• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Goodbye Herschie

jboss

Banned
Sport - Error

Gonna miss him :( Who can ever forget 438 and his fielding. Also gonna miss hearing his ever so loud chirps! I remember hearing him through stump mic yelling :"You bloody guys(refereing to the batsman) must f off here now"!

Last edited:

Matt79

Global Moderator
No doubt Graeme Smith was mortified. :dry:

As you say brilliant fielder as well, although I've noticed that sometimes he tries to throw the ball up before he completes the catch.

Hope he enjoys retirement, maybe can travel and see the world - besides India that is.

Aussie-Saffie baiting aside, an amazing player when he got going. Could strike a ball from anywhere to anywhere it seemed sometimes - and hit the cover off it.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Disappointing end indeed. One of the best timers of the cricket ball, and perhaps the best timer in South Africa. I am going to miss his batting.

A tremendous batsman especially in ODIs. He probably underachieved overall but a fantastic career nonetheless. I am going to miss his batting.

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
I think his form was affected by what happened off the field. He certainly had the potential to be one of the best openers for SA in all formats. Gibbs from 2001-2005 was unstoppable.

Last edited:

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'll remember him for 'forgetting' to fix a game for Hansie Cronje; having to go out and score single figures and actually compiling a decent half century (as I recall). What a guy!

Actually one batsman of recent times that I have quite enjoyed watching. A shame to see him go.

You think South Africa should pick him for a Test series just as a send-off? They're not playing Zimbabwe here.
They should have picked him for the ODI series if not for the tests. But anyway I don't think Gibbs is a liability in the test side. With Kallis out, he would have brought the much needed experience.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They should have picked him for the ODI series if not for the tests. But anyway I don't think Gibbs is a liability in the test side. With Kallis out, he would have brought the much needed experience.
But he's not good enough to be picked anymore, in any form. There's a reason why he hasn't played a Test in a year and a half. Precisely because he is a liability. Was quality in his prime, but hasn't been good enough for some time now.

But he's not good enough to be picked anymore, in any form. There's a reason why he hasn't played a Test in a year and a half. Precisely because he is a liability. Was quality in his prime, but hasn't been good enough for some time now.
Yes, he hasn't been in great form. But he should have been given a chance to leave in a blaze of glory. He has been one of South Africa's better batsmen over the years and who knows, the prospect of playing his last series might have spurred him to perform well.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Yes, he hasn't been in great form. But he should have been given a chance to leave in a blaze of glory. He has been one of South Africa's better batsmen over the years and who knows, the prospect of playing his last series might have spurred him to perform well.
I just don't think South Africa can afford that, no less against a team of England's calibre...even in ODI cricket. The sentiment is nice, but not in the best interest of the team.

Flem274*

123/5
Sad too see him leave with a whimpering decline after terrorising test attacks around the globe. Top notch player.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
He was great to watch in full flow. Besides, I dont remember a single other batsman in all these decades who surprised me so many time by getting out so suddenly when right on top of the bowling.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Herschelle Gibbs has to be a player whose talent is more overstated than virtually anyone. Virtually never scored any significant runs in Tests or ODIs against particularly good bowling attacks, had obvious flaws in his game that persisted all career, and got worked-out on a number of occasions. Would've been much better-off if no-one had attempted to manufacture him into an opener too - wasn't suited to that role at all.

Sure he was phenomenal, and phenomenal to watch, against moderate bowling on a flat deck (whether or not he was opening). And sure he was about as good a fielder as you could wish to see. But he never was and was never going to be all that good a batsman in my book. But for the flattening-out of decks and easing-off in quality of bowling of 2001/02 onwards, I doubt he'd have played 30 Tests, quota beneficiary or not.

Zinzan

Herschelle Gibbs has to be a player whose talent is more overstated than virtually anyone. Virtually never scored any significant runs in Tests or ODIs against particularly good bowling attacks
Really ? Never really studied his career, must have a look

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
He's 'coloured' though. Probably would've played 30+ tests on that alone. :p
If you look at the last line in my post, I did mention that. Much as South Africa are in the business of shooting themselves in the foot with quota picks, they're not yet damaging their prospects by persisting with the same non-white players for an eternity despite poor performance. Usually they've just tended to move on to the next quota-fitting player.

What's more, of course, there is sufficient non-white talent these days to make fitting the quotas not extraordinarily difficult. And in any case policy has once more been shifted in recent years.