• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official West Indies in New Zealand***

Flem274*

123/5
What made you think like that?

Hold on. A one-off performance is not be and end of all. Indian batsmen, particularly the Fab 4 have shown they can bat virtually anywhere. Case in point? We managed to defeat Australia in Australia two times in the last 5 years, something NZ has never managed to.

You kidding? The moment India prepared a spin track recently against SA, and managed to win in that, they got official "Give explanation" letters from ICC, and SA coach Mickey Arthur was damning. Yet another case is the Mumbai 2004 test against Australia, in which allegedly a player spat on after the match.
Yes they can bat anywhere, but not every test. One exception was here in lil old NZ against quite a handy bowling attack.

Defeating Australia in Australia is a fantastic achievement, but NZ and Australian pitches offer different challenges, and on those occassions India weren't up to it, though they could have been if Ganguly had shut up and played the damn game. The pitches are the same for everyone. They don't magically become minefields once the opposiiton are in, though on a sidenote I'm sure one country that had strange wickets or something did doctor pitches in the old days, can't remember who it was. Anyways we haven't started that yet, though with the current batting line up an instant falt pitch mix would be nice.

Precambrian

Banned
Yes they can bat anywhere, but not every test. One exception was here in lil old NZ against quite a handy bowling attack.

Defeating Australia in Australia is a fantastic achievement, but NZ and Australian pitches offer different challenges, and on those occassions India weren't up to it, though they could have been if Ganguly had shut up and played the damn game. The pitches are the same for everyone. They don't magically become minefields once the opposiiton are in, though on a sidenote I'm sure one country that had strange wickets or something did doctor pitches in the old days, can't remember who it was. Anyways we haven't started that yet, though with the current batting line up an instant falt pitch mix would be nice.
No way am I coping out blaming the pitch as in the first test, we were hammered, and none of our batsmen were really upto the task.

The second test was more of a lottery though.

The Indian batsmen have plenty to prove in NZ.

Flem274*

123/5
Much more equipped to deal with pace than last time. Also no Bond. Yep, I'd like to see the Indian batsmen tested this time around.
Will be interesting. Not sure where the games are played but I'm sure at least one will be at the Basin, which generally offers nice even contests. The bowling is fine from an NZ viewpoint, there's a zillion bowlers to choose from in NZ, its the batsmen that are the issue. Personally feel the swing of Mills, Franklin and Southee and the seam of Martin, O'Brien and Oram will be fascinating to see against India. I think guys like Tendulkar and Dravid will be fine, but some of the newer players and Sehwag will have issues.

Kind of departing from the WI series here.:laugh:

When does the Auckland-WI game begin? Bet Styris scores a double hundred, just because he's retired from tests.

Precambrian

Banned
We still have the better attack in our conditions to be fair. Should be a good series.
Zaheer was exceptional last time, and has only improved since. Ishant is one of the best bowlers in the world. However the third seamer will be interesting, mostly a toss up between RP and Munaf, though I think Munaf should prevail.

Going OT here. /Stop Ind discussion.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Will be interesting. Not sure where the games are played but I'm sure at least one will be at the Basin, which generally offers nice even contests. The bowling is fine from an NZ viewpoint, there's a zillion bowlers to choose from in NZ, its the batsmen that are the issue. Personally feel the swing of Mills, Franklin and Southee and the seam of Martin, O'Brien and Oram will be fascinating to see against India. I think guys like Tendulkar and Dravid will be fine, but some of the newer players and Sehwag will have issues.
I actually think Sehwag will be one of India's better scorers in the Indian series later this summer, along with Gambhir. I'm fairly sure the last time India toured here he was the only Indian to post a ton (at Napier) against New Zealand so he can't be too concerned about the tracks.

JimmyGS

First Class Debutant
Whats your hopeful lineup looking like for this Test mate?
McIntosh (if he gets a score of more than 80 when Akl play them, otherwise Redmond)
How
Taylor
Fulton
Ryder
Franklin
McCullum
Vettori
Southee
Obrien
Martin

I feel a LH/RH combo at the top will be good to unsettle the Windies bowlers first up, but wouldn't be confident putting McIntosh in there unless he was coming straight off a decent score.

Don't like the thought of Fulton having to play spin when he first comes in, thus moves above Ryder who is good against the turning ball (not that it will turn much in NZ).

I see Franklin as having a better defence than McCullum. Brendon pushes at the ball too much early on. So I'd trust Franklin more than McCullum to get us out of the **** if needed. If we're going good then McCullum moves ahead of him.

Bowling attack is pretty straight forward.