• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Art of Leg-spin (Wrist Spin) in a dfficult place ?

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Arguable. Big spin helps, but the dip and drift are lot difficult to deal with than turn.
They are all very important, but its big spin which can take you to that next level

The biggest reason is it takes the pitch somewhat out of the equation

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Arguable. Big spin helps, but the dip and drift are lot difficult to deal with than turn.
Yeah, I try to gauge revs rather than turn (which I consider to be purely off the pitch) when I think of spin. If you're putting a lot of work on the ball but focussing more on drift, drop or overspin then that doesn't make you less dangerous than the guy just going for turn off the wicket. Furthermore, someone like Todd Astle actually gets quite a decent amount of turn when he bowls but he has to bowl really slowly to get it because he's not actually putting much on it; this causes the turn he gets to be quite slow off the pitch and of course also means you can nullify what he's doing with decisive footwork.

When I managed to trick a few people into thinking I could actually bowl a few years back and was getting some tips, I had it drilled into me that as a finger spinner I should be at trying to get the ball up above the batsman's eyes and back down again as quickly as possible for my stock ball. I still think it's a good way to look at a spinner, even at the elite level - if you're getting it up to the batsman's eyeline then you're not bowling darts, so exactly how quickly you can bowl a proper flighted delivery that drops and turns is a decent test of what level your bowling is at.

People here talk a lot about wanting to see spinners bowl slower to get more total revs on the ball but to really improve as a bowler you need to look at getting more total revs on the ball at that same pace. You can then slow it up as part of your armoury when you need to anyway, and the batsman has less time to react to whatever you're making the ball do both in the air and off the pitch.

Spinners use their revs in different ways. I don't have a big problem with people judging the potential of a spinner primarily by how much spin they put on the ball, but spin and turn aren't quite the same thing.

Last edited:

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
The classic case of overspin bowlers. Totally agree. Kumble was deadly, because he agve it a mighty rip, but ince he gave it top spin, it did not turn much

Blain

U19 Captain
Problem with leggies these days is they don't give it a rip anymore. You still get reasonably accurate blokes like Bishoo, but the trump card of wrist spin over finger spin has always been the amount of revolutions you can put on the ball. A leggie who barely turns it has no hope, I don't care how good their straight one is or how accurate they are

Tahir and Todd Astle are prime examples of this in the modern game

Pointless bowlers
I dont really rate him too much atm, but you obviously didnt watch much of Tastle. he turned it alot more than anyone else did in the test he played. MASSIVE turn, just too slow to trouble the Lankins.

NasserFan207

I dont really rate him too much atm, but you obviously didnt watch much of Tastle. he turned it alot more than anyone else did in the test he played. MASSIVE turn, just too slow to trouble the Lankins.
Mate, that was not massive turn. It was average, at best, particularly on a SC wicket for a leggie

Blain

U19 Captain
Alot more than what everyone else was getting, if that's not enough to be called massive then he would of had to pitch everything outside of leg stump and taken a metre outside off.

SeamUp

International Coach
So currently by country we have -

Australia - Cameron Boyce, Adam Zampa
India - Piyush Chawla, Amit Mishra, Rahul Sharma
South Africa - Imran Tahir, Shaun Von Berg, Eddie Leie
England - Scott Borthwick, Adil Rashid
Pakistan - Usman Qadir
West Indies - Devandra Bishoo
New Zealand - Todd Astle
Sri Lanka - ??
Zimbabwe - Graeme Cremer
Bangladesh - ??

* Muirhead yet to play for Vics. Vaaltyn yet to play for Warriors & Kaber yet to play for Titans.

I know a South African chinaman bowler, Michael Rippon, at the Cobras signed an 18-month deal with Sussex ? Anyone know how he went and if he is held in high regard there ?

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
srsly, Qadir, apparently the g00ds.

Will be under Australia s00n, not Pakistan ftr.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
Jeevan Mendis is a leggie who plays for Lanka.

WIndies have Badree as well.

Kaneria out of consideration?

Oh, and Afridi.

Last edited:

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Good for the kid and his career, but it sucks how you can just rock up and start playing for another country you have no relation to within a couple of years.

SeamUp

International Coach
Cheers Bench !

Suppose Pakistani cricket is suffering not playing in front of their home crowds and if he wants more opportunity of becoming the best cricketer he can be then he will make the move as we know the turmoil and selection issues Pakistani cricket faces. From that article it seems a formality.

Saw him when the Pak u19s toured South Africa. Quality spinner.

Last edited:

Xuhaib

International Coach
btw remember the last time we exported a leg spinner turned out to be ****s is an understatement.

Noble One

What happened to Piyush Chawla? His record in recent years is appalling.

Seems an eternity since he was discussed as a Test cricketer - still only 23.