• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Simon Katich

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Seriuosly I could coversely argue that there is always an avenue for a batsman to safely negotiate, even punish every single conceivable delivery any batsman could possibly throw at him
Only by being able to pathmap the future.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Poor Simon Katich doesn't deserve this debate.

Richard, can a goal keeper be too good for a striker in football? Judging by your logic no, he can't.

It's all well and good when you are one bowling to think like you do, but only an ineducated follower of the sport would subscribe to your general theory.

Last edited:

pup11

International Coach
From all of what I have seen of Katman as an opener, I think he is at his most tentative, when the ball is new, and doing something, either off the pitch, or in the air, a lot of bowlers see Katich shuffling around in front of the stumps, and think of him as a prime lbw candidate, but that's not really the case.

He has real problems when people bowl, just ouside the off-stump or thereabout, and if the English bowlers get the new ball to move, while maintaing that line, then Katich could be in lot trouble, but if Katman sees off the new ball, then he very rarely throws away the start he gets, so Katich' success on this tour really depends on how he counters the moving ball, because last time around, he was all over the place against the reverse swinging ball.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
From all of what I have seen of Katman as an opener, I think he is at his most tentative, when the ball is new, and doing something, either off the pitch, or in the air, a lot of bowlers see Katich shuffling around in front of the stumps, and think of him as a prime lbw candidate, but that's not really the case.

He has real problems when people bowl, just ouside the off-stump or thereabout, and if the English bowlers get the new ball to move, while maintaing that line, then Katich could be in lot trouble, but if Katman sees off the new ball, then he very rarely throws away the start he gets, so Katich' success on this tour really depends on how he counters the moving ball, because last time around, he was all over the place against the reverse swinging ball.
Perfect assessment. Unsurprising that a cricketer who has spent the majority of his career as a middle order batsman, suddenly finds it difficult as an opening batsman to face the new ball.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Katich's record before opening the batting;

23 Tests, 2 100's, averaging 36

Katich's record since being recalled as opener;

15 Tests, 5 100's, averaging 53.42

Yup, clearly struggling.

Burgey

Yup, clearly struggling.
Yeah but the pitches he plays on now compared with 2 years ago are clearly all flat; all the good bowlers have retired; he's got a better bat.......

You know how it goes mate.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Include that he is dropped by the fieldsman on average more times. Thus rendering his batting average meaningless.

Top_Cat

Include that he is dropped by the fielder on average more times. Thus rendering his batting average meaningless.
Let's not discount the El Nino effect in play here. It'd drop his average by, oh, 15 runs at least*.

*Figures extracted from rectum.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
England should definitely have a fourth slip and a gully in all the time when Katich is in and a pace bowler is bowling with a new ball.

Last edited:

pup11

International Coach

Yup, clearly struggling.
No, he is definitely not struggling, all I am saying is, he might struggle if the ball swings and the English bowlers persist with a good line, so far whenever he has had to open the innings in such conditions, he has been good enough to see off that period, and then come into his own when the ball gets a bit older, if he continues this trend during the Ashes, then there is no reason why he won't do well in this series.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

I actually think, to a degree, that the opposite is true

Katich was rarely troubled by the new ball against Steyn (a genuine swinger of the ball) & co but threw away a stack of starts

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

Yup, clearly struggling.
That, of course, doesn't say anything much about Katich being better or worse as a opener. He was recalled when in the form of his life and appears still to be. Could perfectly easily be one as the other.

Either way, Katich is on record as saying that his preferred batting position is three, but that he'd rather open than bat six.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Poor Simon Katich doesn't deserve this debate.
:huh: What a bizarre thing to say. This thread isn't a shrine.
Richard, can a goal keeper be too good for a striker in football? Judging by your logic no, he can't.
Of course he can't. I'm a goalkeeper myself, same way I'm a bowler - there are times when a shot gives you no chance whatsoever of stopping it. Some shots, or other situations, no goalkeeper, however good, can do anything to stop the ball hitting the back of the net.

It's an almost exactly analogous situation, the only difference being that in football the ball is always in play (except when it's out of play) whereas in cricket play comes in distinctly defined packets and for most of the time the ball is dead. It's always the same pattern in each packet: bowler bowls, batsman either plays a stroke or leaves, fielder (most often wicketkeeper) fields. In football there's no such definition, it's all completely random and there's no repeated pattern.
It's all well and good when you are one bowling to think like you do, but only an ineducated follower of the sport would subscribe to your general theory.
No, only an ineducated follower of the sport wouldn't subscribe. It's so basic that you'd have to be under-simplifying things to think otherwise.

Last edited:

pup11

International Coach
I actually think, to a degree, that the opposite is true

Katich was rarely troubled by the new ball against Steyn (a genuine swinger of the ball) & co but threw away a stack of starts
Steyn really didn't really bowl in areas that troubles Katich, he was in general bowling at the stumps to Katich, and he was playing him with ease through the on-side, as for Katich throwing away starts, its really in the series against RSA in Australia, that he was guilty of this, and he did rectify this problem to some extent in the return leg of the South African series.

Katich's record as an opener is for all to see, he has made most of his starts, his conversion rate has improved, he is turning his 50's into 100's a lot more consistently, and in general on the occasions that he has failed, he has got out early, which is always a good sign for any batsman.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Steyn really didn't really bowl in area that troubles Katich
Steyn rarely bowls in the areas that trouble any LHBs. For someone so deadly against RHBs, it's remarkable how poor he often is when the batsman faces the other way.