• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Rugby Thread

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
O'Connor had an absolute 'mare, don't think I've seen as poor a performance from an Australian back for some time. He was almost as bad as Dan Crowley (I think it's Dan Crowley anyway, the one that Isn't Tim Horan) in the comm box, who is deadset worse than Ian Healy when it comes to cheerleading. What makes it more annoying, is that I'm still trying to learn about the game, but I'm not sure if what he's saying actually has an element of truth to it, or if it's just his rose-tinted glasses doing the talking.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
O'Connor had an absolute 'mare, don't think I've seen as poor a performance from an Australian back for some time. He was almost as bad as Dan Crowley (I think it's Dan Crowley anyway, the one that Isn't Tim Horan) in the comm box, who is deadset worse than Ian Healy when it comes to cheerleading. What makes it more annoying, is that I'm still trying to learn about the game, but I'm not sure if what he's saying actually has an element of truth to it, or if it's just his rose-tinted glasses doing the talking.
Greg Martin, perhaps? Depends what feed you're getting. Phil Kearns is the other comments man for Fox.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Ban round up

Seems to be something in the air. Both reports from The Guardian:

Justin "The Plank" Harrison gets 8 months for cocaine usage.

Harlequins' Tom Williams gets 12 months for feigning injury.

Not sure which is worse, really. Charlie or blatant cheating. I suppose, in the case of Williams, there's some justice in that Nick Evans missed the kick he was presumably brought back on to take and they lost the tie.

Given Plank's guilty plea it looks bad for the other 3 Bath (or ex-Bath) players who refused the drugs tests because, frankly, I'm not sure I agree with the RFU that he's not trying to protect his team-mates.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Seems to be something in the air. Both reports from The Guardian:

Justin "The Plank" Harrison gets 8 months for cocaine usage.

Harlequins' Tom Williams gets 12 months for feigning injury.

Not sure which is worse, really. Charlie or blatant cheating. I suppose, in the case of Williams, there's some justice in that Nick Evans missed the kick he was presumably brought back on to take and they lost the tie.

Given Plank's guilty plea it looks bad for the other 3 Bath (or ex-Bath) players who refused the drugs tests because, frankly, I'm not sure I agree with the RFU that he's not trying to protect his team-mates.
Incredibly harsh on Williams - surely he was only operating on the instructions of his coaching staff. Dean Richards should be stood down from coaching for 6 months, IMO.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Incredibly harsh on Williams - surely he was only operating on the instructions of his coaching staff. Dean Richards should be stood down from coaching for 6 months, IMO.
Would agree about Richards copping a ban too. It's stretching credulity too far to suggest Williams acted alone, but he was at least complicit and, for whatever reason, has decided to take the fall alone, so I don't have a problem with 12 months provided it's now the precedent for the offence.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Would agree about Richards copping a ban too. It's stretching credulity too far to suggest Williams acted alone, but he was at least complicit and, for whatever reason, has decided to take the fall alone, so I don't have a problem with 12 months provided it's now the precedent for the offence.
Bit bizarre that you get 10-15 times more of a ban that for gouging, as the Guardian mentions (even though they struggle with the spelling of Saffie names).

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Bit bizarre that you get 10-15 times more of a ban that for gouging, as the Guardian mentions (even though they struggle with the spelling of Saffie names).
There is that yes and I nearly mentioned dear dirty old Schalk in my post. It does seem wrong that a grubby little bit of cheating is seen as quite so much worse than a deliberate attempt to injure a fellow player, but for his ban to be used as a guide is entering the "two wrongs making a right" realm, IMHO.

Prefer to think they got it wrong in his case, but right in Williams's. However, would imagine a reduction on appeal is inevitable, tbh.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Williams wink probably got him an extra 11 months.

Richards should be sacked (that is before you factor this in).

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Good win by the Boks and they would have stuck 40 on the All Blacks if Pienaar could kick. Only area concern was the defence, Smith should have never scored.

As for New Zealand, Neemia Tialata maybe 130kg but he plays like a Jessie. His useless, as was/is there line-out.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Was surprised and pleased New Zealand could stay in the game for so long on Sunday morning, until Fourie's try with just under 10 minutes to play. Certainly was a struggle, and if Pienaar had been able to convert a few handy kicks at goal South Africa would've won by 13+ comfortably.

Thought Conrad Smith was brilliant though and his try was exceptional. Jerome Kaino again the standout in the forwards IMO for New Zealand. Leonard and Tialata both massively weak links and it'd be a major surprise if either started next week. Thought Leonard getting caught for incorrect feeds - which was absolutely the right call from referee - was ironic in that I can barely remember one being called in the Super 14 for plenty of feeds basically straight into the second row.

ripper868

International Coach
Fair upgrade on Tahu, you'd have to say.
No doubt in that at all. The reds right up the crapper now though, the main man in the back line will be Cooper with Ioane (if he resigns and is fit) outside him. Hynes is there at 15 as well which helps. If barnes had of stayed though the reds could have been on their way to building something special again, sadly his move will no doubt see other "star" players of the reds also leave the team. I know there's no such thing as loyalty anymore but the reds helped develop Barnes into the player he is now, and for him to walk away after 4 months of "yeah I'm staying if you do this for me" and then to just walk out...gets my goat a little.

ripper868

International Coach
Follow the money, clearly.

As do the IRB. England, then Japan to host 2015 and 2019.
Fair enough IMO.

If they follow the same pattern it'd likely be back to europe again in 2023, though frankly i'd like to see either South Africa or Australia have it again. Australia obviously with upgraded stadiums having hosted 2022 (and the saffies with 2010 round the corner).