• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sheep Draft Version 2.0

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
----------------------------Runs--------Ave--------Wickets--------Average--------Cts
1 Michael Slater ------5312--------42.83--------1----------------10----------------33
2 Herchelle Gibbs-----6167--------41.95--------0----------------N/A----------------94
3 Ricky Ponting--------11561------54.79--------5----------------48.40----------------162
4 Jacques Kallis-------10633------54.80--------259----------------31.36----------------151
5 Ijaz Ahmed------------3315--------37.67--------2----------------38.50----------------45
6 Allan Border-----------11174------50.56--------39----------------39.10----------------156
7 R. Kaluwitharana----1933--------26.12--------0----------------N/A----------------93(26)
8 Shane Warne---------3154--------17.32--------708----------------25.41----------------125
9 Harbajhan Singh-----1525--------16.75--------343----------------30.82----------------39
10 Geoff Lawson--------894--------15.96--------180----------------30.56----------------10
11 Andy Caddick-------861--------10.37--------234---------------- 29.91----------------21
You have possibly got the strongest batting order in this comp (down to 6 anyway) and certainly the strongest spin attack. However your fast bowling stocks are poor. Lawson and Caddick were fine bowlers, but are not going to run through the other batting lineups in this comp. I'd expect this team to do very well in the subcontinent (except maybe in India with Ponting and Warne both in the team).

stephen

Everyone else is doing write-ups so I'm gonna join in. Can't let my team go without good advertising:p

Barry Richards
Almost unanimously considered the greatest opener SA have ever produced despite his limited test appearances, Richards will ensure that my team gets of to great starts..

Vinoo Mankad
Arguably India's greatest allrounder, don't let his statistics fool you. As an opener he averaged 40 and scored all 5 of his tons. Also gives the team a fantastic second spin option.

Rahul Dravid
The 'Wall' combines watertight defense, an unmatched ability to form partnerships and over 11000 test runs to make the perfect number 3. Undoubtedly one of the best batsmen of his generation.

Javed Miandad
Pakistan's greatest batsman and one of crickets ultimate street fighters. Along with Dravid, he's the backbone of my batting. He guarantees that I'll always have a competitive total.

Ernest Tyldesley
One of those batsmen who can consider themselves unlucky to have not played more tests. If a batting average of 55 from 14 test doesn't show his skill, then his 103 first class centuries do.

Colin Bland
His brilliant fielding often clouds the excellence of his batting. A hard hitting batsman with an average of just over 49, he rounds out a brilliant middle-order.

Imran Khan
The ultimate superstar of my side. One of the greatest ever fast bowlers, a dangerous lower order batsman and an outstanding captain. They don't come much better than this.

John Waite
My personal choice for the SA all time XI. A wonderful competitor with the bat, at number 8 he caps of an obscenely long batting line-up. With the gloves he is both safe and skilled.

Hugh Trumble
Australia's finest off-spinner and one of only 3 men to have taken 2 test hat-tricks. Crafty and capable on flat pitch, on a spinners track he becomes a genuine terror. With Mankad, he forms one of the best spin partnerships going around.

Wes Hall
The first of the great West Indies pace bowlers. A hostile and fast new ball bowler, he makes a perfect partner for Imran opening the bowling.

Ian Bishop
A fantastic bolwer before injuries curtailed his career, Bishop makes the perfect first change. With his fast outswingers batsmen can't rest easy

All in all I'm delighted with the way my team has turned out. I don't really see any weaknesses with it and it has plenty of strengths. A powerful and secure top 6, deep lower order batting and a well rounded bowling attack, capable of taking advantage of any surface.
I've said it before but I really love this team. Certainly could match it with any team in history, and usually would win. Imran really is the glue that holds the team together IMO.

Blakus

State Vice-Captain
I've said it before but I really love this team. Certainly could match it with any team in history, and usually would win. Imran really is the glue that holds the team together IMO.
Which is why I was so happy to get him.

And to Matt and Honestbharani, no I didn't get a single sheep. Came close a few times but managed to grab some good third picks (Allen, Waite, Mankad and Trumble).
Hall and Bishop were second choices, whilst Richards, Bland, Tyldesley, Miandad, Dravid and Imran were all first choice gets.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Which is why I was so happy to get him.

