• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at The Oval

Spark

Global Moderator
Or maybe he's just come in and feeling the pressure because we have gone at a snail pace so doesn't want to take any chances?
England have been turgid, but this pitch is incredibly slow (the slowest of the series, apparently, which I find extraordinary in itself). Yes, England could be showing a bit more (cough) intent, but this isn't ever going to be a free-flowing pitch. One reason why pitches like this are so toss-dependent and frankly so ****.

jackbyrne91

School Boy/Girl Captain
Seems a bit hyperbolic. He might be overrated, unimaginative or not actually responsible for his teams success, which I think is Warne's point. But he's hardly awful.
He seems a very defensive person. I don't think it's what this England team needs to flourish. Players like Pietersen, Root & Prior haven't had the best of series and they are all scoring at much slower rates than they are used to/can comfortably do. There is room for someone to drop anchor and everyone to bat around them but yet again we are 142/2 off 67 overs, its absolutely dire batting and we are just going nowhere. It's a good wicket, quick outfield and we are putting ourselves under pressure here.

jackbyrne91

School Boy/Girl Captain
So KP not timing the ball and looking crap is the others fault is it? FFS.
Things happen, the other team just get a burst of energy, things are going against you and everything is going the other teams way. You have to scratch around and try and stay in there till things go your way.

These sections of play happen more often and in favour of Australia when we continually scratch around for 70 overs.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I love how the slow scoring debate about our top order has managed to move into tests. Seriously?

And no, this doesn't classify as talking about ODI's in the test thread, so quiet Cribb.

91Jmay

International Coach
In Root's case he without question let Starc off with 5 or 6 balls that should have been put away, but Trott and KP are being stopped scoring by excellent bowling and field placements. Not much they can do.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Would you say he's better or worse than Ponting?
Based on what we've seen I'd have to say he's better, but that could definitely change as his career goes on. He hasn't had the same opportunities to make mistakes that Ponting had.

Spark

Global Moderator
I love how the slow scoring debate about our top order has managed to move into tests. Seriously?

And no, this doesn't classify as talking about ODI's in the test thread, so quiet Cribb.
Yeah, there's been a few obvious run-scoring opportunities declined or not taken, but that's what happens when you haven't gotten any fluency in your batting. England have been defensive, yes, but much of that is a response to irritatingly slow pitches and very, very accurate bowling.

I don't think KP getting all aggressive against Lyon right now, for example, would be a wise idea.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
In Root's case he without question let Starc off with 5 or 6 balls that should have been put away, but Trott and KP are being stopped scoring by excellent bowling and field placements. Not much they can do.
Yeah I agree.

Given the state of the game, England should not be looking to unnaturally up the scoring rate for the sake of it. That is, they should still be sticking to the mantra of batting at the tempo that allows them to score the most runs. When the bowling is poor and/or the conditions are good for batting then sometimes that's at over 4rpo, but you get situations like this too. England should absolutely not to be looking to "bat time" at this point and Root missing blocking back pies isn't going to make him any less likely to get out anyway, so that was gifting away free runs and was poor. However there's absolutely no need to force the pace at this point just because some fans want their side to play big dick cricket or because it might make a better spectacle.

jackbyrne91

School Boy/Girl Captain
Pietersen going after Smith early and not letting him settle would be ok.

However 150/2 off 70 overs doesn't really allow you that luxury.