• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa

Josh

International Regular
They would but he still shouldnt get a game in the Oz setup!

If nothing else this test should convince the Oz selectors to stop stuffing around trying to find a spinner and an all-rounder and simply play

Siddle
Johnson
Clark
Lee
North/Watson/Symonds

with a Haurritz thrown in occassionally
Won't see Watson much anymore, bloke doesn't bowl.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Not too concerned with this result as the team is experimental and made up of ridiculous number of inexperienced players who can be expected to throw in the odd shocker

However, I am concerned at how poor Ponting and Hussey have been in these 6 tests - basically woeful
English bowlers will get them into decent nick. :dry:

I think Ponting’s average of the past two years for a player of his class is decidedly ‘average’ (low 40s) whilst Hussey has looked rank bad during the whole test series against South Africa - never able to dominate or even look like he is in control. It seems like he doesn’t know where his off-pole is anymore, keeps flirting outside off and gets beaten one time too many an over but he has a good opportunity of playing an innings of substance today (and tomorrow).

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
I think providing he does keep things tight, means his place in the side will be valued. As you say SA don't often hesitate if four pacemen is the way to go, but the fact of the matter is he does offer variety, and so I suppose a little leeway would be given to him for him to maintain his place, but he is performing to a standard where he deserves his place.

However, will he manage to hold off Imran Tahir should he continue in the wickets ? There you have a contrasting pair of slow bowlers. Harris the more reliable orthodox spin bowler, Tahir the more exciting, more likely match-winner.
Harro always out-bowls Imran when they play together at the Titans. Mickey Arthur has said that Harro is likely to continue to play but at grounds such as Newlands or away in the subcontinent; they would go in with 3 seamers (Steyn, 2nd guy and Kallis) and two spinners in Harris and Tahir.

But that could all change as South Africa’s next test series isn’t until December against England and if Tahir cleans up during the county season, they could fancy going with the leggie and trying the ‘unorthodox’, as England are well versed at playing against bowlers such as Harris.

South Africa also want to try out Imran during the forthcoming ODI series but given Botha’s form it will be hard to push him aside unless they opt for two spinners or give Tahir a go if the series becomes dead after 3 or 4 games.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Looks like the selectors have been vindicating in putting Albertus in for his erratic brother.

McDonald and McPain playing their last tests barring unforeseeable miracles.
I can see Albie as a one test wonder for the foreseeable future (unless he does something special today...) but a possible replacement for Kallis in the long-term. Of course he won’t bat top four but he could bat top six/seven for mine, easy. His bowling is still too hit and miss and that is what primarily he is in the side for, can’t construct an over despite having 'all' the tools (good pace, nice outswinger, decent changes of pace).

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What kind of back injury is it? Like a fracture to one of the bones? Busted discs?
Another bout of stress fractures

Usually the only remedy is rest and a change in action but as he has already tried both it will be difficult to come back again with any degree of success

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
How many runs do you think will be scored in this session?

I'm going for just 68, 2-170 at lunch.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Do Australian viewers have to put up with Mark **** Collector commentating? The SA team is actually really good this year, bit of Courtney Walsh, Neil Johnson, Manthorp and some local chick who isn't Kass Naidoo

inbox24

International Debutant
The good thing about a situation like this is that Hussey doesn't have to score runs. He can just take his time, play himself in, and then start to think about ticking it over. Be a good opportunity for him to get his form back.