• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

<<<World Club Cricket Herald>>>

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Warwickshire saved, For Now!

Warwickshire Cricket Club have been saved, for now, by the most unexpected source, Current manager Brendon Goff.

Goff has purchased the club just days after the club was sent into administration after the previous owners were unable to keep the club afloat. There were grave fears that the club would fold just weeks after Goff, The apparent saviour was appointed manager. Goff has turned out to be the saviour however not in the area that was expected.

Although Goff has saved the club there are a few things which are left up in the air. What will happen to the name Warwickshire Cricket Club, Will Goff remain in the managers role, and what changes will he make to the club?

The current talk is that the purchase of the club does not include the club name which will continue to remain as part of the English County system, this would mean that Goff would have to re-brand the whole club, also allowing the possibility of the club re-locating.
This would need the approval of the World Club Cricket Council before any plans could eventuate however it is believed that Goff has some big plans to take the club forward.

One thing for certain is the players futures are safe and that the club will partake in season 3 of the WCC.

Goff is scheduled to hold a press conference later today where it is expected he will release more details on the takeover and the future plans of the club.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
THREE TEAMS A MUST FOR ENGLAND

WCC CEO Simon Fitzsimmons announced overnight that the current Warwickshire outfit would remain based in England. After suggestions from the media that the side could be moved to manager Goff's native Australia to based out of the ACT, Fitzsimmons and his board have announced they will not allow the club to shift from the UK. "We are committed to the region having a side and will do whatever it takes to keep on there, we are delighted that Goff will play a role at the club and will support the moves he makes within reason."

The future of the club looks clouded and it will be interesting to see what happens next.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Canberra not an option - Goff

Newly appointed Warwickshire owner Brendon Goff has categorically denied he was looking to re-locate his newly purchased club to the ACT in Australia.

Goff told reporters that the ACT was not even on his radar and that he had spent far to much time there in his previous ACT stints. "Anyone who has been to the ACT before would know what i mean, its a droopy old place and the only thing that kept me there in my previous stint was the fact that my team was top class, and to be honest most of my time was spent in Sydney and i commuted down".

More news on the Warwickshire saga soon.

Simon

GOFF NOT WORTHY TO BE A CANBERRAN

Cobras manager Simon Fitzsimmons jnr has hit back at the comments made by Warwickshire manager Brendon Goff about his native Canberra. Fitzsimmons who recently described Goff as a "poor manager" today has said Goff wouldn't be accepted by the people of Canberra who "don't like his kind". After dismissing the ACT as a possible destination for his WCC franchise, Goff had few nice words to say about the place, which really is pretty ironic coming from someone who has lived most of his life in a place like Campbelltown.

No word yet what the WCC board have to say about the comments from Fitzsimmons jnr.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Press Conference with Brendon Goff

We can tell you that the press conference is about to be held with new Warwickshire Owner and current manager Brendon Goff, We will cross to the conference now.

Goff: Ladies and Gentlemen thank you for attending today, I would like to start off by confirming that I have purchased the Ownership of the World Club Cricket Warwickshire Licence. It was an unfortunate situation that the club found themselves in, however fortunately I was in a position where I could help out and do my bit. There are some finer details still to be ironed out however I can reveal that the name Warwickshire Cricket Club will no longer be seen in the World Club Cricket leagues. Unfortunately due to the naming rights of the club remaining with the English County Cricket side we have been forced to re-brand the club. It has also become apparent to me that due to my increasing workload behind the scenes I will be forced to step down from my managerial position and will be appointing a new manager in the coming days.
It is with great pleasure now that I bring to you The West Midlands Lightning.

I will now be taking questions.
Reporter: Brendon, why did you feel the need to bail the club out considering you’ve only been here a few weeks?

Goff: Look as I said before I felt that I was lucky enough to be in a position where I could assist, Along with the fact that I can see some great things happening with this club in the future, that was the reason I came here in the beginning. It was unfortunate that the financial problems hit but I feel that together we can pull ourselves out of this and come out the other side stronger then we have ever been.

Reporter: It was mentioned that you were considering a possible new start with a total re-location of the club, was this true and how close were you to doing this?

Goff: It was true, we considered many options and re-locating the club was one of them, however for the time being we felt that it would be best to stay in our current location. That is not to say that in the future we will not re-locate, however that will depend on the success we get in the near future. We need the fans to get behind this club, this club represents all those in the West Midlands, and so we haven’t alienated anyone from the old Warwickshire fan base.

Reporter: You’ve said you’ll be standing down from the managing duties, was this decision yours or were you forced to stand down due to your Ownership role?

Goff: The decision was totally mine, I have decided that until I get used to the Ownership role I will not be doing any managing. The responsibility I have taken on is an important one and I feel I need to devote as much of my time to that as I possibly can.

Reporter: Do you have anyone in mind for the manager’s role?

Goff: Yes, I have a few people I want to speak to, however we are not limiting ourselves. We want the best person for the job and we will do our best to get them.

Reporter: Do you have any names for us?

Goff: No, until we speak to people I won’t be naming people; I don’t think it’s fair I do that. As I said before however we will not be limiting ourselves, we will be thinking outside the box.

Reporter: How are the players with all this upheaval?

Goff: Look the players are professionals, they know they have a job to do and can’t worry too much about the backroom stuff. In saying that we are in a pretty lucky position that this stuff has come out during the off-season and it can’t really affect our cricket. We have assured the players that their positions are safe and are hoping that all the finer details will be finalised by seasons start.

Reporter: Will you reveal how much you paid for the licence?

Goff: No, that’s between me and the administrators.

Reporter: What are your plans for the club?

Goff: Like any clubs our aim is to be successful, we have a long way to go and are under no illusions of the task at hand, however we feel that we have built the team which can give us success on the pitch. As for off the pitch we want to build on our fan base which will provide the club with long term security.

Reporter: You mentioned earlier that re-location was considered could you inform us what options were considered.

Goff: I spoke with WCC Chairman Simon Fitzsimmons the other day in regards to this as I had a few ideas which I felt could improve the profile of the game worldwide but together we decided that it wasn’t the right time for that. As for the actual locations, I’m not in a position to reveal them right now.
That’s all we have time for today, thank you for your time.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
A fallout between a popular player and Queensland manager Kyle Wright has been rumoured to be the catalyst of an offseason Queensland trade. More news to come tonight.

Mister Wright

Wright and Watson Clash

Many people considered the trading of Queensland First Class player of season two Shane Watson to South Australia as a very confusing decision, more details have come to light as to why the decision was made by Queensland Coach and CEO Kyle Wright.

There were rumours early in the offseason that Watson was considering moving to N.S.W. to be closer to his girlfriend. Watson's timing of this decision was a speculation he was encouraging a trade between N.S.W. and QLD. However, after Watson and Wright clashed late during season two over Watson's batting position in one dayers and his role of being used purely as a bowler, it is said that Wright decided if Watson didn't want to stay he was going to get rid of him and it was going to be anywhere other than N.S.W.

"Shane came to the Queensland Cricket Board hinting that he wished to move to N.S.W. for personal reasons. We told Shane that he was in our plans for next season and we wanted him to stay, but he was adamant that he was not happy with his treatment as a one day player at the club and wanted to go to N.S.W. where he knew he was going to be treated like a player of his stature should be." Wright said last night.

"During this time I was working with the South Australian Cricket Board about a trade and I decided if he didn't want to stay in Queensland we weren't going to keep him. The trade with South Australia fell into to place and the rest is history. I would have loved to send him overseas, but I had to do what was best for the Queensland side." Wright said.

It is yet to be seen if Watson has made the cut for the South Australian squad for season three.

Mister Wright

MacGill Enjoying Sea Change

Stuart MacGill has revealed he feels "19" again as he prepares for season four with the Queensland squad. MacGill, who was traded in the offseason from N.S.W. has said the change has rejuvenated his desire for cricket.

"Towards the end of last season I was considering retirement from the game, but I still felt I had a lot more to offer the game. Things were getting stale at N.S.W. and I felt that I really wasn't reaching the goals that I had set myself as a professional cricketer. However, after being traded to Queensland I feel refreshed and ready to go. The season can't start quick enough." MacGill said at training yesterday.

"Queensland manager Kyle Wright talked to me as soon as I arrived in Queensland and told me he was relying on me to be a leader in the one day games and most importantly take wickets. Since I arrived here the boys have been really good to me, I'm really enjoying my time hear and I think Queensland are going to have a great season. There's a real buoyancy the place and the other new guys Dizzy and Cozy are really liking it too. I reckon we'll surprise a few people this season."

