• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The importance of IPL....

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
You're only looking at the downside. You don't know how many potentially brilliant players cricket loses to rival sports. Lord knows I'm sure we've missed out on some West Indian and New Zealand guns because of the reduced opportunities as well as lower pay.

You have to be damn confident of your ability, or extremely passionate about cricket, to pursue a career where there are less opportunities, and even if you are successful at making it to the top echelon, you are paid less than you are in other sports, even if you are simply above average at best.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
You're only looking at the downside. You don't know how many potentially brilliant players cricket loses to rival sports. Lord knows I'm sure we've missed out on some West Indian and New Zealand guns because of the reduced opportunities as well as lower pay.

You have to be damn confident of your ability, or extremely passionate about cricket, to pursue a career where there are less opportunities, and even if you are successful at making it to the top echelon, you are paid less than you are in other sports, even if you are simply above average at best.
I agree. But how does the IPL actually help though with national representation? For example, Pollard has been produced by the West Indies cricket system. It has cost them money to produce such a cricketer. Except, rather than representing the nation that paid for his upbringing, he plays in leagues such as the IPL or Big Bash that don't give any direct benefit to West Indies cricket or West Indies viewers.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
If that becomes the norm, then there's a problem.

So far Gayle, who has had clear issues with the WICB (same with Bravo I guess) and Pollard are the only guys not playing international cricket, but instead the IPL. And Gayle was dropped from ODIs for some reason, Bravo decided not to play tests.

Pollard is the only real guy who has done that.

Malinga doesn't count imo. His body is obviously injured and not suitable for test cricket. Same with Styris when he quit test cricket. They're still playing ODIs.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm very happy that the IPL allows a guy like Brad Hodge to realize some of the earning potential he missed out on in his prime.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
If that becomes the norm, then there's a problem.

So far Gayle, who has had clear issues with the WICB (same with Bravo I guess) and Pollard are the only guys not playing international cricket, but instead the IPL. And Gayle was dropped from ODIs for some reason, Bravo decided not to play tests.

Pollard is the only real guy who has done that.

Malinga doesn't count imo. His body is obviously injured and not suitable for test cricket. Same with Styris when he quit test cricket. They're still playing ODIs.
But these 20/20 tournaments still detract from the quality of the national team through the simple nature of having parts of the calendar put aside for Franchise cricket when the players could otherwise be playing in a method beneficial for their own country

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I'm very happy that the IPL allows a guy like Brad Hodge to realize some of the earning potential he missed out on in his prime.
Except Brad Hodge is 36 and out of the national set up so it's not an issue.

I think the IPL is great for Indians, fringe players and dads army, but otherwise its a destructive distraction

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
But these 20/20 tournaments still detract from the quality of the national team through the simple nature of having parts of the calendar put aside for Franchise cricket when the players could otherwise be playing in a method beneficial for their own country
There is no argument against this point. But the fact of the matter is we live in the real world where players want to earn a living for their talent.

I found this quote telling by Mahela re: Malinga's decision.

ayawardene, who was in charge of the Sri Lankan side before Sangakkara took over said it was unfair to criticise Malinga's decision. "Given the state of his knee condition, there is no point in him taking the risk of playing Test cricket," Jayawardene wrote in the same newspaper. "If he breaks down then it will be bad for Sri Lanka. We want him playing for us as long as possible. Some people have criticised the decision, arguing that he is being selfish. This short-sighted argument is very unfair given that he clearly has a chronic knee problem.

"Lasith is a human being and, while he is totally committed to Sri Lanka, he also has responsibilities as a husband and, one day hopefully, a father. If his career is ended by injury, who is going to look after him and his family? When he suffered the injury the first time he was stripped of his central contract within about six months and left with no income.

vcs

Well, I agree with Jono that if it becomes a widespread trend among players, it could cause a problem. I don't see that happening though.

Borges

International Regular
So far Gayle, who has had clear issues with the WICB (same with Bravo I guess) and Pollard are the only guys not playing international cricket, but instead the IPL.
Whether these three play in the IPL or not was solely at the discretion of the WICB; there was no way they could have played without an NOC.

