• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The best batsman in the world is gambhir ?

ret

International Debutant
A not very good one.

He can go one of two ways - succeed in those conditions and force people to recognise him as one of the best of his era, or fail, and still be regarded as a good batsman who inflated his average somewhat by scoring piles of runs on the subcontinent.
That would probably be like what Vensarkar, Zahir Abbas, MoYo, etc did

Sir Alex

Banned
So ponting fails against spin all the times ?

Imagine if Gambhir was playing during tthe 70s/80s/90s Which team would he score runs against ?

I love to see him in action but I can't help but wonder how the hell he is able to survive. Thread is probably saying less about gambhir than it's saying the present bowlers or pitches.
Has he failed so far? Is there evidence to him having issue against short ball apart from a few T20s? I can give you examples of ODIs where he dealt with bouncy tracks.

Sir Alex

Banned
He can go one of two ways - succeed in those conditions and force people to recognise him as one of the best of his era, or fail, and still be regarded as a good batsman who inflated his average somewhat by scoring piles of runs on the subcontinent.

Hopefully it'll be the first.
What is this theory about "inflated averages"? If he played in the subcontinent, and averaged that much, he deserves them. He does not get to choose the pitch he plays on.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
So Gambhir fails against short ball every time? Imagine if Pontin was playing in the era of dust bowls of India and Pakistan with 3 - 4 spinners bowling against them, who were as good as Harbhajan.

The fact is every batsmen is getting it easy due to flat pitches, be it short bowling or spin bowling.
Ponting has succeeded against far better spinners than Harbhajan. Don't really see how this is relevant though.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
What is this theory about "inflated averages"? If he played in the subcontinent, and averaged that much, he deserves them. He does not get to choose the pitch he plays on.
It's the same theory that is applied to batsmen like Hayden. Players that thrived on certain types of conditions but, arguably, struggled on others. While Gambhir certainly hasn't had the chance yet, it still remains a question mark over whether he will

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Well he's obviously not the best batsman in the world, but he's a very very good batsman.

Brilliant knock today, injured on a 5th day wicket batting out a draw against Steyn and Morkel.

For all his critics, and flat track bully claims, he now averages 63.5 away from home. Sure that is boosted by Zimbabwe and Bangladesh, but he also averages 89 in New Zealand and 60.5 in South Africa.

Ironically he only averages 39 in Sri Lanka.

After some poor form earlier in this year, I think he went a long way to putting Murali Vijay back into his place as clearly a substitute test batsman only.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
After some poor form earlier in this year, I think he went a long way to putting Murali Vijay back into his place as clearly a substitute test batsman only.
Dravid did not, however, despite playing a valuable innings just now.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Well he's obviously not the best batsman in the world, but he's a very very good batsman.

Brilliant knock today, injured on a 5th day wicket batting out a draw against Steyn and Morkel.

For all his critics, and flat track bully claims, he now averages 63.5 away from home. Sure that is boosted by Zimbabwe and Bangladesh, but he also averages 89 in New Zealand and 60.5 in South Africa.

Ironically he only averages 39 in Sri Lanka.

He may not be the best looking but he is a gutsy guy and I won't put it past him to overcome some of his weaknesses even now and go on to become an even better batsman...

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I was going to mention that at the end of my post that Vijay may still bat #3 and replace Dravid, but this thread is all about Gambhir so it wasn't really relevant.

Worth talking about in my Dravid thread though obviously.

Teja.

Global Moderator
I propose that from this point on, All runs scored in South African Test kallisball be called gautis.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I propose that from this point on, All runs scored in South African Test kallisball be called gautis.
Kallis cannot claim to be rated as the best ever Sachman in Kallisball history simply based on his average gautis being higher than others during Kallisball games in South Africa.. The fact that the Steyning he faced were not of any great quality should be given as a disclaimer. :p

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Kallis cannot claim to be rated as the best ever Sachman in Kallisball history simply based on his average gautis being higher than others during Kallisball games in South Africa.. The fact that the Steyning he faced were not of any great quality should be given as a disclaimer. :p
Haha good effort. Does it make me a bit sad that I was able to follow exactly what you meant? :p

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
True,but Don't think Vijay will be replacing him.

Badrinath,Rahane and Kohli are the ones that should be eyeing that spot.

Pujara was unlucky at the situation everytime he came to the wicket.

But still looked better than Vijay/Raina who were ultra shaky for me.
I agree; I'm not a big Vijay fan, but the fact that he's had Test experience and been successful will count for a lot, IMO. I wouldn't pick him to replace Dravid but I think the selectors could well do. I'd love to see Pujara bat three and Kohli bat six, but I don't see Pujara getting promoted until he starts scoring some runs.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Have to say did not expect him to do well in South Africa.

And though he missed the toughest test ,he was very very impressive in this test.

Well done to him.

Playing with a hand injury too.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

Haha now that you've deleted and re-posted that, I actually replied to it before you made the post :laugh:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Haha now that you've deleted and re-posted that, I actually replied to it before you made the post :laugh:
Was gonna delete it and post it in the Dravid thread but since you replied to it,i thought i should repost it again.:laugh:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
I agree; I'm not a big Vijay fan, but the fact that he's had Test experience and been successful will count for a lot, IMO. I wouldn't pick him to replace Dravid but I think the selectors could well do. I'd love to see Pujara bat three and Kohli bat six, but I don't see Pujara getting promoted until he starts scoring some runs.
I agree on Vijay.

But personally i think the selectors should after dravid retires ,give Badrinath atleast one oppurtunity at 3 and persist with Pujara at 6.

He has topped the run scoring charts again by a margin in the ranji trophy ,played crucial knocks and also played a marvellous unbeaten 175 to try and save the match for Tamil Nadu single handedly.

And he is at the moment most ready too for the number 3 slot.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I agree on Vijay.

But personally i think the selectors should after dravid retires ,give Badrinath atleast one oppurtunity at 3 and persist with Pujara at 6.

He has topped the run scoring charts again by a margin in the ranji trophy ,played crucial knocks and also played a marvellous unbeaten 175 to try and save the match for Tamil Nadu single handedly.

And he is at the moment most ready too for the number 3 slot.
I actually agree, but I get the feeling he's been blacklisted; I don't see him as a realistic option even though he's probably the best one. Dave Hussey syndrome.