All recruited players were today selected in the pre-draft squad for season three. Captain Matthew Hayden and vice captain Andrew Symonds head a 14 man squad.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Alwis gets cut from leadership group

After captaining Kandurata to the Twenty20 title last season middle order batsmen Thiru Alwis has been cut from Kandurata's leadership group. The view around the club is that the pressure of being vice captain of the One Day side and captain of Twenty20 last season affected his batting and resulted in him being dropped during the back end of the season.

Kumar Sangakkara will continue as club captain. With new signing Tendulkar Darden taking over as vice captain. Mahela Jayawardene will continue as a memeber of leadership group, but will no longer continue as vice captain of the FC side. Fast bowlers Kaushalya Weeraratne and Ashanka Ganegama have replaced out going batsmen Thilan Samaraweera and Marvan Atapattu as the final members of the leadership group.

Simon

TROUGHTON SHOCKED AT BEING DE-LISTED

Former West Midland Lightning batsman James Troughton has today revealed his disappointment at his shock sacking from the squad. Troughton who was the leading run scorer in first class cricket for the club with 1552 runs @ 48.50 was dismayed when told the news that he wouldnt be required for season three by former manager Brendon Goff. "I couldn't believe what I was hearing, I was off on holiday in the middle east and my manager phoned me to ask what I thought of playing for another franchise, it didn't really make sense at first as I was very happy at the club and had no thoughts of moving anywhere."

It is believed that Troughton's sacking has something to do with the recent financial position of the club, while not one of the higher played players Troughton was obviously viewed as expendable. Troughton also had this to say to his former team mates; "I hope each of the lads is watching his back, Goff is unpredicable and doesn't seem to want to make any friends there, it's always been about business and money for him, I just hope the guys have multiple options open at any time as anything could happen."

Mister Wright

Lehmann/Bichel Trophy Announced

Lehmann/Bichel Trophy Announced

Queensland and South Australia have announced that the two sides will compete for the Lehmann/Bichel trophy during season three of the World Club Cricket one day tournament. In respect to two of World Club Crickets greatest players and their outstanding contributions to their respective sides both Darren Lehmann and Andy Bichel will be honoured with their names on a trophy that will be awarded to the team that wins the contest whenever the two teams meet.

Andy Bichel revealed his gratitude and pride at being honoured in such a way.

"World Club Cricket came on the tail end of my career and I'm very disappointed it didn't happen earlier. It is a great concept and something that teams really get up for, it's fantastic that Queensland are going so strong after my retirement and it's great that these two teams can form a rivalry." Bichel said.

Queensland manager Kyle Wright said that the two franchises had got to know each other well after the recent trading period and he is pleased to see the two teams add something a little more to the sesaon."

"Obviously this is a great incentive for World Club Cricket and for both South Australia and Queensland. Of course we will be aiming to win both the first class and one day divisions, but this is a nice little contest within a contest. Unfortunately we won't face South Australia in the first class arena, but hopefully that's something that will occur in season four." Wright said.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Lightning name Inaugural Coach.

West Midlands Lightning after weeks of interviews and discussions with candidates today named Hamish McTavish as their inaugural coach. McTavish, Scotlands first ever professional cricketer, will take over the top job from Brendon Goff who has stepped into the Owners shoes.

"We were looking for someone with Passion, a personality and someone who can shake things up a bit, and Hamish was the perfect choice" Goff told reporters today.

McTavish who is well known for his prior alcohol and gambling problems has no previous professional coaching experience but Goff believes this will not hamper his performance. "Hamish was a top class cricketer and we feel that he can get the best out of this group of guys".

WCC Board members will no doubt be very watchful of McTavish who in the past has had a record of being very vocal in the media, although it will ensure that West Midlands will be getting plenty of publicity in their inaugural season.

Hamish McTavish Bio
First Class Games: 89
Bat Ave: 39
Bowl Ave: 31
One Day Domestic Games: 140
Bat Ave: 41.2
Bowl Ave: 33

Career High/Lowlights
1986: First Class debut for Glamorgan
1988: Century on ODD Debut
1990: Suspended for Tripping Batsman
1991: Selected for Scotland only to miss match due to alcohol poisoning.
1995: Tour toured Australia with Scottish side, only to be deported for sleeping with Prime Ministers Daughter.
1998: Scored Career High score of 205*
2000: Suspended for Abusing Umpire in CC Final
2003: Lifetime ban from Playing for assaulting opponent Captain after controversially losing Domestic OD Final.
2005: Found close to death from Alcohol poisoning lying in Glasgow gutter.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Sydney Morning Herald
NSW BLUES UNVEIL DRAFTED PLAYERS

Newest players include fast bowler, new wicket-keeper, and first ever WCC female player

Wednesday 15th April 2009

The New South Wales Blues today gave the official media presentation of the six players the team had drafted in the World Club Cricket draft; The Blues added even more youth to their squad - only four of the seventeen players on the roster are aged over 30, with none of the drafted players older than 25, and two of the new players still in their teens.

