• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia's Best T20 XI

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Well this team is being picked with T20 WC next year in mind. But unfortunately due to poor scheduling not enough international practise will be avaliable. Plus the dumb selectors have already made Clarke captain.

I personally also am disappointed Ponting retired tbh, i would have hoped he would have played until the T20 WC at least, then give up this format, since i still believe he could offer alot as batsman.

Anyway Best XI & squad (without Clarke):

Marsh
Warner
Watson
White
Haddin
D Hussey
M Hussey
Johnson
Lee
Haurtiz
Nannes

Back-ups:

Hodge
Voges - I am not convinced about him really given i have seen him much, but with no Feguson - no one else to pick. The IND ODI series will tell me more.
Henriques
Siddle

Hughes can break into this squad ahead of one of Marsh or Warner as well, but its still early days. So too Tait if he has solid domestic season OD season in AUS. Already missing the big man Symonds...

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Indeed, absolutely no question about Hodge. Would rather have Watson opening too, really.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yep, AWTA. Drop Marsh for Hodge and Hauritz for Krejza and that's a pretty decent line-up. Siddle should be nowhere near the T20 side, in my view.

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Hodge should be in the best XI easily.

andyc said:
Indeed, absolutely no question about Hodge. Would rather have Watson opening too, really.
Yea i got no issue with Hodge playing. Yesterday when i had this squad in my head i picked him, so i dunno. I guess you could take out M Hussey given his hitting ability seems to be decreasing a bit.

On Watson, well one of his best traits is his versatility as batsman. After all when he player of the tournament in the first IPL he was batting in the middle.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Yep, AWTA. Drop Marsh for Hodge and Hauritz for Krejza and that's a pretty decent line-up. Siddle should be nowhere near the T20 side, in my view.
Yea i dont like Hauritz for T20s really would love to replace him. I see you guys saying Krejza is gaining some variation in his bowling this season, so lets see how he goes. But at the end of the day in the West Indies i think given those small grounds chosen in Barbados, Guyana & St.Lucia - spin could be slaughtered.

No issue with Siddle as a T20 bowler TBH, he is pretty difficult bowler to hit. So far in the CL batsmen have been able to line him up, since he doesn't bowl lenght balls.

inbox24

International Debutant
Watson
Haddin
Hodge
White
Hussey
Hussey
Ferguson
Johnson
Hauritz
Lee
Nannes

Warner as reserve bat. Edit: Hilfenhaus, Hughes as reserves too.
Marsh to retire from cricket.

Last edited:

jondavluc

State Regular
Shaun Marsh
David Warner
Shane Watson
David Hussey
Cameron White (c)
Micheal Hussey
Brad Haddin (k) (vc)
Mitchill Johnson
Brett Lee
Nathan Hauritz
Dirk Nannes

Shaun Tait
Ben Hifenhaus
Phillip Hughes
Brad Hodge

Last edited:

OffCutters

Cricket Spectator
I`d go with this:

Watson
Warner
Hodge
Clarke
M.Hussey
D.Hussey
T.Paine
M.Johnson
N.Hauritz
B.Lee
D.Nannes

Sylvester

State Captain
Ideally I would go

Warner
Hughes
Hodge
David Hussey/Clarke
White
Watson
Haddin
Johnson
Lee
Hauritz
Nannes

But Clarke is captain so never going to happen, so Clarke in for David Hussey.

Sylvester

State Captain
I haven't seen him but if you want a spinner from Tassie it would be Krejza for this format. He had the best economy in the Big Bash last season and took 7 wickets.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I haven't seen him but if you want a spinner from Tassie it would be Krejza for this format. He had the best economy in the Big Bash last season and took 7 wickets.
Yea but he would if he maintains that form this domestic season would challenge Hauritz, since they are both offies. The reason i brought broguht up Doherty is given the possibility AUS may take 2 spinners to the WC, his left-arm spin add nice variety, if those who have seen him of late think he is international T20 quality.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
For those who have seen Doherty, anyone think he would make sense in this format?.
I don't really rate him much at all tbh and his T20 stats are actually pretty awful - he averages 50 and goes at 9rpo. I'd even rather have Heal.

FBU

International Debutant
Warner
Haddin
Watson
Katich (c)
M Hussey
Henriques
White
Johnson
Lee
Hauritz
Nannes

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Because Doherty bowls reasonably flat and quick, people think that he'll be suited to Twenty20. But often it's the guys who take the pace off the ball who do well, like Ojha, Krezja and Claude Henderson.

Sylvester

State Captain
Yea but he would if he maintains that form this domestic season would challenge Hauritz, since they are both offies. The reason i brought broguht up Doherty is given the possibility AUS may take 2 spinners to the WC, his left-arm spin add nice variety, if those who have seen him of late think he is international T20 quality.
He probably should be next in line for the ODI spot although Heal had a decent season and provided some handy late order hitting for WA. But for T20s I'm of the belief that you need to perform in that form to be selected. If he performs in the Big Bash his name might get a mention but he will need to perform first.