• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Indian Domestic Season 2013/14

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Rishi Dhawan is having a really really good this season this time with both bat and ball.

Wonder how far he is from a national call up ?

Should be in A squads regularly if he has improved his bowling.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes, the only player in India who has the potential to be either the pace bowling allrounder that Dhoni is looking for, or the next Irfan Pathan..

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!

I hate to be one of those ****s who always look at the speed gun first, but really..

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
That is from last year though. Bowls low 130's these days from what i've read.

Was pretty decent in the IPL IIRC. Decent batting technique too.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah, I think what'll attract the selectors to him is that he could play the Bhuvi role in theory and then add much more with the bat. Swing the new ball, come on and bowl some tight stuff later on if needed and then make up for the fact that he's such a limited role-specific bowling by averaging 30s with the bat. He'd be an "at home only" prospect for that reason, where the spinners would be bowling lots of overs and Dhoni would be at six, but I don't think only bowling ~130 would hold him back from that if he moved the new ball consistently and had good control.

I haven't seen enough of him to really comment on whether he is good enough to do that (is he actually anywhere near as good as Bhuvi with the ball, pace similarities aside? would he really average 30+ with the bat? etc) but I think that's what he/the selectors/CricAddict would be looking towards.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, I think what'll attract the selectors to him is that he could play the Bhuvi role in theory and then add much more with the bat. Swing the new ball, come on and bowl some tight stuff later on if needed and then make up for the fact that he's such a limited role-specific bowling by averaging 30s with the bat. He'd be an "at home only" prospect for that reason, where the spinners would be bowling lots of overs and Dhoni would be at six, but I don't think only bowling ~130 would hold him back from that if he moved the new ball consistently and had good control.

I haven't seen enough of him to really comment on whether he is good enough to do that (is he actually anywhere near as good as Bhuvi with the ball, pace similarities aside? would he really average 30+ with the bat? etc) but I think that's what he/the selectors/CricAddict would be looking towards.
Don't think he was as good a bowler as BK last time i saw him. Though it's been a while and he has supposed to have improved a bit since then.

Looks to have potential to average 30 with the bat though.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm not really gung-ho about Rishi Dhawan for India, as the team already has Bhuvi Kumar, who's also quite capable with the bat, has a good record across formats (well, not quite in T20, but better than Dhawan in ODs), did well against better quality opposition, and of course, is an Indian team regular. Dhawan's played a lot less, and is only 30 games old, while Bucky had played nearly 50 matches when he got his first India cap in Tests. For an immediate choice, you already have him. Dhawan can wait for a couple of years.

VRV Singh, ironically, was one of those bright young pace finds in Indian cricket, who could barely stay fit. He's a lot fitter now, but let's see him finish an entire season. I saw him in action, and he bowled tight, stump to stump. Looked good. Mohit Sharma, not so tight, but still decent. As for the 'way too slow for international cricket' argument, it's a catch-22 situation when you have no patience for Umesh Yadav, who sprays it around at a high pace, but are still scared of appointing Pankaj Singh as a spearhead just because he's not fast enough.

Last edited:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Bumrah seems to be getting wickets on all tracks.

Unorthodox action and bowls deceptively quick IIRC.

nsniks

State Vice-Captain
Ya saw him a little bit in IPL, looks like a wicket taking bowler. In other news Rishi Dhawan picks up 2 more wickets in second innings, if he keeps up this form he might get selected for NZ tour. I really wish Star could telecast a match in which Himachal is playing so that we could take a look how he is bowling

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Saw parts of today's game, and I would prefer Mohit Sharma leading the wickets tally for Haryana to these two slower bowlers (Budhwar and Harshal). Every bowler in this game stuck to the 128-132 km/h bracket. Sandeep Sharma was slower, but moved the ball quite well, and was rewarded with three more scalps. VRV Singh was lucky to get a wicket in the second innings, on a dubious decision. The Haryana batsmen were adventurous towards the end of the session, and kept swinging over point or hooking whenever needed, and were somehow lucky to have fielders a little off position. In case of one hook, unlucky that the ball rammed into the soft outfield and stayed put. Sid Kaul was a bit unlucky to have an easy catch off a very good delivery put down at slip.

All the bowlers were hitting the deck hard, and moving it a little to good effect- no 110K wobblers on display here- except for the odd Sachin Rana delivery. Pity he bowled so little, since he's a better all-rounder than the more famous Joginder Sharma, whose batting has ceased to be relevant.
Mohit Sharma was repeatedly promoted as an India prospect. Way too soon, really. We saw the West Indians hoisting him for big shots, when it wasn't seaming like a typical Lahli track. He needs pace- at least 10K more.

