• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

You know what really grinds my cricketing gears?

Matt79

Global Moderator
The worst search engine in the world on the top of Statsguru

Possibly I'm just momentually missing the correct way to use this pile of ****, but the basic search to retrieve player records for Statsguru must be the worst search tool I've ever seen. You type in Mark Waugh and it brings up Denmark team and venue records and no player by that name. You then type just Waugh, and it comes up with, surprise surprise, Mark Waugh. You type RN Harvey and it says "no match". You type "Ian Healy" and it says "no match".

What the **** Cricinfo? :@

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire

Possibly I'm just momentually missing the correct way to use this pile of ****, but the basic search to retrieve player records for Statsguru must be the worst search tool I've ever seen. You type in Mark Waugh and it brings up Denmark team and venue records and no player by that name. You then type just Waugh, and it comes up with, surprise surprise, Mark Waugh. You type RN Harvey and it says "no match". You type "Ian Healy" and it says "no match".

Yeah, they run a very strange matching system

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

You have to use initials. Nonetheless, as soon as there's a spacebar in the search characters, the cat's amongst the pigeons.

Using a player's first name never works. Use his initials+surname or surname only. And always be prepared to have to change between the "team", "player and official" and "ground" category, because you're automatically zoomed to the one with the most search results.

It's not ideal and I do much prefer the old version as far as searching is concerned (it also retains the missed-match feature which the new one doesn't have). However, the old one went completely haywire a few weeks back and brought-up some URL results that were so bizarre I can't even describe them in words. You had to see it to believe it.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Except, as I mentioned, I've tried the initials and surname approach and had it blank on me as well - eg. RN Harvey returned nothing, but Neil Harvey did.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Plain bizarre. Can only assume there's some sort of bug there which will hopefully be fixed ASAP, as the one with the old Guru was.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Except, as I mentioned, I've tried the initials and surname approach and had it blank on me as well - eg. RN Harvey returned nothing, but Neil Harvey did.
Ah, there's your issue mate - if you're trying to search by initials they have to come after the surname. So if you enter Harvey, RN you should get Neil Harvey come up for you.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Well that's logical and certainly cleary explained on the page.

In case you can't tell, I was being sarcastic! :schmoll:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Ah, there's your issue mate - if you're trying to search by initials they have to come after the surname. So if you enter Harvey, RN you should get Neil Harvey come up for you.
They don't have to. :huh: I've many times typed in initials followed by surname and got result. EG, earlier today, "mj hoggard" fetched me Matthew Hoggard's search result, as desired.

TheEpic

School Boy/Girl Captain
Fast bowlers who are decent and athletic in the field.

Oi, James Anderson, Brett Lee et al. Stop being so good in the outfield! Who here doesn't enjoy the simple joy of watching Steve Harmison chase and field a ball when his body clearly wasn't designed to bend or dive in the slightest. And don't even get me started on Munaf Patel, he looks like he's genuinely having a really terrible time out there.

Cracking.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Can't say there's so much as one occasion in my life where I've ever especially enjoyed bad fielding. It's the first thing that reduces the quality of watching, IMO.