• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

** Official Cricketweb Horseracing thread **

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Sea The Stars is a far superior "racehorse" to Red Rum. To compare a flat horse to jumps horses is spurious. Jumpers are often failed flat horses (at least in NZ) - only in the UK are they held up as some kind of mythical equine gods.

And yeah, looking forward to the Spring Carnival - I have a big multi running through Kirklees in the Caulfield Cup - hopefully he's free of that fever which caused him to miss a couple of days of trackwork when he arrived in Aussie.

Last edited:

cover drive man

International Captain
Sea The Stars is a far superior "racehorse" to Red Rum. To compare a flat horse to jumps horses is spurious. Jumpers are often failed flat horses (at least in NZ) - only in the UK are they held up as some kind of mythical equine gods.
Why's that?

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Yep, but who are the glamour runners? Usain Bolt, or some Kenyan who wins the steeplechase? Considering I can't name any current steeplechase runners (John Ngugi from last 80s/early 90s is all I can remember), there's your answer.

cover drive man

International Captain
Yep, but who are the glamour runners? Usain Bolt, or some Kenyan who wins the steeplechase? Considering I can't name any current steeplechase runners (John Ngugi from last 80s/early 90s is all I can remember), there's your answer.
Just because everyone knows hundred metre sprint champions doesn't mean they are better athletes.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
The mere fact that they're failed flat runners in the first place tells me they're inferior athletes. Sure, some horses are solely set for the steeples and their stamina is admirable, but that's about as much credit as I'll give them.

cover drive man

International Captain
The mere fact that they're failed flat runners in the first place tells me they're inferior athletes. Sure, some horses are solely set for the steeples and their stamina is admirable, but that's about as much credit as I'll give them.
What if they put flat horses in jumping races?

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
This is like pulling teeth, CDM. Why would they put flat horses in jumping races? There's much more money in the flat racing world if you have a good horse.

So when you say "what if they put flat horses in jumping races?" - I'm not sure how I'm meant to respond. What if they did?

cover drive man

International Captain
This is like pulling teeth, CDM. Why would they put flat horses in jumping races? There's much more money in the flat racing world if you have a good horse.

So when you say "what if they put flat horses in jumping races?" - I'm not sure how I'm meant to respond. What if they did?
Fair enough, I was just asking. Obviously I don't know as much about horse racing as you do and I wasn't trying to annoy you.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
I'll be on Efficient again in the Cox Plate.

That's a big call...

No doubt he is going great, but at Mooney Valley he won't be able to wind up down the straight like he can do at Flemington...

IMO their is only 2 real good chances in the Cox Plate and both are trained by Mark Kavanagh...

Maldivian will most likely roll to the front and if he gets an easy lead will be very very hard to run down. The other is Whobegotyou, who LOVES the valley and if there is any speed on he will be storming home...

One to watch on Wednesday in the Thousand Guineas is Sister Madly, a half sister to Hong Kong star Silent Witness, and has been rolling along nicely coming into this, Questions have to be asked over the favourite Irish Lights and the quality she has faced to date, whereas Sister Madly has been running good races against the best horses in Sydney despite being in her first prep.

As for the Caufield Cup, well its an open race imo, The draw will play a huge part in how the race pans out, but if Speed Gifted is in the field and gets a good draw my money will be on it, I think the way it won the Metrop at only its 4th Australian start was super impressive, although Allez Wonder looks like another one of Cummings perfectly timed runners to keep an eye on...

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, agreed - Whobe didn't have all favours in the Yalumba and still found the required turn of foot over a short period of time. Also, he proved the 2000 (or so) of the Cox Plate won't be an issue. Big bully around Viewed in Melbourne for the Cup - apparently he's 3-4 lengths better than he was last year...

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I was very confident about Tell A Tale in races like the Toorak and Caulfield Cup this spring, but he was woeful in his two races in NZ and has since disappeared. Shows how much I know.

Wouldn't rule out Daffodil next weekend though. Didn't get a run until it was too late in the Kelt.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Well Big Mal is out for the spring, so for me that makes Whobegotyou a moral for the cox plate..

Also the Caufield Cup field is out... No Speed Gifted.. Will have to sift through the form and see what i think is the best there now..

I do like Viewed but with the weight pull compared to Allez wonder im not sure... Also very wary of Kirklees, i think Godolphin are starting to work things out here in Australia now..

Bobisback

International Regular
Backed Viewed in the cup. I think the length (or lack there of) of the straight will kill his chances though. If he can get close enough coming to the straight, he will be there or there abouts. I dont see Cummings walking away with this race without a pocket full of cash though.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Im on Cima de Triomphe and Light Vision...

CdT is one of only a few horses to ever come to our shores on the back of top class WFA form over in Europe, and 2 starts back ran 4th whislt giving away 5 kgs to one of the greatest Horses in the world today (See the Stars). If he can run a strong 2400m then i am very confident he can win, Especially with Oli on board.

Whilst Light Vision at $21 (when i got on) was a steal, this bloke will feel like he's running with nothing on his back, he has not carried a weight like 52.5kgs for almost 2 years, and has been up around the 58-60kg mark for most of his runs... He will place himself on pace and will be very very hard to run down...