• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official West Indies in New Zealand***

James

Cricket Web Owner
Tend to think your team is light on batsmen Jimmy.

Do we really need 4 seamers do you think?

Athlai

Not Terrible
McIntosh (if he gets a score of more than 80 when Akl play them, otherwise Redmond)
How
Taylor
Fulton
Ryder
Franklin
McCullum
Vettori
Southee
Obrien
Martin

I feel a LH/RH combo at the top will be good to unsettle the Windies bowlers first up, but wouldn't be confident putting McIntosh in there unless he was coming straight off a decent score.

Don't like the thought of Fulton having to play spin when he first comes in, thus moves above Ryder who is good against the turning ball (not that it will turn much in NZ).

I see Franklin as having a better defence than McCullum. Brendon pushes at the ball too much early on. So I'd trust Franklin more than McCullum to get us out of the **** if needed. If we're going good then McCullum moves ahead of him.

Bowling attack is pretty straight forward.
I've always been a big fan of Taylor at 3 but most CWers are pretty adamant about him being right down the order. 3 or 4 are the ideal places for him.

Franklin at 6 is interesting, felt for a while he's probably as good as Oram with the bat in a Test match situation. Not too shabby a team at all, I like the idea of keeping the attack together while still adding the very dangerous Franklin to the team. I'd personally just drop one of Martin/Southee depending on conditions.

JimmyGS

First Class Debutant
Tend to think your team is light on batsmen Jimmy.

Do we really need 4 seamers do you think?
On second thought, I agree. I forgot about Ryder being a very handy part time seamer in NZ conditions. Bring Flynn (Urrggh) in for one of Obrien or Martin, I'd lean towards giving Obrien the drinks.

Franklin at 6 is interesting, felt for a while he's probably as good as Oram with the bat in a Test match situation.
Hmm. I watched quite a bit of Franklin's double ton against the Aces. My main worry was that he doesn't get onto the back foot, preferring to simply stand tall when playing the back foot defence (also what I do). He could be a candidate to get pinged a few times by the Windies quicks. A dent in confidence like that isn't what you want when making your comeback.

I guess time will tell.

Polo23

International Debutant
On second thought, I agree. I forgot about Ryder being a very handy part time seamer in NZ conditions. Bring Flynn (Urrggh) in for one of Obrien or Martin, I'd lean towards giving Obrien the drinks.

Hmm. I watched quite a bit of Franklin's double ton against the Aces. My main worry was that he doesn't get onto the back foot, preferring to simply stand tall when playing the back foot defence (also what I do). He could be a candidate to get pinged a few times by the Windies quicks. A dent in confidence like that isn't what you want when making your comeback.

I guess time will tell.
No Oram?

I also watched quite a bit of Franklin's double ton. Well...from 0-50 anyway. Were you there on that first day of play?

I also noticed Franklin's tendency to stand up tall, rather than use the depth of the crease. I figured on NZ's slow tracks he would be absolutely fine, he could get in trouble on quicker pitches against quick bowlers but against genuine quicks in NZ I think he will be ok. After all, he did score a test ton in South Africa against one of the quickest bowlers in the world. Franklin did look absolutely superb, atleast the first 50 of his knock that I saw.

JimmyGS

First Class Debutant
CD? Mitchell McClenaghan and Richard Sherlock, two of the quickest bowlers in the country...
Never seen this Sherlock fella, but I've trained with Mitch before and played indoor against him, I'm not worried. Left armers are generally simple to face for left handed batters as well, very rarely can they get a ball into that awkward area around your front shoulder.

Injured isn't he?

JimmyGS

First Class Debutant
Were you there on that first day of play?
Uhh can't really remember. I had a training in the morning one of the days. Whichever day bell got out on. It rained briefly in the afternoon before they got a few more overs in right at the end of the day.

Polo23

International Debutant
Uhh can't really remember. I had a training in the morning one of the days. Whichever day bell got out on. It rained briefly in the afternoon before they got a few more overs in right at the end of the day.
Yeah, that was the day I was there. I'm pretty sure I walked past you...atleast I walked past someone who I think you look like...I think you were talking to a coach..or some older guy anyway.

Polo23

International Debutant
Never seen this Sherlock fella, but I've trained with Mitch before and played indoor against him, I'm not worried. Left armers are generally simple to face for left handed batters as well, very rarely can they get a ball into that awkward area around your front shoulder.

Injured isn't he?
Sherlock was supposed to be bowling 150km/h+ at the start of his career before serious back injuries (doesnt that sound familiar) hampered him. Now I believe he is slower, but still quite quick. Ah, didnt know you batted lefty.

Pretty sure Oram will be right before the first test starts.

JimmyGS

First Class Debutant
Yeah, that was the day I was there. I'm pretty sure I walked past you...atleast I walked past someone who I think you look like...I think you were talking to a coach..or some older guy anyway.
Ooh the suspense! You wouldn't have missed me arrive if you were there, my bag is massive and makes ****loads of noise when I drop down the levels when you first go in the gate. :laugh:

Polo23

International Debutant
Ooh the suspense! You wouldn't have missed me arrive if you were there, my bag is massive and makes ****loads of noise when I drop down the levels when you first go in the gate. :laugh:
Na, I got there pretty late..just before Reece Young put down Matt Bell at first slip when he was on 80 odd. Never saw/heard anyone come down the stairs.

I should have had a bowl to you, my outswingers (to the lefty) are unplayable :laugh:

JimmyGS

First Class Debutant
Sherlock was supposed to be bowling 150km/h+ at the start of his career before serious back injuries (doesnt that sound familiar) hampered him. Now I believe he is slower, but still quite quick. Ah, didnt know you batted lefty.

Pretty sure Oram will be right before the first test starts.
Ahh, sounds like a good challenge. I'v sort of been preparing for facing that sort of stuff for a while now, regularly facing 155-160 kmph on the bowling machine. Would be cool to face up to the real thing though.

If Oram is fit then:

McIntosh/Redmond
How
Taylor
Fulton
Ryder
Oram
Franklin
McCullum
Vettori
Southee
Martin

If I could rely on getting some serious overs out of Ryder and Oram, I'd be seriously tempted to drop Martin for Flynn. Probably taking things a bit far though.

Polo23

International Debutant
Na, I got there pretty late..just before Reece Young put down Matt Bell at first slip when he was on 80 odd. Never saw/heard anyone come down the stairs.

I should have had a bowl to you, my outswingers (to the lefty) are unplayable :laugh:
Yikes...155-160 on the bowling machine, screw that. I thought you were more of a bowler who could slog a few?

Edit: Crap, quoted the wrong post.

JimmyGS

First Class Debutant
I thought you were more of a bowler who could slog a few?
Averaged 41 at u17 nationals last seaon, and 48 on the Akl emerging players tour to Aussie a month or so ago.

I badly underperformed over in Eng, partly due to inexperience and partly due to the situations I had to bat in.

Polo23

International Debutant
Averaged 41 at u17 nationals last seaon, and 48 on the Akl emerging players tour to Aussie a month or so ago.

I badly underperformed over in Eng, partly due to inexperience and partly due to the situations I had to bat in.
I see. So whats your stronger suit, batting or bowling?

GGG

State Captain
2 nil to us barring rain. Nice green juicy wickets and we will knock them over for bugger all.