• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in India 2010

Athlai

Not Terrible
Well they scheduled two warm ups that were washed out for an ODI series against Bangers and no warm ups for a Test series against the world number 1 Test team. Interesting to say the least.

Flem274*

123/5
Oh how I wish we'd postponed that ODI tour and had some warm ups in India instead.

Though if the Black Caps aren't angry and wanting to ****ing smash some big boy ****s after such a humiliation, nothing can motivate them.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Brent Arnel might become a victim of the hunt for young bowling talent imo. Southee, McKay, Bennett and possibly others might always be ahead of him because the selectors may think he's just another 30 year old domestic medium fast bowler. Martin is the one who is seen as the old hand to guide the youngsters through.
Personally, would pick Arnel to be our best bowler of this test season, providing he is selected.

Flem274*

123/5
Personally, would pick Arnel to be our best bowler of this test season, providing he is selected.
That's the thing though.

But yeah, I like the look of him. Pitches have gotten flatter and flatter domestically and his record has just gotten better and better during that time (as opposed to some bowlers e.g. Bradley Scott, who have declined).

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
That's the thing though.

But yeah, I like the look of him. Pitches have gotten flatter and flatter domestically and his record has just gotten better and better during that time (as opposed to some bowlers e.g. Bradley Scott, who have declined).
If thats the case, he should do better than southee in india.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Southee gets seam movement away from the right hander doesn't he. he isn't a one trick pony (swing only). I was trying to remember if he could bring one back into the right hander off the seam and I don't think this is a strength of his. Arnel and Martin can nibble it off the seam both ways.

It has been a while since I have seen Southee bowl, but his off cutter is a possible area of improvement for him. He has plenty of time to perfect it.

Regardless of whether he is perfectly suited to these conditions Southee is our future and we need to be developing him. It is ok to lose this series if we continue to develop our inexperienced players
Watling Mcintosh Ryder Southee Arnel - I list Ryder here as although he is a gun he needs more games under his belt.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Southee gets seam movement away from the right hander doesn't he. he isn't a one trick pony (swing only). I was trying to remember if he could bring one back into the right hander off the seam and I don't think this is a strength of his. Arnel and Martin can nibble it off the seam both ways.

It has been a while since I have seen Southee bowl, but his off cutter is a possible area of improvement for him. He has plenty of time to perfect it.

Regardless of whether he is perfectly suited to these conditions Southee is our future and we need to be developing him. It is ok to lose this series if we continue to develop our inexperienced players
Watling Mcintosh Ryder Southee Arnel - I list Ryder here as although he is a gun he needs more games under his belt.
Southee has a gun leg cutter. I remember in that 4/fa against Australia in the first test a couple of years ago, he got rid of either Katich or Hayden by cutting it across them and getting the outside edge.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Southee has a gun leg cutter. I remember in that 4/fa against Australia in the first test a couple of years ago, he got rid of either Katich or Hayden by cutting it across them and getting the outside edge.
Are we talking about the two test match series in Australia. When I was watching him bowl to the lefties it looked like he was bowling cross seam to avoid getting any swing when he was beating the outside the edge. I don't recall the exact delivery you saw - but I am hoping it wasn't a cross seam delivery and was a genuine cutter on purpose. Do you recall details of the delivery and the seam position. Would be a good sign if he has been seaming it away from lefties at will.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I was there that day.. Cricinfo says:
SM Katich c †McCullum b Southee 10 27 17 1 0 58.82
5.6 Southee has struck again and Australia have lost their openers, he lands it on a good length outside the off stump and the seam really rotates, Katich pokes at it away from the body and the thick edge is taken by McCullum 22/2

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Anyone care enough to discuss the other team that's supposed to be participating in this series? :ph34r:

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Brent Arnel might become a victim of the hunt for young bowling talent imo. Southee, McKay, Bennett and possibly others might always be ahead of him because the selectors may think he's just another 30 year old domestic medium fast bowler.
McKay is also 30, or damn near it, FTR.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Anyone care enough to discuss the other team that's supposed to be participating in this series? :ph34r:
****ing BCCI won't ****ing pick Praveen Kumar, so we're stuck with one pacer in awesome form and two horribly inconsistent ones.(though one looks like a Greek god)

Harbhajan looks pretty out of touch. Ojha looks very good atm. Dunno why they even bothered picking Mishra(while not picking Praveen!)

Sehwag was strategically pwned by the Aussies. With respect, I highly doubt- unless Southee bowls reeeallly well-that NZ can exploit the short ball weakness without going for lots. Tendulkar's in murderous form. Good opportunity for Gambhir and Dravid to get some form before the SA series.

Either a 3-0 or a 2-0 to India, IMHO.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Why bother? They're gonna be clinical and awesome. What's to discuss?

NZ, on the other hand, could be any number of different things - promising, yet ****; idiotic and ****; horrendously outclassed and ****; downright pathetic and ****.

BeeGee

International Captain
Neither Southee nor McKay bowled terribly well in Bangladesh, while Arnel had some good spells against Zimbabwe A. At least that's what the scorecards suggest. So I don't think the selectors would choose both Southee and McKay to be in the starting XI. Seeing as McKay offers a bit of pace and left arm variation, Southee would probably be the one to miss out for Arnel. The only problem with that is a very weak 9-11.
Why do you say McKay didn't bowl well in Bangladesh?

His figures from the tour:
He bowled 24 overs, took 5 wickets and conceded 113 runs.
That's a bowling average of 22.6 and an economy rate of 4.7.
For a fast bowler bowling on dry, spin friendly pitches those are pretty good figures.