• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Neutral Views

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Wanted to see how many other neutrals will be watching this series. Found out recently that the station I watch WI overseas tours on will be carrying this one. Previously carried the 2005 one and I think the last, but it was at a bad time to watch so can't remember.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, I don't know who I'll want to win. As much as I've grown to like England recently as a result of all the unnecessary **** they get around here, I still totally prefer the way Australia play the game. It'll probably be decided by who i bet on prior to the series. I suspect Oz will win, like everyone else, but it won't be the walkover some seem to expect.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Re: Neutral Views
If Australia bat well they have a good chance, however if England bowl well they have just as good a chance. Whoever performs better on the day should win.

Flem274*

123/5
Not sure who I support. I like some players in both teams quite a bit, don't like some players in both teams quite a bit, and you can apply those same things to their supporters and commentators (the ones I don't like can sometimes be the same thing).

Wanting Siddle and Sidebottom to carve up though.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Don't like either teams on a personal level though I guess I'm backing certain English players to do well against the Aussies. Still reckon they'll get thrashed.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Even if Sidebottom does manage to outbowl Johnson - which presently seems an extremely unlikely prospect - Australia could quite easily still win.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
It will boild down to who wins the battle of the Left arm pacemen
Sidebottom and Johnson? No contest for me.
Even if Sidebottom does manage to outbowl Johnson - which presently seems an extremely unlikely prospect - Australia could quite easily still win.
If Sidebottom gets back to full fitness and swinging the cherry round corners he is gonna trouble the Ausi top order, throw in Jimmy Anderson swinging it both ways, Broad, Flintoff and that might actually be a decent attack.

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
If Sidebottom gets back to full fitness and swinging the cherry round corners
That's an enormous and tbh unlikely if. Also despite impressing against New Zealand in helpful conditions, his returns against India in helpful conditions were poor, he was ineffectual in Sri Lanka too, so it's hardly a guarantee that he'll cause that much trouble.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If Sidebottom gets back to full fitness and swinging the cherry round corners he is gonna trouble the Ausi top order, throw in Jimmy Anderson swinging it both ways, Broad, Flintoff and that might actually be a decent attack.
That's true, but as pointed-out in the above post, we'll be rather fortunate if that happens. I'd absolutely love it if it did, but I'm not particularly hopeful.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
his returns against India in helpful conditions were poor
His returns against India were actually good - it's just that the fielders put down hundreds of chances. He bowled superbly in the First Test and got the figures, bowled superbly in the Second Test and got moderate figures, and bowled pretty damn well again in the Third Test and had about 4 or 5 catches dropped.

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
His returns against India were actually good - it's just that the fielders put down hundreds of chances. He bowled superbly in the First Test and got the figures, bowled superbly in the Second Test and got moderate figures, and bowled pretty damn well again in the Third Test and had about 4 or 5 catches dropped.
Really? I only remember the odd tough chance going down, can't remember too many sitters being dropped?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
There were at least a couple of easy chances, as well as maybe 1, maybe 2, more tricky (but eminently catchable) ones, that went down at The Oval in 2007.