• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Where does Inzamam rank among Asia's batting greats?

Where does Inzamam stand among Asian batting greats

• Total voters
I would have Inzamam 7th after Sachin,Gavaskar,Dravid,Miandad,Jayawardene and Sangakkara and I fully expect Sehwag and Yousuf to topple him soon pushing him to 9th.

I dont think any Indian would agree to Mahela or Sangakarra being better than Inzi.

I think its safe to say that Tendulkar, Gavaskar and Miandad are the only ones ahead of Inzamam. Despites Yousufs stellar record, Inzamam easily was a better batsmen than him.

Its incredible how Pakistan always won when Inzamam scored, almost all his centuries resulted in Pakistan wins, its a remarkable stat.
17/25 to be exact.Impressive though it undoubtedly is,I am not sure that means a lot in terms of batting quality.He had bowlers like Waqar and Wasim to ensure his centuries did not go in vain more often than not. Gundappa Vishwanath never scored a century in a losing cause but that doesn't make him a better batsman than Lara, who has the most number of centuries in a losing cause now, does it?

How so? Just curious to hear your reasoning for it.
I like Jayawardene more maybe that is why :P Well, there is virtually nothing to separate them statistically, if anything Jayawardene has played longer and done more.There certainly is a strong case for Sangakkara over Jayawardene but somehow if I had to pick one to face a great bowling attack, I feel Jayawardene would do better.

Last edited:

satyam

School Boy/Girl Captain
In terms of consistency, yes. IMO not in terms of quality.

As for Inzy, I think there are a few ahead of him but he's certainly one of the top few from Pakistan.
Sangakara is a much better batsman than Jaya. Sangakara is the best SL bataman ever.
On the other hand Jaya is another of those home track hero batsman like Md. yousuf,Javed Miandad,

He averages only 36 outside Asia in test.

Himannv

International Coach
Sangakara is a much better batsman than Jaya. Sangakara is the best SL bataman ever.
On the other hand Jaya is another of those home track hero batsman like Md. yousuf,Javed Miandad,

He averages only 36 outside Asia in test.
As I said, I agree that he's not consistent. On his day however he can completely dominate any attack on any track.

Sanga is far more consistent than Mahela but he isn't as good as Mahela in full flow and good form.. Mahela when playing well is a class apart.

satyam

School Boy/Girl Captain
As I said, I agree that he's not consistent. On his day however he can completely dominate any attack on any track.

Sanga is far more consistent than Mahela but he isn't as good as Mahela in full flow and good form.. Mahela when playing well is a class apart.
This would be like saying VVS LAXMAN is better than sachin because laxman in full flow is a sight for the gods

Beleg

International Regular
Top_Cat's got it spot on.

Tendulkar's unquestionably better. I don't know enough about Gavaskar's batting to comment, however, trying to choose between Miandad and Inzamam is an exercise in futility. There are arguements in favour of both and seeing as I saw more of Inzamam's brilliance then I ever did of Miandad's, I'll go with Inzy.

I have a lot of time for Dravid's batting but over their complete careers I find it incredibly hard to seperate the two. Inzamam's ability to pace his innings and switch gears seemingly at will pitted against Dravid's resolute discipline and technical brilliance - I really don't have the answer.

I'll reserve my opinion on Sangakkara and Sehwag until they near the twilight of their careers. The rest aren't in the reckoning.

satyam

School Boy/Girl Captain
Top_Cat's got it spot on.

Tendulkar's unquestionably better. I don't know enough about Gavaskar's batting to comment, however, trying to choose between Miandad and Inzamam is an exercise in futility. There are arguements in favour of both and seeing as I saw more of Inzamam's brilliance then I ever did of Miandad's, I'll go with Inzy.

I have a lot of time for Dravid's batting but over their complete careers I find it incredibly hard to seperate the two. Inzamam's ability to pace his innings and switch gears seemingly at will pitted against Dravid's resolute discipline and technical brilliance - I really don't have the answer.

I'll reserve my opinion on Sangakkara and Sehwag until they near the twilight of their careers. The rest aren't in the reckoning.
If you don't know the answer i am telling you the answer.

Rahul Dravid was a much better batsman than INZI . Check at the record of INZI outside subcontinent and compare it with Dravid

Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | Cricinfo.com

So top 3 spots are clear
1.sachin
2.Gavaskar
3. Dravid

And yes sehwag in his career has achieved everything that Javed Miandad and Inzi could
achieve at a much better strike rate.
So, he takes the 4 th spot . 5th spot is taken by Javed Miandad. And then kumar sangakara is much better than INZI. Then we have plenty of other batsmen to discuss.So INZI just makes to top 10.

For further conclusion go through these stats.

Teja.

Global Moderator
If you don't know the answer i am telling you the answer.

Rahul Dravid was a much better batsman than INZI . Check at the record of INZI outside subcontinent and compare it with Dravid

So top 3 spots are clear
1.sachin
2.Gavaskar
3. Dravid

And yes sehwag in his career has achieved everything that Javed Miandad and Inzi could
achieve at a much better strike rate.
So, he takes the 4 th spot . 5th spot is taken by Javed Miandad. And then kumar sangakara is much better than INZI. Then we have plenty of other batsmen to discuss.So INZI just makes to top 10.

For further conclusion go through these stats.

All I can say is that there are certain things statistics cannot convey. I simply do not get how you can assume that all subcontinent pitches are flat and scoring on them requires no ability at all. Scoring in extreme turners is as much a test for batsmen as scoring on fast bouncy tracks.

Sehwag/Sangakkara et al. are still in the midst of their careers and they might/might not be better than Inzi by the end of their careers, It is unfair to criminally underrate such a legend of the game. Sehwag MIGHT be better than Miandad by the time he retires, but atm he is simply not in the same level as JM. Miandad was a special player who along with Chappel, Gavaskar & Richards were the best players of their time. He is highly regarded by the pacers of the era and Holding who rated Gavaskar to be a 'fair-weather batsman' rates Miandad to be the best he bowled to.

All that said, I'm a big big fan of Sehwag and believe that he will be an all-time great by the time he retires, but telling he is better than Miandad and Inzi already is pushing it IMO.

My Rankings:-
1.SRT
2.SMG
3.JM
4.HM
5.RD
6.IUH

satyam

School Boy/Girl Captain
All I can say is that there are certain things statistics cannot convey. I simply do not get how you can assume that all subcontinent pitches are flat and scoring on them requires no ability at all. Scoring in extreme turners is as much a test for batsmen as scoring on fast bouncy tracks.

Sehwag/Sangakkara et al. are still in the midst of their careers and they might/might not be better than Inzi by the end of their careers, It is unfair to criminally underrate such a legend of the game. Sehwag MIGHT be better than Miandad by the time he retires, but atm he is simply not in the same level as JM. Miandad was a special player who along with Chappel, Gavaskar & Richards were the best players of their time. He is highly regarded by the pacers of the era and Holding who rated Gavaskar to be a 'fair-weather batsman' rates Miandad to be the best he bowled to.

All that said, I'm a big big fan of Sehwag and believe that he will be an all-time great by the time he retires, but telling he is better than Miandad and Inzi already is pushing it IMO.

My Rankings:-
1.SRT
2.SMG
3.JM
4.HM
5.RD
6.IUH
Please explain me how is Haneef Mohammed a better bat than VVS LAXMAN, when all
Mcgrath,warne , steve waugh rate him so highly