• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Welcome to the Mathew Sinclair Live Chat - 22nd June 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mathew Sinclair

International Cricketer
Evening Mat,

Quite often at Test/ODI/T20 level the NZ batsmen have struggled against real geniune pace (like Shaun Tait, Mohammad Sami, Brett Lee etc.), why is that? Is that down to lack of real geniune fast bowlers (like over 145km/h) on the NZ domestic scene? Mind you Shane Bond when he was at his fastest ran through teams in ODIs for fun as well.
yeh i think so we dont to be honest have the playing numbers here in nz and our stocks of fast bowlers is getting better in my opinion provided they dont get injured.. we here in nz have relyed on dibbly dooblies i call them due to the nature of our wickets tghat is changing now because the wickets are getting flatter and bowlers of this slow medium pace nature working harder for there wickets

Gilly Fan

U19 12th Man
Hey, Matt.

Who's the best batsman you've player with and for. And what did the crowd say to you before you took that amazing catch in Melbourne a couple of years back?

Howsie

International Captain
Matt

Who is New Zealand's best young up and coming bowler.

Would Trent Boult be high up on you're list :)

brockley

International Captain
Matt would like a kiwi and canberra side in the big bash.
BYW 4 nz played for canberra comets whats the deal there,is their a connection between new zealand and canberra?

Mathew Sinclair

International Cricketer
Any chance of a nz team playing in the aussie domestic big bash and aussie future comps?
never i cant see that happening but i do see 2020 been played here in nz and aussie in some sort of chalenge competition for domestic first class teams

hi Matt,

its great to see you back here.

Why do you think The Blackcaps have been performing so badly lately? I personally think its about time for some heads to roll

Cheers
hard to know mate performance is a hard one to pinpoint obviously when we arent winning thats when questions want to be answered,give it some time we are a very young and up and coming team with very little experience and we have a long way to go yet

Do NZ FC cricketers earn enough in the summer to support them and their family through the rest of the year comfortably? I ask this to understand the professionalism with which they approach cricket
good question we do in the summer but you tend to find cricketers head off overseas as we are not paid fulltime for the whole year like other countrys so we have to head overseas and earn over there..i reckon when and if nz cricket start employing a fulltime contract of first class players we will get so much better.cheers

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Mat,

Thank for your reply.

I'd also like to ask you about two Central batsmen - Greg Hay and Brad Patton.

Hay has an excellent record as a young batsman in all forms of the game, particularly given the typically bowler-friendly nature of New Zealand domestic cricket, but he had limited opportunities last season. Is there a feeling within the Stags camp that he has something particular to work on before he's ready for regular First Class cricket, or was it a simple matter of him being slightly down on form and confidence? There have been murmours around that he struggles in tough batting conditions and has his record slightly inflated by the flatter Napier wicket - is there any truth to this?

Patton's a really interesting one. Unless I'm much mistaken, he was more known as a medium pacer in his youth, but his batting has really come on later in his cricketing life.. as he showed last season. I'm yet to really get this confirmed though and there's precious little information available about him anywhere, so anything you could tell us about him at all would be absolutely fantastic. I'm always fascinated by the late bloomer.

Mathew Sinclair

International Cricketer
Hey, Matt.

Who's the best batsman you've player with and for. And what did the crowd say to you before you took that amazing catch in Melbourne a couple of years back?
i have always enjoyed batting with steven fleming a real calming influence and a top bloke who i would consider a good friend..read my latest response to this question on my catch

Gilly_da_gr8

Cricket Spectator
Mat,

Dan is the only man for spin attack? Jeetan just shows his head in a few games and disappear again.

As NZ pitch doesn't suit much for Spinners, Why doesn't Jeetan form a permenant playing XI member in the overseas squad?

Is the NZ board not encouraging spinners as their pitches doesn't suit the spinners?

We have seen many medium pacers from NZ but, not the spinners.

Will there be any future improvement in the Spinning attack?

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Hi Mathew,

During the radio cricket coverage here in Australia last summer, Damien Fleming made mention of the Australian side decided to target you on their tour of NZ in 1999/00. How severe and personalised was it, and have you gone through anything like that in your cricket career since?

Mathew Sinclair

International Cricketer
Matt

Who is New Zealand's best young up and coming bowler.

Would Trent Boult be high up on you're list :)
yeh give him a bit of time he needs to be nurtured the right way with some good people around him and doing lots of bowling at quality batsman to up skill him quickly

Mathew Sinclair

International Cricketer
Matt would like a kiwi and canberra side in the big bash.
BYW 4 nz played for canberra comets whats the deal there,is their a connection between new zealand and canberra?
only connection i am aware of is ashley ross who is one of the coaches out that way who used to coach the black caps and was national development officer for nz cricket

The Legend

Cricket Spectator
Hello Matt,

Thanks for your time.

My question is,

Daniel Vettori is a hard working bowler and captain, who do you think is a better captain? Daniel Vettori or Stephan Fleming?

Thanks a lot :)

Mathew Sinclair

International Cricketer
Mat,

Thank for your reply.

I'd also like to ask you about two Central batsmen - Greg Hay and Brad Patton.

Hay has an excellent record as a young batsman in all forms of the game, particularly given the typically bowler-friendly nature of New Zealand domestic cricket, but he had limited opportunities last season. Is there a feeling within the Stags camp that he has something particular to work on before he's ready for regular First Class cricket, or was it a simple matter of him being slightly down on form and confidence? There have been murmours around that he struggles in tough batting conditions and has his record slightly inflated by the flatter Napier wicket - is there any truth to this?

Patton's a really interesting one. Unless I'm much mistaken, he was more known as a medium pacer in his youth, but his batting has really come on later in his cricketing life.. as he showed last season. I'm yet to really get this confirmed though and there's precious little information available about him anywhere, so anything you could tell us about him at all would be absolutely fantastic. I'm always fascinated by the late bloomer.
both very good players for the stags and we can see they will only get better hay was a lack of confidence/form for his season and paton really came onto the scene because of fantastic early season camp form and deservidly got his call up, and performed really well needs to work on a couple of things to progress through but had a good year and can get better

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Hey mate,

You mention Stephen Fleming before, and a lot of cricketting pundits and fans alike rate him as one of the finest captains of the modern era. In your opinion, what is it that made Fleming such a highly regarded captain even when the team didn't necessarily have the world beating record to show for it?

Gilly Fan

U19 12th Man
What do you do during rain delays in matches? I know that the Aussie team play cards. What do the kiwis do in delays?

Status
Not open for further replies.