• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in Australia 2012/2013

aussie tragic

International Captain
This is now Watto's 6th test since moving from opener where he has 265 runs @ 26.50 before this innings. This is obviously not good enough for a # 4 and I wonder how much longer this can go on?

Now I know his bowling is important, but since moving from opener he has only 6 wkts @ 49.16 so moving down the order to help is bowling is not really working?

I'm thinking he might now be better coming in as an agrressive # 6 where he should just go for it. If it comes off it can be game changing, if it doesn't Wade has a test average of 40 and Starc and Pattinson can both bat so that it's a solid 7-9

Of course now that SL are a WK and bowler down, Watto may never have a better chance to hit a hundred at #4.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This is now Watto's 6th test since moving from opener where he has 265 runs @ 26.50 before this innings. This is obviously not good enough for a # 4 and I wonder how much longer this can go on?

Now I know his bowling is important, but since moving from opener he has only 6 wkts @ 49.16 so moving down the order to help is bowling is not really working?

I'm thinking he might now be better coming in as an agrressive # 6 where he should just go for it. If it comes off it can be game changing, if it doesn't Wade has a test average of 40 and Starc and Pattinson can both bat so that it's a solid 7-9

Of course now that SL are a WK and bowler down, Watto may never have a better chance to hit a hundred at #4.
He should bat six or seven and come in and bomb them, instead of this style of play. He doesn't have many gears like a good top order player. He either goes hard or blocks. He's not suited to batting in the top four IMO.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He'd be such a better player if he was given a license. Just doesn't get one batting where he is.

Spark

Global Moderator
He'd be such a better player if he was given a license. Just doesn't get one batting where he is.
He he's never really gotten the knack of properly building an innings, and now that he's forced to every time he looks like he doesn't know what to do. But I just can't see him opening, and his batting against spin is still a worry when it comes to pushing him down the order (though to be fair that's happening anyway)

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
It's amazing how uncomfortable Watson looks when playing the front-foot block against spin, compared to the way he utterly dominates it in the short form. Another argument for batting 6/7, I suppose.

Ruckus

International Captain
It's amazing how uncomfortable Watson looks when playing the front-foot block against spin, compared to the way he utterly dominates it in the short form. Another argument for batting 6/7, I suppose.
ha I was just about to say how he isn't as bad as people make out. Using his feet pretty well atm.