• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Rugby Thread

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I love how unashamedly biased these Fox commentators are. Just adding to the experience here for mine. Hope we get home by less than 7, got decent money on this.

Last edited:

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Can't remember the last time I was this chuffed despite losing a motza. A Tahu try right about now to cap it off for mine.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Great stuff Wallabies. Thoroughly deserved their win.

Can we please sack Henry now and get two new half-backs?

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Geepers....almost don't know what to say, such was the winning margin. (Wonder how many punters tipped Australia to win by 13+? Presume that the TAB made a killing).

Basically after the penalty try that wasn't given (how a penalty was not even awarded is beyond me), the ABs seemed to turn off. Lauaki summed up the last 20 minutes with a woeful effort.

Still shocked, will comment more later.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Great stuff Wallabies. Thoroughly deserved their win.

Can we please sack Henry now and get two new half-backs?
Ellis has done nothing worthy of five test starts this season. Just a shame Cowan has not received more game time to push for his place, I get the impression his drinking incident before the second test against South Africa has affected his selection since.

I wonder if Weepu fancies his chances now that both halfbacks suffered from the game tonight. Henry will probably go with Leonard if a replacement is required IMO though.

As for the sack Henry comment, I certainly wouldn't like to be in his shoes at the moment. Putting aside a woeful English team, hes effectively lost three of his last five tests with a decent opposition. Deans is 5/5... :mellow:

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Haha, Nisbo. "Aww, penalty try c'mon ref!" Nice objectivity.

Do agree with him though.
Haha, I do laugh sometimes with some of the opinions the NZ commentators take. Yes, IMO it should've been a penalty try but one must be amused by the comments Nisbo, John Drake and Johnson have made over the season with regards to the referring.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
That was the worst All Blacks performance I've seen in five years. We were awful. A disgrace really.
What were the end stats for handling mistakes, turnovers and territory? I didn't stay around and prolong the agony to watch the analysis but I'd say in the second half Australia would have hugely favourable statistics in all those areas.

Was it the worst performance since Henry took over? I can't name a worse one (France in Cardiff comes close mind) though if the penalty try had been given, we would've been ahead by two points with 25 minutes to play, so to be in that position at a ground where historically we've been poor does make me reconsider whether it was the worst in the last five years.

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
We played far better than that in Cardiff. Miles and miles better.

We were smashed in SA in 2004, but this was worse.

Hated the ELVs tonight. Thought it was a terrible Test match.

James

Cricket Web Owner
What scares me too is that imagine if there was no Dan Carter tonight? We would have lost by maybe 10-15 points more than we did.

Gone are the All Backs domination years, and gone is the Bledisloe Cup and Tri Nations.

I hate to say this but If it means Henry is sacked, I hope we lose next week too.

Deans clearly had the wood over Henry tactics wise as most of us thought he would.

and what's with McCaw sitting with his girlfriend in the stands. Geez that gets to me that does. What about sitting with the subs McCaw or with the coaches or doing something useful?

James

Cricket Web Owner
None of these players should be anywhere near a Black jersey IMO, but that's the sorry state of NZ rugby right now. Pretty much everyone half decent minus Carter and a few others has gone to Europe for the money.

Anthony Tuitavake, Richard Kahui, Ma'a Nonu, Andy Ellis, Jerome Kaino, Daniel Braid, Keven Mealamu, John Afoa, Anthony Boric, Sione Lauaki, Jimmy Cowan, Stephen Donald

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
What scares me too is that imagine if there was no Dan Carter tonight? We would have lost by maybe 10-15 points more than we did.

Gone are the All Backs domination years, and gone is the Bledisloe Cup and Tri Nations.

I hate to say this but If it means Henry is sacked, I hope we lose next week too.

Deans clearly had the wood over Henry tactics wise as most of us thought he would.

and what's with McCaw sitting with his girlfriend in the stands. Geez that gets to me that does. What about sitting with the subs McCaw or with the coaches or doing something useful?
I think it was quite clear who the premier flyhalf in the world was tonight, left Giteau for dead even if it was on a losing cause. Donald, Brett as future incumbents do leave me a bit worried when Carter has such an influence on a match though.

As for tactics, will we really change that much for next week? I'd bet that we'll still go into the match with only Carter as a recognised kicker in the starting XV, a very similar tight five (who really do you change? Afoa for Somerville isn't a massive change), a backline with basically the same approach (run and if that doesn't work keep running). The only real adjustment I guess is McCaw...and maybe it was his presence that was missing tonight and in Dunedin against SA with so many experienced players departing after the 2007 World Cup.

The problem with sacking Henry now is that Deans is gone...if we were to get rid of Graham and his band of followers, Deans was the obvious replacement. We'd be stuffed now sacking Henry because the next best alternative is over the ditch.

To comment on McCaw and Hayley Holt in the stands, I also wondered why he wasn't with the team...obviously had nothing worthwhile adding to the team's tactics (lol). Contrast that to Mortlock who was down sideline.