And to Matt and Honestbharani, no I didn't get a single sheep. Came close a few times but managed to grab some good third picks (Allen, Waite, Mankad and Trumble).
Hall and Bishop were second choices, whilst Richards, Bland, Tyldesley, Miandad, Dravid and Imran were all first choice gets.
yeah... thought you got it as a sheep as I saw metallics or someone nominate him for a sheep. Apologies everyone.. :(

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Okay, so here is everyone's final XI's. I didn't include the write-ups but please look at them over the past page if you are stuck.

fredfertang
1. Graham Gooch
2. Charles Bannerman
3 George Gunn
4 Stan McCabe
5 Eddie Paynter
6 Aubrey Faulkner
7 Stanley Jackson
8 Harold Larwood
9 Moin Khan+
10 Allan Donald
11 Bishen Bedi

Marcuss (please let me know if I have the batting lineup incorrect)
1. Andrew Strauss*
2. Qasim Umar
3. Bob Cowper
4. Mushtaq Mohammad
5. Michael Clarke
6. Alec Stewart+
7. Andrew Symonds
8. Richard Hadlee
9. Dennis Lillee
10. Stuart Clark
11. Courtney Walsh

Blakus
1.Barry Richards
2.Vinoo Mankad
3.Rahul Dravid
4.Javed Miandad
5.Ernest Tyldesley
6.Colin Bland
7.Imran Khan*
8.John Waite+
9.Hugh Trumble
10.Wes Hall
11.Ian Bishop

metallics2006
1. Matthew Hayden
2. Kepler Wessels
3. Viv Richards
4. Mark Waugh
5. Shiv Chaderpaul
6. Tony Greig
7. MS Dhoni+
8. Anil Kumble
9. Fanie de Villiers
10. Waqar Younis
11. Brett Schultz

Michaelf7777777
1. Bert Suttcliffe
2. Herbie Collins (VC)
3. Keith Miller (C)
4. Saleem Malik
5. Jack Ryder
6. Billy Murdoch+
7. Monty Noble
8. Albert Trott
9. Fazal Mahmood
10. Tom Richardson
11. JJ Ferris

kof98
1 Michael Slater
2 Herchelle Gibbs
3 Ricky Ponting
4 Jacques Kallis
5 Ijaz Ahmed
6 Allan Border
7 R. Kaluwitharana+
8 Shane Warne
9 Harbajhan Singh
10 Geoff Lawson
11 Andy Caddick

bryce
1. C.S Dempster
2. A.B De Villiers+
3. Kumar Duleepsinhji
4. Martin Crowe
5. Inzamam Ul-Haq
6. Thilan Samaraweera
7. J.R Reid*
8. Shaun Pollock
9. Paul Reiffel
10. Bobby Peel
11. George Lohmann

honestbharani
1. Bob Simpson
2. Lawrence Rowe
3. VVS Laxman
4. Frank Worrell (c)
5. Allan Lamb
6. Eddie Barlow
7. Kapil Dev
8. Brendon Kuruppu+
9. Willie Bates
10. Ron Archer
11. Alec Bedser

G.I.Joe
1. Michael Vaughan
2. Grant Elliott
3. Victor Trumper
4. Sachin Tendulkar (vc)
5. Doug Walters
6. Clyde Walcott +
7. Warwick Armstrong (c)
8. Andrew Flintoff
9. Len Butterfield
10. Frank Tyson
11. Glenn McGrath

biased Somerset indian
1. Chris Gayle (c)
2. Sanath Jayasuriya
3. Vijay Hazare
4. Vijay Merchant
5. Graeme Dowling
6. Alan Knott+
7. Azhar Mahmood
8. Heath Streak
9. Murray Chapple
10. Dipak Patel
11.Curtly Ambrose

Matt79
1. Len Hutton*
2. Conrad Hunte
3. Ted Dexter
4. Greg Chappell
5. Seymour Nurse
6. Jack Gregory
7. Rashid Latif+
8. Ray Lindwall
9. Merv Hughes
10. Bill Johnston
11. Muttiah Muralitharan

VOTING
I'll give everyone 72 hours to cast your votes.
1st gets 2 points, 2nd gets 1 point.
You can not vote for your own team.
If you fail to vote you lose 2 points
People who did not participate can vote also, sheepdraft@hotmail.com

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
btw, Kurupu is my wicket keeper. :)
You gave Marcuss my team:p
:whistling

Here is marcuss's team writeup, I just received an email from him.

1 Qasim Umar – 1502 runs @ 36.33
Given to me as a sheep Umar was a more than successful FC and whilst he didn’t transfer all of that ability into the Test arena, his average and 2 Test double hundreds show he was more than competent at the highest level.

2. Andrew Strauss* – 5414 runs @ 44.01
Andrew Strauss, current England skipper, is a fantastic Test match opener. Whilst he was dropped in early 2008, since his return the side he’s displayed his ability as a top tier Test match opener. Since his recall he hasn’t looked back and has continued to churn out runs by the bucket load. His conversion rate is nothing to be sniffed at either.

