• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Richards v Tendulkar - ODIs

Who is the best ODI batsman of all time?

• Total voters

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
honestbharani, having voted for Sachin in the above poll ,what are u arguing about?
lol... read my earlier post. Of course, I rate Sachin to be better.. I am simply pointing out that you guys are giving much less credit to Richards than he deserves. He was THAT much better than his contemporaries of that time... That is not an argument at all... And reg. SRs and stuff, I will get home and see if I can figure out what you are saying. Cricinfo blocked at work and all that...

pasag

RTDAS
lol... Read my earlier post. Of course, i rate sachin to be better.. I am simply pointing out that you guys are giving much less credit to richards than he deserves. He was that much better than his contemporaries of that time... That is not an argument at all... And reg. Srs and stuff, i will get home and see if i can figure out what you are saying. Cricinfo blocked at work and all that...
:laugh:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Questioning some one's intellect. Pronouncing it astounding is a shockingly bad thing to say.

And I can take it. I just don't like double standards. Like the one who come up with to get behind the ass of your friend GIMH.
Why is it a shockingly bad thing to say, if I think your opinion is crap them I'm perfectly entitled to say so.

As for the rest, well...as Andre said...keep digging.

pasag

RTDAS
well.. he quoted stats.. I saw some of them but off the VPN, I cant get on cricinfo.. so I meant that I ll go home and chk if the stats really show Richards to be not that far ahead of the pack in ODIs of his era..
Haha, nah I just found it humorous your work banned cricinfo.

gwo

U19 Debutant
Quite a good spot that is. He didn't have as many notouts either. He indeed has a case for being above Viv Richards.
Have you watched either Abbas or Richards?

I do recall you saying you were a toddler re: Richards, so can you please not comment and compare the 2 players (either Abbas and RIchards or Richards and Tendulkar) when you CLEARLY have not watched half of the equation.

Sir Alex

Banned
Have you watched either Abbas or Richards?

I do recall you saying you were a toddler re: Richards, so can you please not comment and compare the 2 players (either Abbas and RIchards or Richards and Tendulkar) when you CLEARLY have not watched half of the equation.

Have you watched Bradman bat? Having not watched him means you don't rate him?

Please keep your **** to yourself please ****. :)

Sir Alex

Banned
I am not arguing that statistics are the best or conclusive way of judging players. unfortunately due to circumstances I cannot resolve, I have to rely on them, and accounts of reports who have watched them. The latter, with a very few exceptions, are prone to subjectivity and bias as well. So hat leaves me just the stas, the numbers to base my comparison of these players.

I haven't claimed that's the best thing. But due to want of a better alternative, I got to take that.

As long as I am not mouthing inaninities I believe I am entitled to my opinion. You all have a right to disagree, but no right to dictate me to stop voicing my opinion.

There is always an Ignore option.

gwo

U19 Debutant
I don't go about claiming stupid **** re: Bradman. That's the difference between me and you re:Richards.

Give me a reason how you can even begin to compare tendulkar to richards. Because you've seen tendulkar? try again cos that still doesn't give you anything but stats on talking about richards.

Sir Alex

Banned
I don't go about claiming stupid **** re: Bradman. That's the difference between me and you re:Richards.

Give me a reason how you can even begin to compare tendulkar to richards. Because you've seen tendulkar? try again cos that still doesn't give you anything but stats on talking about richards.
What is this "stupid" claim I've raised about Richards?

The reason for comparing Richards and Tendulkar? How about reading the opening post of this thread?

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think if I was captain of a cricket team and I had to choose between Tendulkar and Richards I would be an excedingly happy man. I would of course pick Tendulkar as he has better form than Richards has at the moment. However, given Richards at the peak of his career and Tendulkar at the peak of his career I would probably have a much more difficult task.

What I can say is that I think Tendulkar is the greatest ODI batsman of all time, but not by a *huge* amount. The difference between the Tendulkar and Richards is really the volume of runs Tendulkar has made.

All that is left for Tendulkar to complete his resume is a WC win. I hope that Australia stop him next year.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Viv had a much better Avg and SR comparative to his peers than SRT. But Viv played in an era where reverse swing was not heard of. Very minute number of bowlers bowled yorkers or changed pace during his time. He did not play any one even closer to the class of Murali, Saqlain or Warne in ODIs (perhaps barring Qadir). Conversly, SRT played on much better tracks, and had fielding restrictions. Since Viv has not been thorougly tested with spin in ODIs (which really became a force in mid 1990s, and Viv did play some good spinners in test matches), I would go with Tendulkar, because he dominated every type of bowler that came across his path.

asty80

School Boy/Girl Captain
Tendulkar my man. Richards is more comparable to Sehwag as a player (though Sehwag's ODI record is much poorer than his test record which defies logic) and Sachin is a little bit ahead of them imho.

Sachin has played in a losing team most of his life with the pressure of his wicket meaning the end of the match. Richards had the luxury of playing in a great team with not as much pressure. The amount of pressure that Sachin has absorbed is way beyond any other batsman. Look at his record inspite of that, and you just cannot place anybody above him in ODIs.

If you take the minnows out of the equasion Richards is just far to superior.

Although Viv didnt get to play South Africa he averaged 47+ against the top 6 cricket teams, Tendulkar on the other hand plays against a lot of minnows and if you just look at the top 7 nations he averages 41 (not a bad average). But I found Viv to be an exciting player that had you on the edge of your seat when he came into bat, you just knew something was going to happen. Tendulkar is a very good player but I find he dosent stir the same passion that Viv did.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
If you take the minnows out of the equasion Richards is just far to superior.

Although Viv didnt get to play South Africa he averaged 47+ against the top 6 cricket teams, Tendulkar on the other hand plays against a lot of minnows and if you just look at the top 7 nations he averages 41 (not a bad average). But I found Viv to be an exciting player that had you on the edge of your seat when he came into bat, you just knew something was going to happen. Tendulkar is a very good player but I find he dosent stir the same passion that Viv did.
And you have to remove minnows out of Viv's record as well.

Viv averages 46.7 @ 89.6 against non - minnows
SRT averages 43.4 @ 85.2 against non - minnows

SRT averages 35+ where ever he played against a non - minnow. But Viv's average is very much less against Pakistan who had the best bowling attack at the time behind WI, and notably the only class spinner in the ranks. The impression I get is if there were better attacks around, Viv would have averaged less.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Why is it a shockingly bad thing to say, if I think your opinion is crap them I'm perfectly entitled to say so.
No you are not. You can say some one's point is crap or stupid. To attack a person personally by stating he is 'lacking intellect' (like GIMH stated) or crap or asshole (like I said to put across my point) is not a debating the point any more. It is an ad hominem attack.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Yeah was coming here to edit. 'Lacking intellect'. Yeah it is some thing I let go. Not an issue with me at all. Can we hug please?