• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

****OFFICIAL**** Lara vs Tendulkar Debate Thread

subshakerz

International Coach
Word, Lara was just as good vs Tendy againts pace. Its just given his inferior technique which McGrath exposed, he wasn't as consistent againts them especially away from home.
You realize that McGrath has been pretty much as successful against Tendulkar as he has against Lara? He dismissed Lara 15 times in 24 tests, and Tendulkar 6 times in 10 tests.

Pigeon

Banned
U mean either Walsh or Ambrose. Sorry to nit pick but Ambrose didnt play the 94 series in India. Cuffy, Cummins and Benjamin did. Ambrose played in the 97 series (as did a fadin Bishop) granted Tendy did very well but to assume Lara wouldnt have done just as well (particularly in the WI) is just way off base
As I said above, I agree I put the wrong search string. But still Tendulkar avg 56 against both of them in WI.

Lara avg 26 as I said above in WI against Ambrose.:)

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
In FC matches against Curtly Ambrose, Lara averaged 26.3 in 10 innings. :)
I really dont think FC matches should be relevant. Lara was a WI player for 16 years non-stop, so highly likely many of those FC matches where hardly played with much intensity. It could have been early season warm-up just before a tour/home series or end season after the end of a home series.

Lara got double hundreds againts McGrath a bowler similar to Ambi. So it doesn't matter.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Overall in all series vs 95 to 2005/06. I'd say McGrath won more contest TBF.

WI 95 - McGrath won for sure
AUS 96/97 - McGrath won most battles. Lara scored a hundred in the dead rubber 5th test
WI 99 - Even
AUS 2000 - McGrath
WI 2003 - McGrath was out of form, so this shouldn't be considered.
AUS 05/06 - Hmm it was a riveting battle. Lara got some bad decisions etc. But Lara wasn't dominant vs McGrath in the 1st two test. So i'll call it even here as well.

Plus he not so prolific runs vs PAK/SA in those countries. Not scoring a hundred againts Donald/Pollock - Wasim/Waqar.
Not so sure it's fair to say McGrath was out of form in 2003 when Lara clearly was towards the end of the 90s too.

For interest's sake: Lara averages 46.38 in matches with McGrath.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Not so sure it's fair to say McGrath was out of form in 2003 when Lara clearly was towards the end of the 90s too.

For interest's sake: Lara averages 46.38 in matches with McGrath.
wonder what is the corresponding figure for Sachin..

Pigeon

Banned
I really dont think FC matches should be relevant. Lara was a WI player for 16 years non-stop, so highly likely many of those FC matches where hardly played with much intensity. It could have been early season warm-up just before a tour/home series or end season after the end of a home series.

Lara got double hundreds againts McGrath a bowler similar to Ambi. So it doesn't matter.
Haha, McGrath is hardly similar to Ambrose, except that both of them were accurate. Ambrose relied on his bounce and was more quicker than McGrath.

FC matches indeed matter, because, 4 of those 5 matches were played before 94, when Lara really came good. So these matches were hardly "practise games".

MrIncredible

U19 Cricketer
Overall in all series vs 95 to 2005/06. I'd say McGrath won more contest TBF.

WI 95 - McGrath won for sure
AUS 96/97 - McGrath won most battles. Lara scored a hundred in the dead rubber 5th test
WI 99 - Even
AUS 2000 - McGrath
WI 2003 - McGrath was out of form, so this shouldn't be considered.
AUS 05/06 - Hmm it was a riveting battle. Lara got some bad decisions etc. But Lara wasn't dominant vs McGrath in the 1st two test. So i'll call it even here as well.

Plus he not so prolific runs vs PAK/SA in those countries. Not scoring a hundred againts Donald/Pollock - Wasim/Waqar.
95 even
96/97 Mcgrath
99 Lara (are u kidding)
00 Mcgrath
03 not considered for reasons u stated
05 Lara considering the shockers he got.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
TBF, FC matches have to be looked at closely. Once players establish themselves at Test level they kinda don't give a tit about the domestic competition.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
that's interesting...

I specifically remember a guy who WATCHED Lara destroy Ambrose and a couple of other bowlers to score 189 in a FC game in the cricinfo article... wonder which is right?

Statsguru is not available for FC games too. :(

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Precambrian is right here.

I quote sideshowtim from another thread -

sideshowtim said:
Let's do the same for Lara when it comes to Walsh and Ambrose. Ponting played 9 Tests against attacks containing either/or for an average of 40. Not magnificent, but respectable, and there is indeed a century amongst it, so there is further evidence of performing against quality opposition. Walsh dismissed him 4 times in these 9 Tests, so it's probably fair to say he troubled Ponting. However, Lara seemed to struggle against attacks containing Ambrose as evidenced by him failing to reach triple figures once against Leeward Islands in 5 matches with Ambrose in them only averaging 26.3. Lara however did very well against attacks containing Walsh with Jamaica scoring runs at an average of 54 in 7 matches. I'd call this one even.

Pigeon

Banned
that's interesting...

I specifically remember a guy who WATCHED Lara destroy Ambrose and a couple of other bowlers to score 189 in a FC game in the cricinfo article... wonder which is right?

Statsguru is not available for FC games too. :(
I don't know if they faced off in the county championship. I considered only WI FC games. :)

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Cricket Archive

The list of scores are as follows (all against Leeward Isles)

Code:
Season	 Score 
87/88	 14 
87/88	 22 
89/90	 27 
89/90	 15 
90/91	 7 
90/91	 71 
93/94	 2 
93/94	 84 
97/98	 20 
97/98	 1 
TOTAL	 263 
Avg	 26.30
how did u get the list? I tried both player and scorecard oracle and it is telling no matches found.

subshakerz

International Coach
Agreed. And vs Donald as well. Im a huge Lara fan but i would be lying to u if i didnt admit that he got exposed in the 98 series away in RSA. Vs spin though i would give lara the edge though, if for nothing else his total domination of Murali home and away.
Yes, even though I feel Lara was a better batsman overall I would consider Tendulkar to be more solid against sheer pace. They both ended up with similar figures against the best pacers though. Against spin, Lara is slightly better IMO.

Few worldclass batsmen are completely comfortable against express pace. Some, like Yousuf and Hayden, are reduced to sheer bunnies, while Ponting, Lara, and Tendulkar were merely good/decent. Guys like Steve Waugh, Chappell and Viv would top my list of batsmen best against fast bowling.

Last edited: