• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battrick

Mahindinho

State Vice-Captain
Actually had to think about what to call you. Had nothing, came up with that.

I'd be lying if I said I knew exactly how long, but I think three weeks on two nets.
Mah, Mac, Mo...they're usually some of the less uncomplimentary ones, anyway!

So, a bit more than halfway to Strong.

Looks like I'm abandoning my plan to get a £6M+ player, and instead buying two possible skill trades, one of whom (hopefully) will be a slight improvement on my current 5th bowler.

UPDATE: Chap I'm bidding on, a 20yo Rem/Superb bowler, was going for £3,333,333...until his current owner just weighed in with a £3.4M raise. The bugger. I've gone back in with another bid, and will not be impressed if the possibly apostrophically-challenged Gilchrists XI decides to play silly buggers.

UPDATE II: Got 'im for £3.5M. Attacking LM, which isn't the sort of bowler I'd usually go for, but it'll be interesting to see how he compares to my Qual/Superb defensive RM.

Last edited:

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Got this guy from the academy two weeks ago...I'm currently training him on 1 batting, 1 bowling, 1 stamina, 1 fielding. Thoughts?

George Moss

Plays For: Coco's Nuts
Nationality: Australia
Battrick Rating: 6,418 (+440)
Wages: £675 p/w

Stamina: competent Wicket Keeping: competent
Batting: mediocre Concentration: competent
Bowling: mediocre Consistency: abysmal
Fielding: abysmal

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Mah, Mac, Mo...they're usually some of the less uncomplimentary ones, anyway!

So, a bit more than halfway to Strong.

Looks like I'm abandoning my plan to get a £6M+ player, and instead buying two possible skill trades, one of whom (hopefully) will be a slight improvement on my current 5th bowler.

UPDATE: Chap I'm bidding on, a 20yo Rem/Superb bowler, was going for £3,333,333...until his current owner just weighed in with a £3.4M raise. The bugger. I've gone back in with another bid, and will not be impressed if the possibly apostrophically-challenged Gilchrists XI decides to play silly buggers.

UPDATE II: Got 'im for £3.5M. Attacking LM, which isn't the sort of bowler I'd usually go for, but it'll be interesting to see how he compares to my Qual/Superb defensive RM.
Bidding over a manager who has a bid on his own player is a low act IMO.

Mahindinho

State Vice-Captain
Got this guy from the academy two weeks ago...I'm currently training him on 1 batting, 1 bowling, 1 stamina, 1 fielding. Thoughts?
I'd be pretty wary of training an all-rounder from Mediocre on both primaries -- he's never going to be a star on single nets, and I don't think he's got the potential to justify multiple nettage. The Abysmal consistency will take a while to catch up, too.

Seems to me that he's actually more of a WK/bat trainee.

Mahindinho

State Vice-Captain
Really? Honestly, I saw it as the owner trying to bump the price up, testing my resolve with a late bid. Possibly being overly cynical but, if he seriously wanted the player back, wouldn't he have made a statement with a considerably higher bid?

I don't hang around on the transfer market much, so am not really aware of the etiquette involved. Feeling a bit guilty, though.

Mahindinho

State Vice-Captain
Just got a BT-mail from him saying that I'd got a bargain and he'd hoped to get >£4M, so he was most probably just trying to get a few more pennies. I wouldn't have gone that high, anyway.

If I decided I wanted a player back, I'd be upping the bid considerably (e.g. £3.3M to £4M rather than £3.4M) and sending out a BT-mail.

Picked up Winters for £800k too, which is nice. I'll have to see how he performs and decide what to do with them both at the end of the season. Winters certainly has the potential to be a nice player if I decide to get rid of Hirst, my current ageing quick, who's destructive and Rem/Wond.

Off to find three spare nets...

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
I have 2.5 million at the moment
I reckon you could find a dozen better trainees atm for not much money.

Batsmen
Shaun Glody (2432888)
Fran Odonnell (2434296)
Leeroy Marriott (2520054)

Wicket-keepers
Toby Forster (2476388)
Jack Keil (2456117)

All-Rounders
Derek Gate (2432829)
Arshad Afroz (2519484)
Paramartha Dhupam (2462806)
Dominic Keigher (2458791)

Bowlers
Teddy Sinclair (2519896)
Steve Aaron (2520969)

Son Of Coco

I reckon you could find a dozen better trainees atm for not much money.

