• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Zimbabwe Tri-Series (Zimbabwe, India, Sri Lanka)

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
SL payed dearly for bad selections. Four poor fielders is too much for a team (Mendis, Tharanga, Samaraweera, Silva). Chamara Silva is a selection blunder. Good that SL lost.

Unless the team is going to be good SL will lose the next match as well.

My picks, Dilshan, Thirimanne, Samaraweera, Mathews, Chandimal, Kapugedara, Perera, Randiv, Kulasekara, Fernado and Welagedara
Is Chandimal a keeper?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
All the more reason he should play, I reckon.. You lose Dilshan's fielding and his under rated bowling by having him keep.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Mendis decline is quite laughable yes the mystery may have been solved but I think the main reason he has been getting the tap is he is bowling garbage.
I have called for that when he was tying knots around Indian batsmen, that he needs a proper spinner's stock ball, rather than a finger flicked gimmick. In this case it is a proper off break that will drift, dip and rip. His carrom ball would have made him in to a fearsome prospect if he had developed a proper off break and bowled that frequently.

It's not late for A. Mendis to develop it though. If he develops a decent off break and starts to operate like a one, he could take 400 wickets, and could become the best spinner of the post-Murali era.

Xuhaib

International Coach
I have called for that when he was tying knots around Indian batsmen, that he needs a proper spinner's stock ball, rather than a finger flicked gimmick. In this case it is a proper off break that will drift, dip and rip. His carrom ball would have made him in to a fearsome prospect if he had developed a proper off break and bowled that frequently.

It's not late for A. Mendis to develop it though. If he develops a decent off break and starts to operate like a one, he could take 400 wickets, and could become the best spinner of the post-Murali era.
yeah can see what you mean Saqi decline did not start when people started picking his doosra but it was when he lost his off break though he was on his way in rectifying this then he got injured and then PCB washed their hands off him.

Himannv

International Coach
Really good to see Jeevan Mendis in the side. Hope they persist with him ahead of a certain MP.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
It was not a slight on Sri Lanka. They just have form for not messing around with the minnows. Just look at some of the records held in limited overs cricket - highest scores, inflicting the biggest defeats et cetera and they are usually attributed to Sri Lanka.

Himannv

International Coach
I concede lol.

Anyways, the only negative about yesterday's game was that some batsmen didn't get to spend time in the middle.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
gotta agree abt SL vis-a-vis minnows. They never seem to slip up against them even for a small bit, unlike most of the other major teams... Pretty amazing of them, actually.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
lol.. 2003 WC.. but on the whole, I get the feeling them and RSA are better all other international teams when it comes to not slipping up against the minnows.. And I am talking about being on top right from the start. You often get stages of play when the minnows are actually doing pretty well against the other teams but against these two, it looks like they get walloped from the get go..

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
lol.. 2003 WC.. but on the whole, I get the feeling them and RSA are better all other international teams when it comes to not slipping up against the minnows.. And I am talking about being on top right from the start. You often get stages of play when the minnows are actually doing pretty well against the other teams but against these two, it looks like they get walloped from the get go..
New Zealand springs to mind too.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Lost to Zim in the 99 WC. Could have avoided playing Aus in the Semi if they hadn't.
Lost to Bangladesh in the 2007 WC. Could have avoided playing Aus in the semi if they hadn't.

SA don't lose to minnows, except when it would make a really significant difference

:p

Sir Alex

Banned
Lost to Zim in the 99 WC. Could have avoided playing Aus in the Semi if they hadn't.
Lost to Bangladesh in the 2007 WC. Could have avoided playing Aus in the semi if they hadn't.

SA don't lose to minnows, except when it would make a really significant difference

:p
Zim were not minnows in today's sense in 99 WC.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
IMO they were, losing to them hurt the same way it did when we lost to Bangladesh last time.
Nope, I thought the 99 Zim team was better than even India in that WC..

And yeah, RSA losing only when it counts shows that they never take things differently when playing minnows.. :p Its all the same for them, illustrating my point. ;)

Xuhaib

International Coach
90's Pakistan was awesome they would play at the leval of the opposition regardless of the opposition's quality.