• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sri Lanka agree to tour England in 2009

BoyBrumby

Englishman
England tour "sparks rebellion by Sri Lankan IPL players"

From The Guardian.

If the Sri Lankans end up with 50% less from the IPL coffers than they otherwise might we could see the first IPL-inspired international retirements.

ICC has to get real & give the IPL a proper window. It's an international tournament in all but name anyway.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
If the Sri Lankans end up with 50% less from the IPL coffers than they otherwise might we could see the first IPL-inspired international retirements.
You can't actually play in the IPL if you're internationally retired, though. I can see a lot of people not being particularly happy but I can't see it resulting in retirements.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Actually, I can't seem to find any articles to back me up at all. Perhaps I just imagined that rule, but I thought that was the point - the IPL would only cater to players available for international cricket to ensure players wouldn't retire to play in it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
There was certainly some form of something.

IIRR, it was that from the announcement of the IPL forth anyone who had retired from international cricket would not be considered for the IPL for 2 years. Those who'd retired before it was announced were free to play.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Quick look,first thing found from Feb 2008

Article said:
Modi, who was speaking after a meeting in Mumbai between IPL officials and franchise owners, also said the league's governing council now had the option of waiving the two-year waiting period for newly retired players after receiving a green signal from the Indian board.

The proposed waiver of the two-year clause - a player cannot take part in the league for two years after his retirement unless he gets a no-objection certificate from his home cricket board - paves the way for the likes of Adam Gilchrist to play in the IPL immediately after his retirement in March.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
My first thought when I saw 3 warmups was "That is to **** with the IPL"

I could be wrong but it now gives ECB leverage. An England tour is a massive carrot so no issue with Sri Lanka. Now England can use a warm up game or 2 as a negotiating tool.

I hate the politics, but when you play with snakes I dont think you can be afraid to bite back.

As I said I could be wrong, its just how it looked at first glance. I dont claim any inside knowledge.
You're supposed to bite back at snakes? :unsure: :p

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Not sure what the point of this tour is when there's such a huge amount of international cricket being played next summer anyway. Surely five tests, a T20 world cup and five(?) ODI's is more than enough.Why can't the England players play the IPL (if they are picked for it), and then play a couple of first class matches with their counties instead?

Let alone the senior Sri Lankan players who apparently haven't been paid by their board in months, why on earth would they want to come?!

Can't see the majority of the fans caring about this series enough to sell out grounds either.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sri Lanka have possibly more potential than most others to be a "good" prelude to Australia. And while the grounds obviously are highly unlikely to be sold-out - that'd be true near enough any time. As long as the TV revenue is present, gate receipts really don't matter at all, the percentage is tiny.

And that, I suspect, is the main reason - that Sky's payment would have to be reduced if something that was originally pencilled-in was cancelled completely.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
I'd imagine Lords will get pretty much sold out for the first 4 days. Chester le street will probably get decent sales as well.

The ODI's well who cares, one of them is in france

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Sri Lanka have possibly more potential than most others to be a "good" prelude to Australia. And while the grounds obviously are highly unlikely to be sold-out - that'd be true near enough any time. As long as the TV revenue is present, gate receipts really don't matter at all, the percentage is tiny.

And that, I suspect, is the main reason - that Sky's payment would have to be reduced if something that was originally pencilled-in was cancelled completely.
Yeah I didn't mean from a money pov, I'm sure ECB'll make plenty money on it. I just meant in terms of tours that are a bit pointless for the viewer in that they don't really have anything riding on them. I'd love seeing Sri Lanka over for a proper 3-test tour, or a proper 5-ODI tour actually thinking about it, rather than half of each.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
It been a while since Sri Lanka has played an away Test series which is more then 2-Tests. It really is just par for course these days and I can't see things changing any time soon. It really isn't anything new that we get only 2-Tests. It been like that for 4-5 years now.