• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** DRS discussion thread

UDRS?

• Total voters

Jacknife

International Captain
Harsha Bhogle: The DRS is not bigger than the game | Opinion | Cricinfo Magazine | ESPN Cricinfo

I think the BCCI are being very pig-headed when it comes to understanding how the technology works, working along with the players, and accepting it within its limitations - and they deserve criticism for that. Overall though, I feel the sentiment of the first couple of paragraphs is pretty much spot on.
He says that we've agreed on snicko, I thought that it still couldn't be part of UDRS because of how long it takes to load and that's why were getting, higher spec stump microphones.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah, why isn't vcs going off on a rant about how ignorant the writer is to say that, especially given India's history of producing mediocre fast bowlers!!!!!

biased indian

International Coach
Yeah, why isn't vcs going off on a rant about how ignorant the writer is to say that, especially given India's history of producing mediocre fast bowlers!!!!!
hope you will be around the time the third test starts...i fear you might accumulate too many inf points for the Mod's liking ..the ind eng sub forum will be useless with out you :)

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Harsha Bhogle: The DRS is not bigger than the game | Opinion | Cricinfo Magazine | ESPN Cricinfo

I think the BCCI are being very pig-headed when it comes to understanding how the technology works, working along with the players, and accepting it within its limitations - and they deserve criticism for that. Overall though, I feel the sentiment of the first couple of paragraphs is pretty much spot on.
Didn't anyone tell you that Ball tracking is the sollution to solve the middle east crisis and Global Warming??:ph34r:
And if you don't agree with that sentiment well you are claiming racism and supporting the BCCI.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Didn't anyone tell you that Ball tracking is the sollution to solve the middle east crisis and Global Warming??:ph34r:
And if you don't agree with that sentiment well you are claiming racism and supporting the BCCI.
Actually, ball tracking is the solution to incorrect lbw decisions. Don't think it'll solve those other problems. Maybe in future editions.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If India had had a history of being technologically backward and if the writer was calling the technology ****, your analogy might have made sense. Try again.

Moreover, I agree with the author, beats me why I need to go on a rant about it at all. :)

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
It wasn't an analogy I was just making a **** and irrelevant point like you did.

Furthermore, the 80s and 90s does not equate to all of history. It's not like Swann is our first ever good spinner.

Last edited:

vcs

My point was not irrelevant BTW. I don't think I made it clear there, but from his comments it seems pretty obvious Lloyd does not watch much cricket that doesn't involve England (Uppercut agreed with me on this). Ergo, he hasn't had too many opportunities to observe quality spin bowling (before Swann), unless of course, he was keeping a keen eye on the opposition, which from his comments, I highly doubt. Hence I'd rather not take his word that Randiv looks an ordinary bowler, on the basis of the 20 or so matches he's played, out of which this is probably the first time Lloyd's actually watched him. Hope I made that clear enough.

Like I said, if Holding or Bishop had told me Mithun looks ordinary, I'd be a lot likelier to take them seriously. They're too smart to say that directly though, and would probably find a way to say it much more diplomatically, especially if a bowler was in the infancy of his career.

vcs

He says that we've agreed on snicko, I thought that it still couldn't be part of UDRS because of how long it takes to load and that's why were getting, higher spec stump microphones.
Yeah, I don't understand how the high-fidelity microphones will help too much for those ultra-fine nicks. I don't necessarily agree with him and the BCCI about ball-tracking, but it does seem like there are some issues to be resolved about accuracy, manual intervention and the people operating the technology (from what Virtual Eye is saying). They should get together and work out an acceptable solution including it. Having the part-implementation is an improvement though, and I'm sure they'll eventually come around to the whole deal.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
My point was not irrelevant BTW. I don't think I made it clear there, but from his comments it seems pretty obvious Lloyd does not watch much cricket that doesn't involve England (Uppercut agreed with me on this). Ergo, he hasn't had too many opportunities to observe quality spin bowling (before Swann), unless of course, he was keeping a keen eye on the opposition, which from his comments, I highly doubt. Hence I'd rather not take his word that Randiv looks an ordinary bowler, on the basis of the 20 or so matches he's played, out of which this is probably the first time Lloyd's actually watched him. Hope I made that clear enough.

Like I said, if Holding or Bishop had told me Mithun looks ordinary, I'd be a lot likelier to take them seriously. They're too smart to say that directly though, and would probably find a way to say it much more diplomatically, especially if a bowler was in the infancy of his career.
Lol, you think David Lloyd doesn't know what a good spin bowler looks like? You think he'd never seen one before Swann? ****ing hell. New levels of smugness and arrogance from you. Don't know where to begin. Your comment was better when it was just unjustified trolling tbh!

EDIT - add to that the fact that you failed to grasp what he meant by ordinary anyway, ie not a mystery spinner

Last edited:

vcs

I don't think it's the commentator's place to call a player ordinary off 10 matches or whatever, and everyone seems to be ignoring that point. Fair enough, I might have misinterpreted what he meant, but that's what it came across to me as. Clearly, I'm not the only one.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Lol, you think David Lloyd doesn't know what a good spin bowler looks like? You think he'd never seen one before Swann? ****ing hell. New levels of smugness and arrogance from you. Don't know where to begin. Your comment was better when it was just unjustified trolling tbh!

EDIT - add to that the fact that you failed to grasp what he meant by ordinary anyway, ie not a mystery spinner
How is that smugness and arrogance?:wacko:
If that is Smugness and arrogance then what is when people go and call Swann in a different league altogether to Harbhajan(so much so they can't be mentioned together) and when they go and call India bowlers Bangladesh standard.

Edit- before you go on a rant i am not talking about you here only.:)

Last edited:

vcs

It's semantics, tbh. Not very interesting.
Yeah, not much point taking it further. If he meant "ordinary" in terms of "not a mystery spinner" that's fair enough, but it definitely came across to me like he was calling him average.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
How is that smugness and arrogance?:wacko:
If that is Smugness and arrogance then what is when people go and call Swann in a different league altogether to Harbhajan(so much so they can't be mentioned together) and when they go and call India bowlers Bangladesh standard.

Edit- before you go on a rant i am not talking about you here only.:)
None of the Swann Harby comments have anything to do with this. Are you just going to bring up old debates in every thread now?

Anyway, I shouldn't have had that dig at vcs and brought this stuff into a second thread. Stand by what I said, but not going to bore anyone with it any further.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Was just giving a example of smugness and arrogance ftr.

And you were the one who brought another debate into it in the first place with a false analogy which had nothing to do with what VCS posted here. So accusing me of bringing another debate into it is a bit rich.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
****ing hell Cevno, you are hard work.

I just apologised for bringing that debate in here. Nonetheless, dragging an ongoing argument into multiple threads is not exactly the same as digging up arguments that have been and gone, some ****ing years ago and others months.

If I call vcs arrogant, you don't have any valid reason to respond implying that GingerFurball has made posts you find arrogant. It's like if we're talking about Michael Beer, and everyone says he's ****, someone popping up and saying "well I think marcus north is ****!" So what? No-one gives a ****.

And as I already said, I wasn't making an analogy.

The Test series is gonna be a nightmare because there are a core of you posting utter bollocks at the minute.

Last edited: