• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tri-Nation ODI Series in Bangladesh

Shri

Mr. Glass
Raina was awesome as well. It shouldn't have come to this in the first place. ****ing Nehra!

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Is there a better ODI player in the world than Dhoni? He's a superb captain for the format, keeps wicket to a good standard, averages over 50 with the bat after more than 150 games and can play any sort of role (early-innings pinch hitter, #3 hundred maker, middle overs accumulator, finisher or a mix of any of those as the innings goes on) you like. Hell he even has a wicket. The best ODI player in the world right now IMO, and there could well be an argument for him being the best ever when he retires.

Last edited:

Shri

Mr. Glass
Is there a better ODI player in the world than Dhoni? He's a superb captain for the format, keeps wicket to a good standard, averages over 50 with the bat after more than 150 games and can play any sort of role (early-innings pinch hitter, #3 hundred maker, middle overs accumulator, finisher or a mix of any of those as the innings goes on) you like. Hell he even has a wicket. The best ODI player in the world right now IMO, and there could well be an argument for him being the best ever when he retires.
How much did he help you win this time?:p

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
How much did he help you win this time?:p
Haha, actually didn't have a bet on this game at all. :p

I was thinking about betting on Dhoni to ton up but bet365 didn't offer that option tonight for some reason. Brings up an interesting new way to accuse people of bias though - "you only rate him because he won you money" will be all the rage in the next X v Y threads.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Haha, actually didn't have a bet on this game at all. :p

I was thinking about betting on Dhoni to ton up but bet365 didn't offer that option tonight for some reason. Brings up an interesting new way to accuse people of bias though - "you only rate him because he won you money" will be all the rage in the next X v Y threads.
Well then I suppose it is just a honest, free-of-**** evaluation of a player.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Dhoni:

"If we want to be No. 1, we need to do better with with ball and in the field. Today's best bowler was Yuvraj, and that's not really a good sign."
:laugh:
Yuraj: I am Jack's broken heart.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Seems like Bangladesh have turned the corner at least on subcontinent pitches. Very poor bowling by India though. Kohli was brilliant and what to say about Dhoni.

Sir Alex

Banned
If only he could emulate that record in the World Cup also. Hopefully there is enough time. But at the moment he is certainly the best ODI middle order batsman in the world.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
He looks better than Kaif, which is not all that difficult considering his stance and his strokes.

Sir Alex

Banned
How will India win the World Cup with this bowling attack?
World Cup is more about momentum and group form. The same question was asked about the Australian team after it failed to defend successive 350+ scores in New Zealand and were whitewashed. However since then they regrouped amazingly and won the 2007 World Cup. So I won't read much into this. Of course the fact that pitches are getting even flatter surely does not help. India's strength has always been it's batting and hence even 350 scores are not "daunting" for these guys.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
World Cup is more about momentum and group form.
Nah it actually does have quite a lot to do with having a good ODI team. Shocking I know. The fact that the same team has won the last three World Cups should probably give you a hint that there's a bit more to it than form and momentum; two very cyclical and random factors of cricket. If Holland played Castle Hill RSL B Grade in twenty one dayers just before the World Cup they'd have plenty of momentum I'm sure but they'd still get nailed.

The same question was asked about the Australian team after it failed to defend successive 350+ scores in New Zealand and were whitewashed.
That was a one-off three game series though, in which Australia rested several of its players. It wasn't just normal service; it was the exception. You can't really say that a bowling attack of McGrath, Tait in his prime, Bracken, Hogg and Watson was rubbish and that momentum carried them through. An ODI attack which sees Zaheer and Nehra open the bowling is an entirely different thing, momentum or not.

I'm not saying India can't win the World Cup, but to suggest that the quality of the team and the players is secondary to momentum really demeans the tournament in general IMO, not to mention being outrageously wrong anyway.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
LOL @ "Tait in his prime". So crazy that his prime is over so quickly.

One of the weirdest cricketers I'll ever see.

Sir Alex

Banned
Nah it actually does have quite a lot to do with having a good ODI team. Shocking I know. The fact that the same team has won the last three World Cups should probably give you a hint that there's a bit more to it than form and momentum; two very cyclical and random factors of cricket. If Holland played Castle Hill RSL B Grade in twenty one dayers just before the World Cup they'd have plenty of momentum I'm sure but they'd still get nailed.

That was a one-off three game series though, in which Australia rested several of its players. It wasn't just normal service; it was the exception. You can't really say that a bowling attack of McGrath, Tait in his prime, Bracken, Hogg and Watson was rubbish and that momentum carried them through. An ODI attack which sees Zaheer and Nehra open the bowling is an entirely different thing, momentum or not.

I'm not saying India can't win the World Cup, but to suggest that the quality of the team and the players is secondary to momentum really demeans the tournament in general IMO, not to mention being outrageously wrong anyway.
I don't want to do an aussie with multiquoting thing here but basically it is your opinion and I respect it. However good/great the team is, peaking at the right moment is as important if not more in case of tourneys like WC. Australia did it in 1987, India did it improbably in 1983, Pakistan in 1992 (when they were all but gone). None of these cases the teams were pretournament favorites. Of course a team can be called good in hindsight if they show such consistent group form but that's more of an effect than the cause. In such short span tournaments of course momentum is more important than quality of players. The aforementioned examples are enough proof I believe for the same.

Last edited: