• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
2007 was Federer's best year IMO. Beat a ridiculously in form Gonzalez in the Aust Open final, took Nadal to 4 sets at the French, beat Nadal in 5 sets at Wimbledon when he played amazing, and then beat Novak in 3 tight sets at the US Open final.

Amazing year. Crazy how good someone can be.

EDIT: oh and somewhere in between this he lost two matches in a row to Guillermo Cañas. :laugh: WAG

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
2007 was Federer's best year IMO. Beat a ridiculously in form Gonzalez in the Aust Open final, took Nadal to 4 sets at the French, beat Nadal in 5 sets at Wimbledon when he played amazing, and then beat Novak in 3 tight sets at the US Open final.

Amazing year. Crazy how good someone can be.

EDIT: oh and somewhere in between this he lost two matches in a row to Guillermo Cañas. :laugh: WAG
2006, he had a 92-5 record. :cool: Lost 4 matches to Rafa (3 on clay) and one to Murray in the whole year. Pretty amazing. If you watch his matches in the YEC/WTF/TMC/whatever the **** it was called that year, I think he played his best tennis ever IMO.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Let me rephrase. I always say Federer in 2006 was at his peak. But in 2007 IMHO he had better competition and hence his achievements are better.

The way he dispatched Ferrer in the 2007 ATP World Tour Finals (Masters Cup at the time) final was amazing. Ferrer was playing seriously good tennis, and he just went "nope".

Federer lost to Gonzalez in the first round of the World Tour Finals then I believe. I then chucked a bucketload on him to win the title.

I'm not sure if he had mono in November/December when he played those finals. He probably did actually.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Novak beat Federer fair and square in 2007 in Montreal in the final. Still remember watching that and being in shock.

He beat Roddick (#3), Nadal (#2) and Federer (#1) in a row. It was when he properly announced himself IMO. It was obvious he was a gun before that, but that tournament was unreal.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You know what Jono? Your post above was very good, and I'm inclined to say I was wrong and maybe Federer isn't quite the player he was in 2007. Although I would point out that back in 2005ish Federer came awful close to losing matches.

That said I'm really annoyed by a lot of the reports in newspapers saying Novak beat a past his prime Federer. Novak was AWESOME! Maybe he could have beaten Federer ala 2007.

There's only been one other sportsman in history who's been criticized as hardly when he was ranked World No 2, and that's Tiger Woods. I remember when he was World Number 2 and Vijay Singh was World Number 1. It was ridiculous because Tiger was playing great golf back then (he's not now of course).

Likewise with Federer. HE'S STILL AWESOME. The way Federer fans react when he loses is daft. He's dropped out of form? Dropped one notch is more like it. People said he was passed it in 2008, but the second Nadal went away Federer was suddenly back to his best and the greatest of all time. If he's not at his best, he's not far off, because he's only one rung down the ladder.

By the way, I disagree with people saying Federer of 2005 would beat the Nadal of today. Nadal is just better than Federer one on one. Federer was terrific in the 2008 Wimbledon Final (the best sports event of the last decade!), and Nadal beat him on HIS surface.

Don't forget Nadal is now at his best, and can beat Federer on any surface, including grass.

It doesn't mean Federer can't be the greatest. I think Shane Warne is a greater cricketer than Tendulkar, but Sachin certainly got the better of that rivalry, and how!
Yes, Nadal certainly has the better of Federer on an individual basis. His game hurts Federer, neutralises his inside-out forehand to an extent and exposes his weaknesses. That's how certain matchups go.

That said, it's undeniable that Federer has faced Nadal much more on surfaces favouring the latter, especially between 2005-07. They haven't met often enough on fast HCs in the latter half of the season. I agree though that if Nadal is playing as well as he was at the USO last year, he'd be favoured to beat Federer even on that surface now.

And yes, Djokovic was brilliant. It's meaningless to wonder whether he'd have beaten the Federer of 2007, because he wasn't playing the Federer of 2007. He did what he needed to do, and was clearly the best player in the tournament.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Groth beats Schiavone in the first rubber of the Aust vs. Italy Fed Cup. Great effort.

Stosur going in underdog vs. Panetta with the bookies in the second rubber. Mainly because Panetta is 3-0 against Stosur.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
I see Tommy Haas pulled out of San Jose which was meant to be his return tournament. Bit of a shame, because it already has had Verdasco, Monfils, Querrey, Hewitt, Nishikori, Del Potro, Raonic and Berankis.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
****'s sake Stosur. Was 5-3 up in the first set and bottles it when serving for it.

So annoying.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
She ****ing did it again in the 2nd set. Serving at 5-4 for the second set and serves two double faults and is broken to love.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yes. After almost choking away the tiebreak she started nailing some forehands and took the second set.

Come on now. If you get a lead, keep it.