• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Malcolm Marshall vs Glen McGrath

You prefer

• Total voters

the big bambino

International Captain
Would agree with the comments above. I don't think its controversial to say the WI bowling in that 15 yr window was cricket's most formidable. Also their team in the 80s, in particular, were the game's best imo. Though some other sides come close.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Ambrose is the best I've seen. As for best ever that's hard as the case for bowlers is pretty close. I will say though I can't imagine a better bowler than Ambrose, ever.

I also think he kept a disintegrating WI competitive right up to his retirement and would have extended the WI empire to the extreme of 1997 if he wasn't injured for the Adelaide test that season. As strong circumstantial proof of that belief is the WI victory in Perth right after a heavy loss at Adelaide when Ambrose was back in the side.

EDIT: If forced to rate the best I couldn't split what I've seen from Ambrose to what I've read about SF Barnes
Have no issue with that as I rate Ambrose 3rd just ahead of Lillee, so there really is no bad bowlers of the lot and they are all up there for me and no that much between them really. As some others have said Steyn might just be in the top 5 by the time he is finished, so.
Marshall
Mcgrath
Ambrose
Lillee
Steyn/Trueman/Holding/Lindwall/Imran

Still re-evaluating Larwood, so probably put him up there as well with (just ahead of) Garner/Hadlee/Davidson/Donald/Waqar/Wasim in the next tier.

Still see Barnes as more of a spinner than a pacer though, so he doesn't factor in here.

Last edited:

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Would agree with the comments above. I don't think its controversial to say the WI bowling in that 15 yr window was cricket's most formidable. Also their team in the 80s, in particular, were the game's best imo. Though some other sides come close.
Don't think you have ever agreed with anything I have said before, so give me a minuite to get over the shock. :D

Really wanted to sat earlier thought that Bagapath has really constructed some really quality posts earlier in the thread. Didn't get a chance to mention it earlier.

Silfer too.

the big bambino

International Captain
Don't think you have ever agreed with anything I have said before, so give me a minuite to get over the shock. :D

Really wanted to sat earlier thought that Bagapath has really constructed some really quality posts earlier in the thread. Didn't get a chance to mention it earlier.

Silfer too.
I have. Just haven't mentioned it. :) One of the deciding factors favouring the WI from that 15 year period as the game's best is the longevity of the dominance. You could argue it lasted until Oz won in the Carribean in 94 or 95. Its very hard to maintain dominance after achieving it and the WI then did it longer than any other side. The Australian side that took over under Taylor - Waugh - Ponting comes closest followed by the post WW2 Aussies.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I have always personally seen it as there have been three true superstars/Giants of the game. Grace, Bradman and Sobers, but two true phenomenons of the game. Bradman's batting and the West Indies 4 pronged attack from '76 - '91. If one wants to look at how Bradman affected bowler's stats, look at how the West Indian bowlers plus Lillee, Hadlee, Imran, Dev ect would have affected the batting stats of the era. For my money though the quartet was the most dominant force in the history of the game and like Bradman inspired/ forced more rule changes than at any other time.
Yeah, that's my entire point. And IMO Marshall cops criticism for the weakness of the batsmen more than Lillee does, because Lillee's career had a rather large section in the 1970s, in which that phenomenon occurred to a lesser extent IMO.

