• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jayasuriya?

dcourt

Cricket Spectator
You didn't get it, did ya?

he is the best batsman in his team even at 40. :laugh:
I didn't say he is the best bat in the team...I said he is the best ODI bat we have ever seen, overall. At least for me, he certainly is. I'm not a SL fan, but the truth be told, you have to credit his brilliance.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Depends whether the SLC ever pay him and how much IPL and County cricket he gets inbetween. Only playing still cus he hasn't earned anything from cricket.

krkode

State Captain
I think it'd be a stretch... we haven't had a 40+ cricketer in a while... not since Stewart, and England at the time really needed Stewart, probably more than SL need Jayasuriya. I think they'll do fine even without him but if he can go strong for another couple of IPL seasons and stuff I'm sure he would find himself in the squad.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
No I would think. He is one of the all time greats of ODI, but his time is up. If SL fails to find a suitable opener, they should stop playing ODIs and it's not a fault of Jayasuriya or selectors who asks him to step down

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I disagree. India have been test class without suitable fast bowlers for so long in their history. Its a wonder we managed to win as many tests as we did.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
I disagree. India have been test class without suitable fast bowlers for so long in their history. Its a wonder we managed to win as many tests as we did.
SL was like that a decade ago. But they had a gun middle order of Gurusinghe, De Silva, Ranatunga and Tillekaratne, which all will average 45+ if they played on todays featherbeds. But compared to that SL only now has Sangakkara and Jayawardane. The current middle order is as no where as good as what it was 10 years back.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Outside the subcontinent (well, outside India and Sri Lanka in fact), India won 0 Tests between '32 and '67. Then they won 6 Tests (excluding 2 against Packer-afflicted Australian teams) between '72 and '00.

They've won 10 (2 in Zimbabwe in '05/06 excluded for obvious reasons) in the last 8 years now (including 2 in Pakistan). And they also won 5 in 3 years between '68 and '71. Aside from those 2 short periods, being an Indian fan when they were playing outside India and Sri Lanka was a wretched indeed.

However, they were Test-class all their time of playing Tests due to the strength of their home form, when for the most part they've been near-unbeatable.

sanga1337

U19 Captain
SL was like that a decade ago. But they had a gun middle order of Gurusinghe, De Silva, Ranatunga and Tillekaratne, which all will average 45+ if they played on todays featherbeds. But compared to that SL only now has Sangakkara and Jayawardane. The current middle order is as no where as good as what it was 10 years back.
TBF Samaraweera is a pretty decent middle order player in tests. And while Dilshan is rather inconsistant he is capable of putting in a good performance every now and then. Certainly wouldn't say it was no where near as good as the middle order of 10 years ago.