

Maybe. Or maybe he just has a stress illness and is managing it so it doesn't lead to depression.

And that's poor from Garside. All of us suffer from some form of stress, but that's different from a stress related illness.

Last edited:

Riggins

International Captain

best thing about sydney imo. dem wednesday nights.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Agreed. And I'm tempted to agree with the guy who reckons KP might call it a day, especially if we go down 0-5.
Us losing would make KP less likely to pack it in IMO. He'd want to be part of the glorious reclamation in 2015.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
If this series is Monty's last, they are wasting a perfectly good bowler for an absolute roller in Tredwell. He's a liability in the field, but selectors would be crazy to pass him up for Tredders or Kerrigan. [For all the talk of Monty bowling short (which is inevitable when batsmen use their feet), he still was more economical than Swann and created more chances.] Puts plenty of revolutions on the ball, which compensates for his faster pace. Maybe if Dockrell trades in his passport, skipping Monty makes some sense, but not otherwise.

I don't think this series will see the last tests for most players except one, sadly:
View attachment 21011

I know, blasphemy.
You made this post one day before Smith made his ton. Awks.

Spark

Global Moderator
Was pretty mediocre over here, and I thought he wasn't that great in England. I could be wrong regarding the latter though.
Why do people keep saying this? It just isn't true. He wasn't amazing in England but he did absolutely fine IMO

morgieb

Why do people keep saying this? It just isn't true. He wasn't amazing in England but he did absolutely fine IMO
TBF, I actually had a look at the stats, and he bowled very well there.

Still maintain Harris is a better bowler however, though if I were picking a side I'd probably take Philander.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Was pretty mediocre over here, and I thought he wasn't that great in England. I could be wrong regarding the latter though.
One bad test in Brisbane (where no one bowled well) and one solid performance in Perth.

He won South Africa the test at Lord's against England. Outbowled Steyn at Headingley, and wasn't great at The Oval.

If that's the worst of Philander than it just backs up that he is an absolute jet.

Edit: just saw your post acknowledging his England series