• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How great is your all time great Team ??

Which of these sides is the strongest

• Total voters

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Lindwall was superior with the ball and in a batting attack which contains Bradman and Gilchrist I really don't think you need the extra 15 runs that Miller might give you. Much more preferable to get the better bowler IMO.
Miller is only slightly less effective than Lindwall as a bowler TBH. Lindwall's equal if you are talking dollars and cents (average and SR) and only comes up short in wickets per match (he bowled less). As a 3rd pacer that difference probably means even less; especially with a spinner in the caliber of Warne.

Gives you much more with the bat, an excellent fielder and also a good leader. Your team, but I don't think it effects the balance much at all if you really wanted him in the team.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
For Lindwall? May give you slightly less with the ball but much more with the bat. Apart from Trumper I think that's still a very good side, but Lillee, McGrath, Warne and Miller are enough as a bowling attack - for balance - really.
I'd be much more included to play Miller for one of the batsmen in that team. I wouldn't play him for Lindwall - if you're only going to have four bowlers, which is fine, they really should be the best four available to you on bowling alone IMO.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
With a team that has Bradman you'd get away with it. Generally, I'd remove a bowling all-rounder for a bowler. The alternative gives you too much drop in quality for that discipline IMO.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Yea Ponting would have to go out unfortunately in that team. Having Miller in the AUS ATXI to give 5 bowlers in invaluable.

Also Simpson>Trumper.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yea Ponting would have to go out unfortunately in that team. Having Miller in the AUS ATXI to give 5 bowlers in invaluable.

Also Simpson>Trumper.
Ponting is largely regarded as the 2nd best batsman since Bradman. It would probably be worth playing him as an opener over Trumper than dropping him. To drop a batsman I'd probably drop Border, but his captaincy is easily worth 5 runs per innings I'd say.

No, Miller misses out simply because the quality of the team is so high that I can't fit him in. If anyone were injured however...

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Ponting is largely regarded as the 2nd best batsman since Bradman.
Can't agree with that. Chappell's performance vs the apocalyptic Windies 4-prong pace attack in the West Indiies during WSC where he averaged 68 is some of the greatest batting ever. Thats something Ponting can't come close to unfortunately.

It would probably be worth playing him as an opener over Trumper than dropping him. To drop a batsman I'd probably drop Border, but his captaincy is easily worth 5 runs per innings I'd say.
Border is perfect # 5 i'd say along with S Waugh, Border would be a better # 5 than Ponting. If Ponting is playing for me he either has to bat @ 3 or 4 TBH.

No, Miller misses out simply because the quality of the team is so high that I can't fit him in. If anyone were injured however...
It all depends on personal preference TBF. An AT AUS XI with 6 pure batsmen & just 4 bowlers in Lillee/Lindwall/McGrath/Warne is definately fantastic, without a doubt.

But for me i would always pick Miller since i'd like to have the 5th bowling option just in case. Plus you aren't losing much in the batting having him @ 6 either.

MrIncredible

U19 Cricketer
Also something I just realised, in Benaud's XI he doesn't even put Malcolm Marshall in the candidates, let alone getting picked for the XI.
Actually, if memory serves me correctly he didnt pick a single West Indian paceman for his 1st 2nd or 3rd test XIs, hence y i didnt take ne of his teams seriously. Marshall (atleast) is easily in the top 5 greatest pacemen of all time and i dont think there are 12 bowlers greater/better than Curtly Ambrose.

MrIncredible

U19 Cricketer
Oh yea, that team is so beautiful
yep im so envious. Say we went with cricinfos team:

Trumper
Morris
Bradman
Chappell
Border*
Miller
Gilchrist
Warne
Oreilley
Lillee
Mcgrath

This is my 2nd XI:

Hayden
Ponsford
Ponting
Harvey
S Waugh*
D Jones
I Healy
Lindwall
Davidson
Bill Johnston
C Grimmett

Would be a match for most other All time XIs

MrIncredible

U19 Cricketer
And Lawry, Simpson, D Jones, Benaud, McCabe, Hasset, Martyn, Langer, Boon etc etc TBH oz just has such an embarassment of riches that its almost a coin toss as to who to fit into the first 2nd and even 3rd teams.

MrIncredible

U19 Cricketer
And WI XI (with a twist ie left out obvious names):

Haynes
Fredricks
Weekes
Kanhai
Worrell*
Walcott+
Lloyd
Roberts
Bishop
Gibbs
Walsh

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
yep im so envious. Say we went with cricinfos team:

Trumper
Morris
Bradman
Chappell
Border*
Miller
Gilchrist
Warne
Oreilley
Lillee
Mcgrath

This is my 2nd XI:

Hayden
Ponsford
Ponting
Harvey
S Waugh*
D Jones
I Healy
Lindwall
Davidson
Bill Johnston
C Grimmett

Would be a match for most other All time XIs
Really, Dean Jones ahead of Stan McCabe or Doug Walters? How/why?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
at no.6 mccabe or noble would be much much better than deano. and spofforth belongs in this team. johnson can go join the 3rd XI
Normal O'Neil deserves a mention here too i reckon. Richie Benaud & Bobby Simpson have always been saying for years he was one of the most naturaly talented AUS batsmen since Bradman.

Would be tempted to have Lawry & Langer over Ponsford in the second XI also as openers too.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Okay here is a non Aussie's take on an all time Australian side.

1. Trumper
  2. Morris
  3. Bradman
  4. Chappell
  5. Harvey
  6. Noble
  7. Miller
  8. Davidson
  9. Lindwall
  10. Lillee
  11. Oldfield
  12. O'Reilly
  13. Grimmett

Thats 12. Drop a spinner or a pacer depending on conditions

Sorry about Warne though :)

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Okay here is a non Aussie's take on an all time Australian side.

1. Trumper
  2. Morris
  3. Bradman
  4. Chappell
  5. Harvey
  6. Noble
  7. Miller
  8. Davidson
  9. Lindwall
  10. Lillee
  11. Oldfield
  12. O'Reilly
  13. Grimmett

Thats 12. Drop a spinner or a pacer depending on conditions

Sorry about Warne though :)
No Australian Cricketer from the past 20 years good enough to make a squad of 13? I think that's extremely harsh.