In games we missed, the Mumbai attack made the ball talk, or should I say, run down visiting Vidarbha. Zaheer had taken only two of the ten Vid wickets that fell for 113, giving Mumbai a colossal lead, but kept it tight, and the batsmen had no answer- not even chart-leading Faiz Fazal. Spinner Vishal Dabholkar had a good game, and may keep his impressive season going. I may consider travelling to the ground on the third day to catch some action, but I may see more cricket on the televised match, played competitively, than at the ground, where it's all one-sided.

Sad to see Rajasthan in danger of sinking. Hopefully they can turn it around in the final innings- all of Pankaj, Robin and Menaria need some decent opposition to face if they have to play for India. Baroda, not so sad to see them sink, since they don't have any relevant players now, with both Pathans struggling for form and fitness, and Munaf not running through teams- but Yusuf has taken four wickets with his spin partner (also taking four), and scored a century, on an extreme turner at Moti Bagh Stadium in Baroda (back to their old tricks, eh?), and the team may win massively. MP crushed for 60, in response to Baroda's 100-something.

Weird. That's what I think of struggling A-group team Jharkhand's selection. They had some success with the pace trio of Aaron, Shankar Rao and Ajay Yadav. All three were benched for the game against Gujarat, in Gujarat, where the ball is supposed to turn a lot- so they played two spinners plus Sunny Gupta. Guess what- six of ten Jharkhand wickets were taken by seamers. Now Jharkhand is struggling to take Gujarat wickets, and only one down so far, to Shahbaz Nadeem- the other is a run-out.

One more seamer in good form is Abu Nechim, who's got 17 wickets in five games so far. His team is also in the running for a place in a higher group. Not so good to see Umesh Yadav struggle to take that one wicket in Mumbai. Ishwar Pandey and Pankaj Singh, though, had better games. And, of course, Jalaj Saxena - five matches, 28 wickets. Also chipping in with the bat, without any fifties and hundreds on batting-friendly decks that MP have played on, throughout the season.

By the way, STAR Sports network has been generous to sponsor the Ranji Trophy, so they must be seriously interested in the event. And of course, they are a much bigger entity than Nimbus. They also celebrate mediocrity at times, when they have, among TV shows/segments on certain Indian cricketers, a show/segment called 'Swinging Shami'.

@Daemon - Fast enough for us fans, but not fast enough for the selectors. They seem to want blokes who can bowl at Umesh Yadav's pace, but only end up getting bowlers with Umesh Yadav's economy rate. I'm game for Pankaj Singh opening the bowling, and replacing Zaheer, especially after the South Africa tour. He's very fit, and very consistent, and should have been picked ahead of, at least, a woefully off-form Ishant. In case both Bucky and Shami fail, he'll be the one to call upon. Not an extravagant sprayer of the ball, but not a weakling who needs a wicketkeeper standing up to the stumps. I feel there's some kind of tiff between BCCI and Rajasthan's board, and the players miss out.

@Cevno/nsniks - Strangely, the Ambanis did not give JJB too many chances in the IPL. Not surprising, since franchise owners are too scared to risk domestic talent, young or experienced, even though they offer plenty of opportunities to overseas rookies, like the Ambanis' own Aiden Blizzard and Davey Jacobs. Hopefully the next IPL gives him more time in the middle. Likewise, Rishi Dhawan. I wouldn't mind if he was bowling in the 128-132k range, as long as he can move the ball to good effect, and also has decent batting technique.

Last edited:

nsniks

State Vice-Captain
It seems the attack for first test would be Zak/Shami/Bhuvi until or unless Yadav performs exceptionally well in ODI's. Yadav leaking runs and not taking wickets is not a good sign for him

JontyPanesar

U19 Vice-Captain
It seems the attack for first test would be Zak/Shami/Bhuvi until or unless Yadav performs exceptionally well in ODI's. Yadav leaking runs and not taking wickets is not a good sign for him
Yeah, those figures look disastrous. Just the sort of thing to scare the selectors into picking Zak based solely on experience (not that he shouldn't otherwise be picked, but it's no longer a close call).

Idk why I overlooked just how stacked TN's batting is (Vijay, Mukund, Badri, DK, Baba...wow). Curious to see how the FTBs(+Pujara) of Saurashtra go on this Chepauk pitch.

Daemon

Punjab chasing only 135 but I think they'll struggle. Mohit Sharma's bowling really well.

Daemon

They're extremes though, which isn't great either. Lahli basically seams around for all 4 days while apparently the Baroda game was played on a pitch that was turning day 1.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
What do you make of Jalaj Saxena's impressive run in this season? If he's making the ball talk, and not just dropping it on the pitch, he's likely to get an India cap. We've not seen him bowl this season, but the scorecards are impressive.