• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Do you like Andrew Symonds?

Do you like Andrew Symonds

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Laurrz

International Debutant
i dont think this comment will win him any votes

"My feelings haven't changed a great deal," Symonds said. "I don't mind the odd game of cricket for Australia but it is only a game at the end of the day, and putting yourself in a position where you're not safe to me is ridiculous."

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
i dont think this comment will win him any votes

"My feelings haven't changed a great deal," Symonds said. "I don't mind the odd game of cricket for Australia but it is only a game at the end of the day, and putting yourself in a position where you're not safe to me is ridiculous."
Yes that is the original comment that kind of prompted the discussion in the other thread. I wasn't trying to say whether he was a good man or not, just whether he was popular. I don't think he's that popular outside Australia was what I was thinking.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Symonds couldn't recall if he had heard Harbhajan use that particular Hindi abuse and accepted that it was a possibility. He also didn't find favour with the judge with his explanation for abusing Harbhajan after he had patted Brett Lee on the back side. Symonds said he had objected because "a Test match is no place to be friendly with an opposition player" but Hansen dismissed that explanation ("If that is his view I hope it is not one shared by all international cricketers").
Symonds is entitled to his views regarding safety and touring, I don't really care about that. His views regarding player interaction on the field is what is disgraceful.

pasag

RTDAS
I've mentioned at various times my various reasons why I don't like him. Mostly, he uses his bogan-like image and behaviour as a marketing tool. Its frankly pathetic.

That and he's quite clearly dickhead.
Racist.

Craig

World Traveller
He comes across as a douchebag but I don't know though.

Absolute gun fielder though, years ago I saw Qld play Vic in a Pura Cup match (99/00) at the 'Gabba and take an real screamer at gully to get rid of Darren Berry (IIRC), I couldn't believe it but you had the feeling that sort of thing was going to happen, and it did. Great ODI batsman, his brute power is amazing.

Played some big innings under pressure, but geez he has had some luck though.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Apart from KP being able to walk the walk.
Does KP walk? :p Coz Symonds' record since Melbourne 06 would, I imagine be as good if not better than KP's.
As for Symonds, I've never met him so I don't like or dislike him.
Don't like some of his antics on the field, but I appreciate his pretty significant athletic ability. I also believe he thinks a lot more about his batting than he used to when he 1st started playing (as you'd hope).

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think Terry-Thomas had a better batting technique and was more likely to succeed at test level. Plus the increased standard in fielding. Sadly, his use of cigarette smoke drifting across the pitch to distract the batsman would be frowned upon in this day and age.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Does KP walk? :p Coz Symonds' record since Melbourne 06 would, I imagine be as good if not better than KP's.
As for Symonds, I've never met him so I don't like or dislike him.
Don't like some of his antics on the field, but I appreciate his pretty significant athletic ability. I also believe he thinks a lot more about his batting than he used to when he 1st started playing (as you'd hope).
Yeah, Symonds averages 81 since then, didn't know that :wacko:

KP's average has always been pretty steady, throughout his career, hovering around the 50 mark.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He's quality (KP) no doubt about that.
That back foot cover drive theis morning was a sight to behold - reckon it's one of the hardest shots to play and he made it look easy.

Briony

International Debutant
To be honest Symonds annoys me. And I also think he's had lady luck on his side in recent years during the tests.

One of my least favourite Aussie players.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Seconded.

Not a Symonds fan - seems like an arrogant **** and isn't good enough for that to be permissible.

Thirded.

Think some of the language used here is a bit harsh abt him, but he comes off as a rather unpleasant person in his interviews and based on what one has heard/read of him...

Matt79

Global Moderator
I said "like", but probably more because I don't dislike him enough to say that I don't like him. I don't mind him as a person although its obvious he has some definite knobby aspects of his personality, and I enjoy him immensely as a cricketer, so that'll do me.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Very interesting poll results so far.

I like Symonds, he used to be mates with my brother in law growing up in Charters Towers.

My bro in law is a top bloke so that's good enough for me.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
so this thread was started because of the discussion in the other thread

i was wondering, does being 'popular' mean being liked? exactly? cant it just mean, well known

because you can be popular if say, non aussies hate you.. but love to hate you.. ie. love you being the villian...thus making you popular because they still like to watch you play (and hope you fail but yea)

if that makes sense
well, you can say he is notorious, not popular, in that case....

I know it is not the exact meaning, but I guess that should work for the present case. :)

Matt79

Global Moderator
Its pretty simple - most fans from his home country like him, and most from other countries dislike him. It's not a hard concept and I think almost every team has a player who would fall within the same category.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Can't think of any from SL, England, NZ, Bang.

In fact the only players I can think of (talking majority here) are Ganguly for India (arguagbly Harbhajan but he's not really that popular), Graeme Smith in South Africa, and as you said, Symonds in Aus. Afridi possibly as well.