• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2008-2009

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Surprising, but i guess its a wise choice from Barry. Going to Liverpool does not guarantee first team football which is key in WC year, he wont want to loose his place to Carrick of Hargreaves in the Capello side.

Plus not sure if Villa will be able to maintain their performances next season. City, Spurs & Everton are likely to push Arsenal for a top 4 place.

On Milan...if Kaka does go to Madrid, it sort of makes Beckham AC Milan adventure look a bit dangerous. More of an exodus instead of them buying big players wont be good.

Craig

World Traveller
I thought Xabi Alsono was going to join Real Madrid in a £22m deal?

Anyway here is something odd, today as I was leaving the gym and when I was at my locker collecting my stuff I overheard two blokes talking about the EPL and the European Cup and this one guy (he was wearing a Stoke jersey and by the sound of his accent, he was probably from there) said that Owen Hargreaves has retired :blink:

No idea what he was on.

Craig

World Traveller
Haha get ****ed, how on Earth would you replace him? He's a prat but he won you the Scudetto on his own this season.
And he went missing in the Champions League, as he usually does. To replace him? We have signed Diego Milito who scored one less goal this season and there are guys like Didier Drogba (I don't like him, but he and Mourinho are mates), David Villa or use your Ibra funds to turn around and get Samuel Eto'o.

Anyway on the Gareth Barry transfer, soccernet quoted him to be on £100,000 a week (economic crisis my arse), is that spot on less then reported? They said he was on £60k a week at Villa.

Last edited:

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Hope Robinho goes tbh, he doesn't fit in well with our system
Gotta be the dumbest thing you've ever typed. If he leaves, we're ****ed if we want to go anywhere.

And he went missing in the Champions League, as he usually does. To replace him? We have signed Diego Milito who scored one less goal this season and there are guys like Didier Drogba (I don't like him, but he and Mourinho are mates), David Villa or use your Ibra funds to turn around and get Samuel Eto'o.
I've watched a fair bit of Inter this season and this is what I think:

Milito: Poacher. Will be good if he plays in front of Ibra so he can be created for and Ibra doesn't have to win every game when your midfield is going nowhere (which is all the time).
Drogba: Possible but he's nothing like Ibra as a player, Drogba is a battering ram and Ibra is a creative genius. Plus he's the wrong side of 30 and has as big an attitude problem as Ibra, if not bigger. Will also miss most of the CL next season if justice is done.
Villa: He ain't leaving Spain, and in any case is nothing like Ibra.
Samuel Eto'o: Probably the most creative of the options you've listed (but that's not saying much). Goal machine but I'd be very very surprised if he leaves Barca.

Basically, what Ibra gives your side you cannot replace with any of those players you listed. They would all, however, be exceptional alongside him.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Anyway on the Gareth Barry transfer, soccernet quoted him to be on £100,000 a week (economic crisis my arse), is that spot on less then reported? They said he was on £60k a week at Villa.
From what I've read he was on 40k at Villa, was offered 60k (would make him the best paid player at the club by some distance) and is now on 85k.

pinchy81

International Vice-Captain
Schmeichel is good IMO, was very good early season last year. I wouldn't be surprised if Hughes brings in another goalkeeper and lets Schmeichel go (with Hart on loan).
I would be surprised if he were to buy another keeper this season, however I think he'll buyu one the season after

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Interesting stuff here: Ze Roberto Poised For Manchester City Switch - Goal.com

That Article said:
“I will decide things in the coming days” Ze Roberto told Munich’s TZ newspaper.

“High up on my list is the interest from Manchester City. They want to be in Europe and they want me to help them achieve that.
Was one of my favs when I was younger, seems a bit old for mine (34). Plus considering he now plays defensive midfield and we already have De Jong who'll play there. Suppose he'd be good for squad depth.