3. Bob Cowper – 2061 runs @ 46.84; 36 wickets @ 31.63
Cowper’s record is one of excellence and if it wasn’t for his supreme intellect, which indirectly led to him retiring from Test cricket at the age of 28, who knows what sort of career he could’ve built for himself. His mammoth innings of 307 against England in 1966 was the only triple century on Australian soil until a certain Mr Hayden boshed a hapless Zimbabwe attack for 380.

4. Mushtaq Mohammad – 3643 runs @ 39.17; 79 wickets @ 29.22
More FC centuries and FC wickets than any of his brothers. (Possibly) The youngest Test century maker and a fine Test match allrounder. His legspin will be vital to my teams balance with an all pace take besides him and Cowper.

5. Michael Clarke – 3950 runs @ 48.76
Current Austalian vice captain and already earmarked for the job full time when Ponting retires, you don’t manage to climb that high in the Australian pecking order if you’re not made of the right stuff. A batsman of real class, a fielder of genuine ability and a bowler who can surprise a few Indians when the situation is right.

6. Alec Stewart+ – 8463 runs @ 39.54; 227(263) catches/14 stumpings as keeper(total)
When on song he appeared unstoppable. England’s most capped player, as a wicket keeper he always had ability with the bat and over time his glovework developed from merely acceptable to excellent.

7. Andrew Symonds – 1462 runs @ 40.61.
Symonds adds a bit of spice to this side, as he would any in the history of the game. On his day he can completely demolish an attack, slaughtering them to any part of the ground he feels like hitting them. His fielding isn’t too shoddy either. Though he’s not one of the best to ever play the game he’s not a bad guy to have coming in at 7. His medium pacers could be useful if I’m in need of a partnership breaker.

8. Sir Richard Hadlee – 3124 runs @ 27.16; 431 wickets @ 22.29
Hadlee is greatest Test cricketer to ever represent New Zealand to be blunt. The first man to take 400 Test wickets and one of the greatest bowlers of all time in his own right, he was all that and more as his 3000 Test runs, 2 Test centuries and 15 Test 50s testify.

9. Dennis Lillee – 355 wickets @ 23.92
355 wickets from just 70 matches underline Lillee’s greatness as a bowler. A fan favourite who gave his all for the team, Lillee was named in Australia’s Text XI for the 20th Century. He was a fantastic bowler.

10. Stuart Clark – 94 wickets @ 23.86
Clark was ridiculously successful at the beginning of his Test career and his record of 54 wickets @ 23.35 on home soil, playing on some of the flattest pitches of recent memory, is a huge achievement. Clark was a bowler whose peak was very, very high.

11. Courtney Walsh – 519 wickets @ 24.44
The longevity of this man’s career is outstanding but to sustain the level of excellence he did is nigh on incomprehensible, a staggering 519 wickets in 132 Test matches. More than 1800(!) FC wickets in nearly 430 matches is an incredible feat. Often overshadowed in the great West Indian attack Walsh was willing to run in up the hill for long spells whilst Ambrose or Marshall steamed down the hill. Whilst being an absolutely fantastic bowler Walsh was also a genuine number 11 with 43 Test match ducks.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

Given to me as a sheep Umar was a more than successful FC and whilst he didn’t transfer all of that ability into the Test arena, his average and 2 Test double hundreds show he was more than competent at the highest level.

Andrew Strauss, current England skipper, is a fantastic Test match opener. Whilst he was dropped in early 2008, since his return the side he’s displayed his ability as a top tier Test match opener. Since his recall he hasn’t looked back and has continued to churn out runs by the bucket load. His conversion rate is nothing to be sniffed at either.

Cowper’s record is one of excellence and if it wasn’t for his supreme intellect, which indirectly led to him retiring from Test cricket at the age of 28, who knows what sort of career he could’ve built for himself. His mammoth innings of 307 against England in 1966 was the only triple century on Australian soil until a certain Mr Hayden boshed a hapless Zimbabwe attack for 380.

More FC centuries and FC wickets than any of his brothers. (Possibly) The youngest Test century maker and a fine Test match allrounder. His legspin will be vital to my teams balance with an all pace take besides him and Cowper.

Current Austalian vice captain and already earmarked for the job full time when Ponting retires, you don’t manage to climb that high in the Australian pecking order if you’re not made of the right stuff. A batsman of real class, a fielder of genuine ability and a bowler who can surprise a few Indians when the situation is right.

6. Alec Stewart+ – 8463 runs @ 39.54; 227(263) catches/14 stumpings as keeper(total)
When on song he appeared unstoppable. England’s most capped player, as a wicket keeper he always had ability with the bat and over time his glovework developed from merely acceptable to excellent.