To me it appears that the it is also the case that the WICB does not want them to play for WI. Feel sorry for Sarwan and Chanderpaul though; left high and dry, not playing for the WI and not playing in the IPL.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
There is no argument against this point. But the fact of the matter is we live in the real world where players want to earn a living for their talent.

I found this quote telling by Mahela re: Malinga's decision.

ayawardene, who was in charge of the Sri Lankan side before Sangakkara took over said it was unfair to criticise Malinga's decision. "Given the state of his knee condition, there is no point in him taking the risk of playing Test cricket," Jayawardene wrote in the same newspaper. "If he breaks down then it will be bad for Sri Lanka. We want him playing for us as long as possible. Some people have criticised the decision, arguing that he is being selfish. This short-sighted argument is very unfair given that he clearly has a chronic knee problem.

"Lasith is a human being and, while he is totally committed to Sri Lanka, he also has responsibilities as a husband and, one day hopefully, a father. If his career is ended by injury, who is going to look after him and his family? When he suffered the injury the first time he was stripped of his central contract within about six months and left with no income.
I didn't criticise Malinga for his retirement from his test cricket. Though I do wonder how he can manage to play so many limited overs matches with a knee that is apparently tied on with some sticky tape

I, do however, fear that there will be a time when players increasingly retire early from test cricket at the slightest sign of a niggle in order to ensure they can play a good number of seasons in the IPL. Especially fast bowlers.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Whether these three play in the IPL or not was solely at the discretion of the WICB; there was no way they could have played without an NOC.

To me it appears that the it is also the case that the WICB does not want them to play for WI. Feel sorry for Sarwan and Chanderpaul though; left high and dry, not playing for the WI and not playing in the IPL.
Yes I'm sure the BCCI would never apply any pressure on the WICB or any other board for that matter.

The WICB is a mess though

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
The WICB are far more to blame for this **** than the IPL. They had player contract issues well before the IPL concept was ever thought up.

The boards should get their act together or just **** off. Players shouldn't lose money and opportunities due to their incompetence.

vcs

And why not?
Powerful boards like CA who are fully in support of the IPL will not like it if their players are unable to do international duty effectively due to playing for their franchises.

More importantly, for there to be an exodus of players to IPL over international cricket, it will have to take over the consciousness of the global cricket audience in a way that T20 just cannot hope to. Ultimately, it remains a glorified hit and giggle.

Borges

International Regular
Yes I'm sure the BCCI would never apply any pressure on the WICB or any other board for that matter.
It is quite plausible that the BCCI might have applied pressure on the WICB.

But BCCI are no mugs; that pressure would have been for leaving the international calendar free for most of the duration of the IPL. Maximize the return on investment and so on.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
So really, there's just one player who has chosen IPL over internationals, and he's a guy that hasn't done much at international level anyway.

It's something to keep a look out for, sure... but its the usual floodgates argument. Almost every argument that says "once this starts the floodgates will open" turns out to be wrong.

Last edited:

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Powerful boards like CA who are fully in support of the IPL will not like it if their players are unable to do international duty effectively due to playing for their franchises.

More importantly, for there to be an exodus of players to IPL over international cricket, it will have to take over the consciousness of the global cricket audience in a way that T20 just cannot hope to. Ultimately, it remains a glorified hit and giggle.
Cricket Australia is not a powerful board IMO

The players can't do their international duty as effectively because their time spent in the IPL could be otherwise spent much better than playing 2020 franchise cricket. Not to mention the injuries that can be carried over from 2020 - Doug Bollinger for example.

What global cricket audience? The Indian market more than makes up for it and even if it remains a glorified hit and giggle for test enthusiasts currency is still currency so the players who want to look after themselves will follow the money.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
It is quite plausible that the BCCI might have applied pressure on the WICB.

But BCCI are no mugs; that pressure would have been for leaving the international calendar free for most of the duration of the IPL. Maximize the return on investment and so on.
So for example, what do I get from the IPL as an Australian cricket fan

- Less tours
- More domestic franchise 20/20 which I think has a very negative effect on the quality of cricket
- This in turn effects national representation
- In turn negatively influencing the investment of my country in a certain player through his developement