• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Match 22 - India v Ireland

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dhoni_fan

U19 Debutant
very clinical performance from us there, got us the 2 points and we are now top of the group credit to the Irish thought the bowled and fielded really well, but ultimately were a bit out of their depth today!

Dhoni_fan

U19 Debutant
That really was the furthest thing from clinical.
Bowl a side out for 207, then chase it down and win by 5 wickets, letting all the guys in the top order get a hit out without ever looking like losing the match, and have 4 overs left.

Seems pretty clinical to me!

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Righto mate if you want to be a smartarse about it go ahead. Do what you like.
Wtf mate

I gave my honest opinion; that GF's posts weren't that bad

You promptly said I'd 'lost it'. I thought that was a bit much tbh mate.

Last edited:

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Bowl a side out for 207, then chase it down and win by 5 wickets, letting all the guys in the top order get a hit out without ever looking like losing the match, and have 4 overs left.

Seems pretty clinical to me!
But we really struggled at various times. Anyway we won, off to the next game.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
It wasn't clinical at all Dhoni_fan.

Chawla looked like ****.

And we weren't convincing with the bat.

It was a reasonable performance at best. Scratchy at worst.

Clinical is Sri Lanka vs. Canada or South Africa vs. Netherlands or something.

Dhoni_fan

U19 Debutant
But we really struggled at various times. Anyway we won, off to the next game.
Honestly speaking I never really felt like we were actually struggling sure the scoring rate wasnt great, Gambhir and Viru came out guns blazing and rightly so, but once they got out, and given the fact the deck has slowed up since the last 2 games we played it pretty sensible the wickets we lost were more through being a little careless than anything else.

Of course we were not at our best but we never needed to be and we did what needed to be done to get 2 points, something a team like say England couldnt do against the same opposition, its about doing what you need to do against that opponent to get the 2 points and I thought we did that in a very professional fashion today.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It was pretty scratchy. Job done, can't complain but Ireland had a bit of an off-day too.

Last edited:

Dhoni_fan

U19 Debutant
It wasn't clinical at all Dhoni_fan.

Chawla looked like ****.

And we weren't convincing with the bat.

It was a reasonable performance at best. Scratchy at worst.

Clinical is Sri Lanka vs. Canada or South Africa vs. Netherlands or something.
I agree with you about Chawla, I personally would not have played him today in any case I want to see Ashwin in.

To be fair Ireland have shown they are stronger opponents than Canada or the Netherlands, bowling them out for 207 was not a bad effort on a flat wicket, (although it has dried and slowed a bit)

Dhoni_fan

U19 Debutant
It was pretty scratchy. Job done, can't complain but Ireland had a bit of an off-day too.
We played as well as we needed to play against the opponent we were playing, we werent playing Australia say or Sri Lanka, but we did what was needed to get 2 points against an opponent who never really had the class or tools to beat us.

You cant win the World Cup in the group stages, but you sure can go some way to losing it, as I say 2 points = crucial.

Also we are the only unbeaten team in our group.

vcs

It was a real struggle, easy to look at Pathan's sixes in hindsight and say that it was always under control, but it wasn't. Also, Yuvraj took 5 wickets without really bowling anything outstanding. He bowled tight, and kept things straight and simple, but relying on a part-timer to pull things back after Zaheer gave us a great start is not a good sign at all.

Couldn't believe Dhoni brought Pathan on when Ireland were 9-2 or something in the 4th over. 8-) Probably the least wicket-taking threat we have.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
We played as well as we needed to play against the opponent we were playing, we werent playing Australia say or Sri Lanka, but we did what was needed to get 2 points against an opponent who never really had the class or tools to beat us.

You cant win the World Cup in the group stages, but you sure can go some way to losing it, as I say 2 points = crucial.

I didn't say we are ****.

I just guarantee you Kirsten and Dhoni won't be telling the boys out the back that it was a clinical performance. They'll straight away look for areas to improve on.

Chawla will be given the flick.

Our field settings need to be rethought (though that'll never happen under Dhoni)

And our batting will hopefully click much better vs. Netherlands.

Dhoni_fan

U19 Debutant
I didn't say we are ****.

I just guarantee you Kirsten and Dhoni won't be telling the boys out the back that it was a clinical performance. They'll straight away look for areas to improve on.

Chawla will be given the flick.

Our field settings need to be rethought (though that'll never happen under Dhoni)

And our batting will hopefully click much better vs. Netherlands.
Am not too worried about the batting to be honest, we have fired last two matches if anything it was good the lower order got a hit out, we may need them in much higher pressure games.

Agree there is stuff to work on and we need to improve.

I just dont think this was the match to judge where we were at, I feel like we played at the level that we needed to to beat Ireland, we didnt need to be at our best today and were not it was more like a practise game!

Uppercut

That's the thing though, Ireland can play much better than they did today. It's a level of performance they won't necessarily always get away with in games like these.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah I'm not worried about our batting either but I think we were pretty scratchy.

Nevertheless, time will tell whether we improve.

It was good to have Yuvraj and Dhoni have to bat under a bit of pressure though.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
It was a real struggle, easy to look at Pathan's sixes in hindsight and say that it was always under control, but it wasn't. Also, Yuvraj took 5 wickets without really bowling anything outstanding. He bowled tight, and kept things straight and simple, but relying on a part-timer to pull things back after Zaheer gave us a great start is not a good sign at all.

Couldn't believe Dhoni brought Pathan on when Ireland were 9-2 or something in the 4th over. 8-) Probably the least wicket-taking threat we have.
Yeah, we have to use Yuvraj more than Pathan. I agree that Yuvraj did not bowl too many wicket taking balls, but did a good job bowling tight and disciplined.

Ashwin should definitely be in to replace Chawla. He has shown no discipline or plan. Keeps switching over the wicket and round the wicket lines without much thought.

Dhoni_fan

U19 Debutant
That's the thing though, Ireland can play much better than they did today. It's a level of performance they won't necessarily always get away with in games like these.
The reason Ireland didnt play better was because they were not allowed, to they were out of their depth to be perfectly frank but they fought hard and did their best you have to credit them hugely for trying out there.

As I said before, today we didnt need to be anywhere near our best, and I honestly felt we played at the level we needed to to win this match comfortably.

We never looked like losing, and we were able to see all of our top order get a hit out which is crucial, for latter int he tournament for when we meet the big guns, in the big games, where we will actually need to be at our best.

Dhoni_fan

U19 Debutant
Yeah I'm not worried about our batting either but I think we were pretty scratchy.

Nevertheless, time will tell whether we improve.

It was good to have Yuvraj and Dhoni have to bat under a bit of pressure though.
Frankly I would have liked us to bat first, and if we win the toss on Wednesday I think we should I dont want us to get into a mindset that we need to win the toss and chase.

Let us bat first get a big total (drop Chawla) and show that we can defend comfortably.