Symonds adds a bit of spice to this side, as he would any in the history of the game. On his day he can completely demolish an attack, slaughtering them to any part of the ground he feels like hitting them. His fielding isn’t too shoddy either. Though he’s not one of the best to ever play the game he’s not a bad guy to have coming in at 7. His medium pacers could be useful if I’m in need of a partnership breaker.

Hadlee is greatest Test cricketer to ever represent New Zealand to be blunt. The first man to take 400 Test wickets and one of the greatest bowlers of all time in his own right, he was all that and more as his 3000 Test runs, 2 Test centuries and 15 Test 50s testify.

355 wickets from just 70 matches underline Lillee’s greatness as a bowler. A fan favourite who gave his all for the team, Lillee was named in Australia’s Text XI for the 20th Century. He was a fantastic bowler.

Clark was ridiculously successful at the beginning of his Test career and his record of 54 wickets @ 23.35 on home soil, playing on some of the flattest pitches of recent memory, is a huge achievement. Clark was a bowler whose peak was very, very high.

The longevity of this man’s career is outstanding but to sustain the level of excellence he did is nigh on incomprehensible, a staggering 519 wickets in 132 Test matches. More than 1800(!) FC wickets in nearly 430 matches is an incredible feat. Often overshadowed in the great West Indian attack Walsh was willing to run in up the hill for long spells whilst Ambrose or Marshall steamed down the hill. Whilst being an absolutely fantastic bowler Walsh was also a genuine number 11 with 43 Test match ducks.
hey I didnt mean it in a negative way.. Juz pointed out so that u cud edit it.

This was an awesome draft, btw and had a blast here. Your questions were excellent and we had great contestants here and it has been awesome time during this draft.. Thanks everyone, esp. NUFAN.. Was a pleasure. :)

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

Excellent side from Marcus there.. Real quality.

Himannv

International Coach
Excellent side from Marcus there.. Real quality.
Just butting in here, but that pace attack looks really great. Lillee, Hadlee and Walsh sounds really formidable.

Personally think the teams composed by Blakus and metallics look really great. Cheers.

Blakus

State Vice-Captain
So what has been everyone's favorite picks and biggest regrets?

My favorite pick/s was the dual grab of Miandad and Dravid in rounds 9 and 10. My team was struggling for big names at that point, and I thought I was going to end up with a fairly middling team. I was completely shocked to get both of them, and more than a bit delighted, as suddenly my team became a genuine contender.

My biggest regret is not going for Fred Trueman in round 11. I managed to convince myself at the last moment that surely, someone else would go for him. Turns out no-one did. Hall is still a good pacer but he's not in Trueman's class.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
So what has been everyone's favorite picks and biggest regrets?

My favorite pick/s was the dual grab of Miandad and Dravid in rounds 9 and 10. My team was struggling for big names at that point, and I thought I was going to end up with a fairly middling team. I was completely shocked to get both of them, and more than a bit delighted, as suddenly my team became a genuine contender.

My biggest regret is not going for Fred Trueman in round 11. I managed to convince myself at the last moment that surely, someone else would go for him. Turns out no-one did. Hall is still a good pacer but he's not in Trueman's class.
I thought I was lucky to get in Kapil Dev, Bedser and Eddie Barlow.

Still cannot believe I missed out on Lara.. :(

G.I.Joe

International Coach
My last 3 picks, I think, were Tendulkar, McGrath and Walcott. Salvage efforts don't get any better than that, IMO.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Favorite picks that I was stoked to get were Richards, Hayden and Waqar. Did not expect to get them at all tbh.

stephen

My last 3 picks, I think, were Tendulkar, McGrath and Walcott. Salvage efforts don't get any better than that, IMO.
If you didn't have two lambs in your side (calling them sheep is insulting sheep everywhere) then yours would have been hands down the best side out there. Those last 3 rounds were extremely massive for you.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Stephen:

Thanks so much for taking the effort to give us such detailed feedback.. Really appreciate. :)

As for star power in my team, I think Kapil, Alec Bedser and Worrell and Barlow are star players in their own right, in more senses than one with some of them... ;) Anyways, I feel my batting will hold up in most conditions and so will my bowling, esp. since I get the left arm medium pace/slow option with Worrell...

Here is the write up:

1. Bob Simpson (vc)

One of the best openers from Australia, one of the finest slippers and skippers in the nation's history too. Solid support bowler as well as his 71 test wickets indicate and a more than useful guy to have at the top. His skippering skills will be utilized by Sir Frank as he will be his deputy.