With the sixth overall pick, the Blues selected Basheeru Walters, a raw 22-year-old fast-bowler from Port Elizabeth, South Africa. Walters has an outstanding record in youth cricket in South Africa, and was thought to be high on the draft boards of many WCC managers, and is expected to be a starter for the Blues in both forms of the game. The pick used to acquire Walters was attained in a trade with Kent for highly popular local player Michael Clarke, so only time will tell if the trade will work out for New South Wales, and be worthwhile for the Blues.

Basheeru Walters was the sixth overall pick in the WCC draft

The Blues used their assigned twelfth pick to gain the rights to nineteen-year-old batsman David Ault, who hails from Sydney, the home of the Blues. Ault has lit up the Sydney Grade Cricket circuit, impressing many with his explosive stroke play in the shorter forms of the game, but also showing maturity and poise in his two-innings showings. Ault has also shown promise with his part-time leg-spin at the Grade Cricket level, and will be the Blues' third-choice spin bowler, behind Greg Belle and Beau Casson. Ault will be competing strongly for places in both forms of the game, but with such a talented roster, it isn't yet clear if Ault will have a slot in his rookie year.

Dan Ault will play for his home town team

The Blues had back-to-back selections in the second round, and used the 27th overall pick to select wicket-keeper Q.D. Carver, who had been released by Auckland at the end of last season, but will find a role as the limited overs wicket-keeper in Sydney. Twenty-four-year-old Carver averages 43 in his WCC OD career, and will become one of the better batsmen in a very competitive middle order that looks to win a OD championship. Ault will back-up Brad Haddin in the FC game.

Q.D. Carver will move across the Tasman Sea to Sydney

Straight after the Carver pick, the Blues made a much more surprising selection, choosing unheralded Pakistani opening batsman Aziz Ur-Rehman. Ur-Rehman, aged twenty-five, has shown signs of amazing talent in Pakistani cricket, making two scores of over 150 in the district OD league, but has almost no experience in the longer forms of the game. The Blues will be hoping that Ur-Rehman can re-create his performances on the big stage, but this pick is certainly a gamble by the men from Sydney.

Aziz Ur-Rehman was a surprise selection at 28th overall, but will he live up to his billing?

One round later, New South Wales were back on the clock, and selected seventeen-year-old Rob Wilson, one of the youngest players in the draft, whose seam-bowling skills were deemed good enough for the Blues to draft the highly-touted Perth-born bowler straight out of high school. Wilson had created quite a storm in Western Australia, when he made his grade cricket debut at the age of just 15, and was an immediate success, but had been expected to spend a couple of years tuning his skills, and building up his physical strength and endurance before declaring for the draft. However, many teams didn't want to take the risk on Wilson higher in the draft, so he slipped all the way down to the Blues at number forty-five, who will take the gamble on the Western Australian. The Blues have already announced that Wilson will spend the majority of Season 3 at the World Club Cricket academy.

Rob Wilson will be going to the WCC academy

However, any surprises or controversies from previous picks were completely out shadowed by the Blues' fourth round pick, as, with the 52nd overall pick NSW selected Carey Vaughan, who had shown success playing in English domestic cricket for Surrey. However, the pick was spotlighted in the media because Carey Vaughan is the first ever female player drafted in World Club Cricket. Carey has shown success both in women's cricket and in high-quality men's cricket, but transferring her skills onto the World Club Cricket stage will be the ultimate test of her abilities. However, some journalists and figures around the WCC community have derided the pick, describing the selection of Vaughan as a "gimmick" and "pandering to the media". Vaughan has stayed relatively quiet about her selection thus far, saying only that she was "very excited" about being drafted. She will most likely be a backup player for the Blues this season, but if she gets a chance to breakthrough, all eyes will be on the young woman breaking new frontiers in World Club Cricket.

Carey Vaughan will be the first woman to play in World Club Cricket

Simon

Haha good job Jamee particuarly with the last one. BTW your second last pick you got D Gamage not R Wilson as you have there.