• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in India 2012/13

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
It just is not feasible to me that Dinda and Ishant are ahead of Shami, Pankaj or Pandey, imo. I'd love to see one of the three (especially the first two) given a go in a Test match.
Pankaj Singh is leagues ahead of Ishant- better form, bowls faster, better fielder, better tailender, but is possibly injured at present (missed the entire limited-overs leg of the season. Shami and Pandey, at best, are just worth a try. They still need Umesh Yadav fully fit, at all costs.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Rahane opening won't be a bad idea at all. He's a better prospect than Vijay, who's technically a lot less sound, but still gobbling up plenty of runs. We have Vijay-Rahane-Pujara-Tendulkar-Kohli, a strong top five in this series. They need to fix the lower-order collapses, using the existing bottom five.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I've got no issue with that at all. I doubt Cowan's answer to the issue would've been to stand players down, but good on him for noticing declining standards of commitment and trying to address it.

There are many things about Cowan I really like as a cricketer; unfortunately his batting ability isn't really one of them. He's certainly worth a little bit more than his average suggests though.

burr

State Vice-Captain
I've got no issue with that at all. I doubt Cowan's answer to the issue would've been to stand players down, but good on him for noticing declining standards of commitment and trying to address it.

There are many things about Cowan I really like as a cricketer; unfortunately his batting ability isn't really one of them. He's certainly worth a little bit more than his average suggests though.
He seems to have a better attitude than some of them. It would be good if he could turn into that irritating Langer I'll-run-through-multiple-brick-walls type of guy who actually performs.

I do find it ridiculous that someone with a 33 average is being asked about his leadership credentials. But then again a sacked VC with a 36 average may be about to take the reigns so yeah...um...

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd much rather see Cowan as captain than Captain Crybaby Watson. Watson will be a complete disaster as captain, despite his talents as a player (especially with his current form).

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
I suppose when the options are to have a word with someone or rat them out it's obvious which one helps you stay in the team. WAC.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
I
that's like saying there's many things to like about him as a soldier (the way he's well kept and trimmed and keeps his boots shiny to a fault) Unfortunately courage isn't one of them.

Ratting on team mates, especially when your performances aren't much to shout home about, and when you're not really in the "leadership group"...well, it leaves a sour taste in the mouth. Then again, wasn't it Clarke who told on Symonds all those years ago? Guess Cowan has his career path well traced out for him.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In a close-knit team environment, mentioning that some guys aren't pulling their weight or have attitude problems isnt' ratting them out, it's absolutely crucial to maintaining said closeness as a team. Any of the four with a brain in their head would know and acknowledge they were being **** blokes up to this point, Cowan was just doing what's necessary.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
that's like saying there's many things to like about him as a soldier (the way he's well kept and trimmed and keeps his boots shiny to a fault) Unfortunately courage isn't one of them.

Ratting on team mates, especially when your performances aren't much to shout home about, and when you're not really in the "leadership group"...well, it leaves a sour taste in the mouth. Then again, wasn't it Clarke who told on Symonds all those years ago? Guess Cowan has his career path well traced out for him.
The poor performances, from not just Cowan, are exactly why it's extra important to maintain a strong discipline. It's one thing for someone to try their best and fail, it's another entirely for them to slack off and fail.

howardj

International Coach
Only in CA la la land, could 31 year old Ed (with an average to match) be even considered for leadership duties