Batsmen
Shaun Glody (2432888)
Fran Odonnell (2434296)
Leeroy Marriott (2520054)

Wicket-keepers
Toby Forster (2476388)
Jack Keil (2456117)

All-Rounders
Derek Gate (2432829)
Arshad Afroz (2519484)
Paramartha Dhupam (2462806)
Dominic Keigher (2458791)

Bowlers
Teddy Sinclair (2519896)
Steve Aaron (2520969)
Thanks very much for the help mate, I'll check them out. That I'm still pretty clueless on battrick after all this time is slightly amazing haha

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Thanks very much for the help mate, I'll check them out. That I'm still pretty clueless on battrick after all this time is slightly amazing haha
Think it just means you have a life. (Y) Let me know who (if anyone) you go for.

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
No way... if a player's listed then they obviously wanted to sell him, and are probably driving up the price. They can bid above market price to ensure they get him back, but if it's around a reasonable price then fair game IMO.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Disagree. I've been in that position, and the last thing you want to do is drive up the money you lose. You want to get him back for as cheap as possible.

Son Of Coco

Think it just means you have a life. (Y) Let me know who (if anyone) you go for.
Went after Gate...had him up until the initial deadline, which then extended by 3 minutes and I lost him as I had insufficient funds (am bidding on someone else I hope I lose)...**** it.

Mahindinho

State Vice-Captain
Disagree. I've been in that position, and the last thing you want to do is drive up the money you lose. You want to get him back for as cheap as possible.
You lose about 5%, right? I still think you need to send out a clear message, as there are enough people out there (going from HT experience, admittedly) who are prepared to bid on their own players to drive up the price.

Be that a significant over-bid, going above market value (which was the done thing in HT) or sending a BT-mail. Either way, it makes it much clearer.

I certainly think it's bad form to get into a bidding war on your own player. One bid to bump up the price, fair enough, but two or three isn't on.

Majin

International Debutant
post some updates of where my trainees are at, both almost done in their time I think. Hoping to get new blood in next season.

Shankar Biburg - 20 yo, BT Rating=68,698
RH Batsman, RFM Bowler. He is an attacking player with woeful leadership skills and mediocre experience.
He currently has strong batting form, superb bowling form and sublime fitness.
Stamina: superb Wicket Keeping: woeful
Batting: feeble Concentration: competent
Bowling: exceptional Consistency: exceptional
Fielding: respectable

will probably stop training him once he hits sens/sens unless anyone can tell me of a reason to persist that I might have missed, forgotten almost everything about BT these days

Jason Penford - 22 yo, BT Rating=75,556
RH Batsman, RM Bowler. He is an attacking player with mediocre leadership skills and strong experience.
He currently has strong batting form, worthless bowling form and sublime fitness.
Stamina: superb Wicket Keeping: mediocre
Batting: exquisite Concentration: sensational
Bowling: worthless Consistency: competent
Fielding: respectable

Again prolly wait until he hits exquisite concentration before taking him off, according to atstumps he doesn't have that long left until he gets there anyway so yeah.

can't decide whether to train a keeper and a spinner and possibly another bat after this or to go for an allrounder.

nibbs

International Captain
hmm. guys. the RF bowler I have been waiting for has been listed. which means one of my 3 FMs has to go. obviously allison, the prodigal son, stays. this leaves winters and kutloano.

now keeping in mind had i kept both winters and kutloano, the plan was to always train them up to exceptional bowling, so there current skills maybe don't matter that much. with the new RF i'm obviously going to lose some batting if i were to sell kutluano.

in the current lineup, kutloano bats at 9, winters 10. so whilst there is an argument that kutloano's batting would come in handy, it could also be viewed as a waste of space. in one day matches this season he has been called on 3 times in 14 matches. i guess you could put this down partly to the standard of opponent i've had to play. i'll promote this season or next. not sure when, but when my opponents improve, the batting above kutloano will be stronger anyway. so i guess the question i'd ask is, is his batting still of use of no.9? or would you defer to winters?

i'm torn.

Peter Kutloano - 20 yo, BT Rating=75,640
RH Batsman, LFM Bowler. He is an attacking player with respectable leadership skills and woeful experience.
He currently has superb batting form, superb bowling form and invigorated fitness.
Stamina: superb Wicket Keeping: worthless
Batting: superb Concentration: strong
Bowling: remarkable Consistency: strong
Fielding: wonderful

Daniel Winters - 20 yo, BT Rating=41,233
RH Batsman, RFM Bowler. He is a steady player with woeful leadership skills and mediocre experience.
He currently has competent batting form, proficient bowling form and energetic fitness.
Stamina: superb Wicket Keeping: worthless
Batting: worthless Concentration: respectable
Bowling: wonderful Consistency: quality
Fielding: mediocre