• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official *** Euro 2008

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well done to them. Bossed around every team they played in the tournament. Although the close-eps of Jens and Schweinsteiger at the end made me feel a little sorry for them.

Thought Marcos Senna was magnificent for them all tournament though. Glue that held their midfield together for mine.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Fair play to Spain. Genuine victory for football, so refreshing to see a team who plays with verve and movement carry off the title. :)

irfan

State Captain
SPAAAAAAAAAAAIN!

TORRRESS

A win for technical, creative football over physical and mental strength. Massively deserved win, should have had 2 or 3 more if the right players had of been at the end of the through balls (i.e. Villa instead of Iniesta.) Metzelder and Mertesacker (sack of spuds in english) were the laughing stock of the tournament, looked like two giraffes in a 100 m race, tackled poorly and distribuited even worse out of defence.

Senna for Golden Ball.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
:laugh:

Goal.com on Frances tournament:

France

Hot: What?

Not: In as few words as possible: Raymond Domenech, his marriage proposal, his unnatural attachment to astrology, his hobo-chic approach to fashion, leaving a red-hot Sebastian Frey on the bench, playing Willy Sagnol despite his obvious lack of match practice while leaving Bacary Sagna home, not bringing Philippe Mexes to fill in for old man Lilian Thuram, playing Eric Abidal at centre-back, playing Eric Abidal in the first place with Champions League winner Patrice Evra reduced to getting shoved in the tunnel after 4-1 thrashings, his persistence with a double-pivot of slow midfielders, not bringing Mathieu Flamini, Florent Malouda (no explanation required), playing Nicolas Anelka despite Chelsea doing their best to destroy his form and confidence by playing him on the wing and leaving Euro 2000 winner and second-top scorer in Serie A David Trezeguet at home all at the same time, bringing Samir Nasri just because people call him the new Zinedine Zidane while leaving at home an old but far superior and more versatile Robert Pires over a personal feud, and lastly, the fact he still has a job for at least the next eight days. Staggering.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Agree with everything except the Sagna part. Sagnol may have said after the holland defeat that he didn't feel mentally able to play but he certainly looked the the old forward moving full-back to me. Plus Sagna/Clerc debatable..

The Nasri part is a bit rough too, yes people/the media are probably being a bit to hastly into touting the kid the new Zidane. Haven't seen much of him so i can't say much but if Wenger rates him he has to be good really since he doesn't buy crap players period.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Well Senderos, Cycan weren't exactly first team regulars weren't they i'll give Wenger that. Its the big player signing that i'm more interested in, he hasn't made any Veron or Forlan type signings like SAF.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
£6.9 million for Forlan, someone who has subsequently proved himself to have some sort of footballing talent, vs. £9 million for Jeffers, someone who has subsequently proved himself to have about as much footballing talent as a blind walrus. Hmmm...

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Yeah, Forlan not the worst of signings. I rated him even when he was at United as an all round player, shame he couldn't score for **** for his first twenty odd games. Ah well, he did make the Scousers cry.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Well Senderos, Cycan weren't exactly first team regulars weren't they i'll give Wenger that. Its the big player signing that i'm more interested in, he hasn't made any Veron or Forlan type signings like SAF.
Veron wasn't a bad signing. He was just used abysmally.

Look at his performances over most of his career before he joined ManYoo and he was quite clearly a world class player. Ferguson just had no idea how to fit him in, and subsequently Veron's confidence was knocked so greatly by the time he got to a club who would play him in the right position (Chelsea occasionally did, but it wasn't until he left Europe that someone finally got it right), that he would never hit the heights he previously had. He stayed in the Argentina squad all the way up until a couple of years back, so clearly he was still up to some level of top quality football.

Same applies to Forlan - clearly a decent player, Fergie just didn't use him right. Kleberson, Djemba-Djemba, Heinze, Saha - all of them have performed at one time or another in their career, but Ferguson didn't get the best out of them. Certain types of players don't respond to his style of management.

Last edited: