• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official New Zealand Domestic Season Thread 2009/10

Athlai

Not Terrible
And hey Phlegm I know the stags are having a bad day in the park but your attack looks wonderful with Napier and Oram in it. Possibly the best one day attack in the country, coming from the region with traditionally the worst.

Howsie

International Captain
Just come back from Seddon Park and I must say I was pretty impressed with Stewart. I've mentioned him on here a few times as a possible 6-7 for New Zealand but he was brillant today. He started of with a SR of around 80ish and kept it there until he was on around 40-50 and then he just started teeing off, he hit some massive sixes out of the six he hit.

IMO if he keeps this form up and considering how well he's done over the last 2/3 season's he should get a place in the one day and 20/20 teams.

Other players, Rob Nicol batted pretty well for his 80. I didn't think he was the type of player to get after bowlers like he did today but he did, he didn't allow Trent Boult to settle in his first spell.

Trent Boult, ehhh. He looked alright in his second spell but I do remember him being a little more quicker in the past (Maybe he's still not over that stress fracture). He was probably bowling at the same as Arnel I'd guess.

Bruce Martin bowled very well at the start of his spell, he picked up Fulton and Myburgh fairly early. Williamson looks like a really good one day spinner though, from what I saw today he actually looked like a proper off-spinner.

I only watched the first eight overs of ND's chase so I don't really have much too say about our innings, Watling looked good though haha. Wishing I didn't have somewhere to be tonight because this game looks to be heading the full 50 overs for ND.

bryce

International Regular
He must be bowling really well because you would have thought they would have got a good look at him the other day after he cleaned them up in the Plunket Shield, wouldn't be suprised if he was fast tracked into the national T20 side. Great to see Franklin scoring, plus Merchant and Rhodes seem to scoring amazingly consistently.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Rhodes has been a great little find for us, really can't wait to get back to see Wellington in action.

Anderson has his 5fer.

Howsie

International Captain
I'm surprised that:

- He was the 5th change
- He got a stumping

The pace that he was bowling at in the FC game I wouldn't think a keeper would stand up to that tbh. Maybe he's slowed it down a bit for this game.

Anyhow good bowling and woeful batting, wouldn't be surprised to see Williamson get the axe tbh (Which would be stupid IMO but...)

Athlai

Not Terrible
I'm surprised that:

- He was the 5th change
- He got a stumping

The pace that he was bowling at in the FC game I wouldn't think a keeper would stand up to that tbh. Maybe he's slowed it down a bit for this game.

Anyhow good bowling and woeful batting, wouldn't be surprised to see Williamson get the axe tbh (Which would be stupid IMO but...)
The trial of Williamson up the order seems to be failing. Give him a few more though.

Howsie

International Captain
The trial of Williamson up the order seems to be failing. Give him a few more though.
Well tbf it's only his second game batting at three. Probably wasn't best to shove him up the order when he was struggling at five.

Best thing for his future imo however. He's always been a number three so it's probably best he stays there now.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Well tbf it's only his second game batting at three. Probably wasn't best to shove him up the order when he was struggling at five.

Best thing for his future imo however. He's always been a number three so it's probably best he stays there now.
Wasn't he an opener at youth level? Or am I confusing him with some other youngster, maybe Broom or Hay? I'm sure someone was.

Howsie

International Captain
Wasn't he an opener at youth level? Or am I confusing him with some other youngster, maybe Broom or Hay? I'm sure someone was.
Nope. He's always been a number three from quite early on in his career. He debuted for New Zealand under 19's at three and played most of his cricket for them at three (he opened and you were right about this for them in the 2008 world cup but that's because they lost Raval I think.)

Southern Lad

Cricket Spectator
Just a little updaye from the U19 nationals.

New Zealand Cricket - Welcome
Auckland’s Jimmy Neesham staked his claim for a place in the national Under 19 World Cup squad with an unbeaten 116 today – his second century in three days – as his side despatched Wellington in round three of the National Under 19 competition.

Auckland restricted Wellington to 168 for nine in their 50 overs, Tom Blundell top scoring with 56. Auckland made short work of the run chase, reaching the target in the 27th over and losing only one wicket. Neesham was well supported by Michael Barry on 37 not out.

Canterbury remain at the top of the table, just one point clear of Auckland, after taking maximum points in defeating Otago. Canterbury were dismissed on the last ball of their 50 overs having compiled 242, Tom Latham again top scoring with 77. For Otago Blair Soper took five for 48. Otago were unable to challenge the required total, all out in the 45th over for 180.

Central Districts and Northern Districts fought a close tussle, with Northern finishing just seven runs short of Central’s 216. For Central, captain Ben Smith scored 71 and Roald Badenhorst 56. Northern could only reach 209 before running out of overs with two wickets still in hand. Rory Darkins and Scott Kuggelelijn both went close to half centuries.

Canterbury and Auckland are now well ahead of the other four provinces with two rounds of play remaining before the finals. Central overtake Otago to move into third place.

Scorecards:
Central Districts 216 (B Smith 71, R Badenhorst 56; J Walker 4-28, M Thomas 3-28) defeated Northern Districts 209/8(R Darkins 49no, S Kuggeleijn 48, P Boocock 30; R Badenhorst 3/25, B Wheeler 3/31) by 7 runs.

Wellington 168/9 (T Blundell 56; J Drinkall 3/37) lost to Auckland 172/1 in 26.2 overs (J Neesham 116no, M Barry 37*) by nine wickets.

Canterbury 242 49.5 overs (T Latham 77, H Nicholls 63; B Soper 5/48) defeated Otago 180 44.4 overs (M Bracewell 54, D Power 39) by 62 runs.

Points Table (end of Round 3)
Canterbury - 15
Auckland - 14
Central Districts - 7.5
Otago - 4
Wellington - 0
Northern Districts - 0
* CD were penalised for a slow over rate on Day 1.

Download the day three short scorecards and full points table »

Friday 18 December is a rest day

Draw for Round 4, Saturday 19 December:
All games at Te Atatu Park, Auckland

Auckland v Otago
Wellington v Northern Districts
Central Districts v Canterbury
I think it would be safe to say we can write down forum favourite Jimmy Neesham for the national squad. While from an Otago point of view Blair Soper has been bowling quite well and Michael Bracewell has been consistently getting starts but only has one fifty. I still think that these two will be our two reps for the NZ team.

Howsie

International Captain
Richard Sherlock has been spotted, his first game for Auckland today. 2-57 of seven but he did get Neil Broom early who was batting at three.

nz0003

School Boy/Girl Captain
Rhodes looks like a pretty good pick up for us, could be a player for the future.

I thought Brodie would have been able to crack the one day team ahead of Crook, guess he doesn't score quickly enough.

Good too see Franklin scoring some good runs, it'll be interesting to see how he bowls once he's fully fit.

Happy with how Wellington are going, disappointing lost against the Stags in Plunkett Shield though. Any update on Dizzy Gillespie?

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Just come back from Seddon Park and I must say I was pretty impressed with Stewart. I've mentioned him on here a few times as a possible 6-7 for New Zealand but he was brillant today. He started of with a SR of around 80ish and kept it there until he was on around 40-50 and then he just started teeing off, he hit some massive sixes out of the six he hit.
Would you know why James Marshall batted at number ten for ND during their chase?

Howsie

International Captain
He's back playing club cricket I think. He was on the cricket company last week and they showed him getting through a few overs of medium pace. I think he said he'll be back for the 20/20's.