2. Lawrence Rowe

A techncally correct batsmen, either opening or in the top order and very pleasing to the eye. Solid as a rock in most conditions and the best guy to blunt the good new ball attacks the other teams have in this competition before my middle order can take over.. :)

3. VVS Laxman

Very Very Special is my guy at no.3. While an average of 45+ is darn impressive on its own, forgetting the period when he was opening, he actually averages almost 50!!! An excellent batsman in most conditions, the ideal guy in my side to set up the game coming in at 3. Nobody in the noughties made attacking batting look more easy and pleasing than Lax...

4. Frank Worrell (c)

A legend of the game... An awesome batsman, an awesome captain and an adequate left armer who can bowl both medium pace and spin.. He lends balance, diplomacy, esteem and great captaincy to this side.

5. Allan Lamb

Wisden Quote: "Small, stocky, aggressive, he had a correct technique, power in his shots and a gift for needling the bowlers." Says it all. An aggressive batsman is what I needed at 5 to build on the good work done by the solid top 4 and Lamb fits the bill. It is easy to be fooled by averages but he averaged 37 at a time when the best were middling 40s in a great era for bowling during the 80s. An excellent impact player for the side at 5.

6. Eddie Barlow

Another star for my side... An amazing all rounder. From Wisden: "He was one of the most popular players of his generation, and never gave less than his all as an obdurate opening batsman, an aggressive medium-pacer and a superb slip field." Says it all. Awesome fit at no.6 for my side.

7. Kapil Dev

The man who first sowed the seeds for the maniacal popularity of cricket in India. An aggressive opening bowler with an outswinger and yorker to die for and an aggressive middle order batsman who could have scored a lot more runs had he had a better batting line up ahead of him.. Another superstar player for my side and one of the hinges of this bowling attack.

8. Brendon Kuruppu (wk)

Not the best keeper/batsman around but a very competent keeper as shown by his FC stats and a pretty good batsman good enough to score a test double hundred on debut. Under rated but an excellent keeper and with mainly pacers in my side, he should not have TOO much difficulty.

9. Ron Archer

From Wisden: "But for a knee injury that ended his career at 23, allrounder Ron Archer would almost certainly have captained Australia. A genuine allrounder with flair and occasional flamboyance, he swung the ball both ways." Not the worst guy to come in at 8, huh? A real FAST bowler as well so that he adds nicely to this side and contributes in more ways than one.

10. Willie Bates

A 'beast' of an offspinner, and no, not just because it is an acronym of his name.. An average of 16 for his 50 test wickets and but for injury, one of the all timers in the making. The first guy to get a hat trick in test cricket from England. It doesn't get much better for this for a spinner in my side. A more than capable bat as well, esp. for Jack as an average of 25+ suggests both in tests and FCs. FC bowling average of 17 and test bowling average of 16 at a time when at times FC cricket was more competitive than tests... An amazing guy to have as your lone spinner.

11. Sir Alec Bedser

You never mind when you get a guy with a FC hundred as your no.11, but that is not all. He is also one of the finest bowlers EVER to have played the game. From Wisden: "A powerfully-built, naggingly accurate, medium-fast bowler, with a classical action off a short run, Bedser's stock ball was the inswinger, his most dangerous the legcutter which fizzed off the pitch like a fast legbreak.". Wisden's cricketer of the year in 1947, he bowled at a time when pitches were generally flat and easy for batting (No less than Sir Don Bradman himself has stated this) and his bowling average of 24 must be judged in that context. A bowler being the cricketer of the year at a time when Bradman was running rampant says it all. And I think he is the only knight in my team, not really sure, but what the heck!!! :)

And they shall be called "The Honest XI"... No pretence, just performance... :)

Last edited:

Shri

Mr. Glass
I call unfair advertising. How come you get to go all bold type while we stick to the code?
If I had not done what I did, you would all be dead. I saved your lives. Now look where we are. We are stronger than ever, changing the course of history as we see it. Choosing the targets we select. We can redistribute power where we see fit. The wolves rule, not the sheep. Now, if any of you feel the need to follow the code of the Fraternity to the letter, I invite you to take your gun, put it in your mouth, and pull the trigger. That is what G.I. Joe demands. Otherwise, shoot *this* mother****er and let us take our Fraternity of assassins to heights reserved only for the gods of men! You choose.

Last edited:

stephen

Stephen:

Thanks so much for taking the effort to give us such detailed feedback.. Really appreciate. :)

Hey no problem. I didn't give everyone feedback, just those sides that I felt I had something worthwhile to say something about.

One thing I really like about this draft is that you end up with a lot of second tier players in teams. Those players who were probably just below all time great status but were still exceptional performers for a decade or so.