Slifer

International Captain
I have. Just haven't mentioned it. :) One of the deciding factors favouring the WI from that 15 year period as the game's best is the longevity of the dominance. You could argue it lasted until Oz won in the Carribean in 94 or 95. Its very hard to maintain dominance after achieving it and the WI then did it longer than any other side. The Australian side that took over under Taylor - Waugh - Ponting comes closest followed by the post WW2 Aussies.
IMO the WI dominant period started right after their humbling at the hands of Oz in1976. Thats when Lloyd did away with spinners and loaded up his team with the likes of: Croft, Garner, Holding, Roberts (not to mention Wayne Daniel etc). From 76 up until Lloyd retired I think WI were really dominant beating all other test teams home and away losing only away to NZ and away to India (with a second XI). After Lloyd retired Garner and Holding were in and out of the team more often than not and though the WI were still (IMO) clearly the best team they werent quite as dominant as evidenced by all those draws post 86 (much credit must be given to Imran, Hadlee etc ). Even in 95 WI might have won had Courtney Brown not had butter fingers and dropped Waugh in the critical 4th test In Jamaica. The first time in 20 years that I really knew the torch was passed was when Oz beat us in 96/97. The scoreline read 3-2 in Oz's favor but they really were the much better "team".

smash84

The Tiger King
IMO the WI dominant period started right after their humbling at the hands of Oz in1976. Thats when Lloyd did away with spinners and loaded up his team with the likes of: Croft, Garner, Holding, Roberts (not to mention Wayne Daniel etc). From 76 up until Lloyd retired I think WI were really dominant beating all other test teams home and away losing only away to NZ and away to India (with a second XI). After Lloyd retired Garner and Holding were in and out of the team more often than not and though the WI were still (IMO) clearly the best team they werent quite as dominant as evidenced by all those draws post 86 (much credit must be given to Imran, Hadlee etc ). Even in 95 WI might have won had Courtney Brown not had butter fingers and dropped Waugh in the critical 4th test In Jamaica. The first time in 20 years that I really knew the torch was passed was when Oz beat us in 96/97. The scoreline read 3-2 in Oz's favor but they really were the much better "team".
*sigh*.....seem so far away those glory days of WI cricket....your post does bring back so many memories

the big bambino

International Captain
I have to admit I would have felt upset if we didn't win that 96/97 series. So I guess the bad luck the WI had in losing Ambrose for Adelaide was perhaps compensation for our more consistent play over the breadth of the series.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
I have to admit I would have felt upset if we didn't win that 96/97 series. So I guess the bad luck the WI had in losing Ambrose for Adelaide was perhaps compensation for our more consistent play over the breadth of the series.
Also, even though Ambrose was injured for Adelaide, the other WI bowlers couldve had a much better time had they not over stepped with no balls, 3 wickets off no balls in the innings? Hayden twice, and Bevan i seem to recall. Hopeless stuff.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
We have some young impressive fast bowlers who will start to emerge shortly. Batting wise Bravo needs to emerge and I think Powell has the ability to be a great opener, but yea, the batting has a really long way to go and we don't know how long Samuels will be around. Chanders is also on the way out.

the big bambino

International Captain
We have some young impressive fast bowlers who will start to emerge shortly. Batting wise Bravo needs to emerge and I think Powell has the ability to be a great opener, but yea, the batting has a really long way to go and we don't know how long Samuels will be around. Chanders is also on the way out.
Can you name a few? Would like to check out their profiles.

Last edited:

Slifer

International Captain
Yes we do. And I'm particularly impressed with Gabriel and Roach thus far, though, obviously it's way too early to assess their potential. I am concerned about the third seamer though. Sammy is ok but he's no first change bowler AFAIC and he only makes the team (IMHO) because he is the captain. Batting wise,there is heaps load of room for improvement.

On a side note and this is completely unrelated but there is a seamer from Zimbabwe who played us in the last series Jarvis I think. I think he has a lot of potential as well.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes we do. And I'm particularly impressed with Gabriel and Roach thus far, though, obviously it's way too early to assess their potential. I am concerned about the third seamer though. Sammy is ok but he's no first change bowler AFAIC and he only makes the team (IMHO) because he is the captain. Batting wise,there is heaps load of room for improvement.

On a side note and this is completely unrelated but there is a seamer from Zimbabwe who played us in the last series Jarvis I think. I think he has a lot of potential as well.
Sammy has no right in our Test team, period.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah Chanders is really on the way out... 987 runs @ 98.70 last year, poor guy.