• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** IPL match discussion thread

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Knightridden out of the IPL, almost. Pathan an easy man-of-the-match pick. Surely an India prospect now.
Only India Prospect, Are you kidding me ?

I thought he just replaced Sir Gary Sobers and Sir IT Botham as the greatest allrounder to play the game of Cricket.

Laurrz

International Debutant
WD Rajasthan

if its not Watson firing its Smith or Asnodkar or Yusuf....

just need Kaif to fire maybe.. or maybe not if they keep batting like this..

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
QUESTION: Status of Shaun Pollock? He missed the last match. Most players barely injured have often returned for the next match, but Sangakkara and Boucher are now out of action for a long time.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Kolkata are in dire straits now. If the exodus of international stars wasn't enough, they've lost several matches in a row, their batting is more brittle than ever, Ganguly has got into a little trouble, often with Warne (first the third umpire, then paper), his on players (first Gul, then Salman Butt) have expressed dissatisfaction with their captain, then Akhtar was benched for the last match. Now, it seems, Ganguly and owner SRK are not getting along on some issues, possibly rteam selection and the toss. Headlines Today is running (as I type) a half-hour programme on IPL news and this is getting a lot more coverage.

QUESTION: What was written on that paper?

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
he is 20-20 team already ..and think will play ODI as well
IMO Pathan's techinque is pretty suspect against the moving ball. See him against Mumbai where Nehra and Co. swing the ball.
Unless he starts bowling medium pace like his brother or Sachin is retiring from ODI Cricket or Yuvraj Singh''s girlfriend woes continue, he wont make the playing 11.

1. Gautam Gambhir
2. Virendra Sehwag
3. Rohit Sharma
4. Sachin Tendulkar
5. Yuvraj Singh
6. MS Dhoni
7. Irfan Pathan
8. Harbhajan Singh
9. Zaheer Khan
10. R.P Singh / Ashish Nehra
11. Ishant Sharma

Bhajji has a 5 match ban, so either Chawla or Mishra get a look in if its a turning pitch, else they will play an extra pacer and Sehwag/Yuvraj/Tendulkar make up for the spin.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
That's quite a good combination, although Sreesanth also has a shout. You've gone in with five frontline bowlers, which is a bold selection, but needs to be used carefully.

While I don't believe that India's spin cupboard is bare (you can only play one or two in the playing XI), there's a shout for Yusuf Pathan as a limited-overs spinner. When your frontline bowlers are all pacers, Kumble is out of ODI's and Bhajji is also out, although briefly, he's a good option.

We don't know if Piyush Chawla and Amit Mishra will last long in a limited-overs match, and we know that the part-timers surely won't, even on turning wickets, but Yusuf can make up with some big hits. Yes, he's a little suspect against the moving ball, but the ball won't move all the time and he's got a good sense of timing, and a lot of power, and all the big hits come off clean strokes, unlike Dhoni's artistic attempts and Praveen Kumar's savage stunts. He's not the next Kumble or Harbhajan, but the best option as the extra batsman.

It's different for T20's, though, because they have to have five frontline bowlers.

More coming in a fresh thread on IPL impact on the Indian team.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Don't think Nehra has a chance of getting back into the Indian side, and Sehwag shouldn't be there. Tendulkar'd be opening as well.

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
Don't think Nehra has a chance of getting back into the Indian side, and Sehwag shouldn't be there. Tendulkar'd be opening as well.
Why shouldnt Sehwag be there? He's No.2 on the IPL score sheets.

Tendulkar looks a bit out of form but unless he retires no selector is going to drop him.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
do you have any probs with me thinking that Dravid is a dunderhead? Or have I stepped on your tail :p

the answer to that is already given in my post that you quoted

so isn't it clear from that that I didn't watch the game 8-) .... is comprehending whats implied is too much a task for you :@
ok...first of all, no, you didn't step on my tail... I juz find the irony of u calling ANYONE a dunderhead a little too hilarious... BTW, it juz wont be a ret post if it doesnt have a meaningless :laugh: smiley anyways...... 8-)

And secondly, if you dont watch the game, why the hell are you questioning others who are watching the game and the info they are giving? And of course commenting on games that you dont even watch shows how much you understand the game.... Talk about Dravid's meaningless knocks..... if you didn't watch it, how the hell do you know?

And yes, I do have a problem with you thinking Dravid is a dunderhead, esp. given the fact that he has been an international cricket captain and you can't even lick his shoes... And since the context here is cricket discussion, of course I think he knows a hell lot more than you or your :laugh: smileys...... :laugh:

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
IPL is 20/20..not ODI
He is good enough to be in the Indian test squad, good enough for the Indian T20 squad but not good enough for the format in between???Pretty strange if you ask me.

IPL may be 20/20 but form is form. For me he is in form and should walk into the ODI squad.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I didn't watch that game where he made 75 of 36 balls, but looking at the scorecard he walked in the 9th over, when B'lore were 31/4, which means that they had to get 167 or so of 12 overs .... thats RRR of around 14

End of over 9 (2 runs) - Bangalore Royal Challengers 33/4 (165 runs required from 11 overs, RR: 3.66, RRR: 15.00)

End of over 10 (5 runs) - Bangalore Royal Challengers 38/4 (160 runs required from 60 balls, RR: 3.80, RRR: 16.00)

End of over 11 (4 runs) - Bangalore Royal Challengers 42/5 (156 runs required from 54 balls, RR: 3.81, RRR: 17.33

End of over 12 (8 runs) - Bangalore Royal Challengers 50/5 (148 runs required from 48 balls, RR: 4.16, RRR: 18.50)

End of over 13 (19 runs) - Bangalore Royal Challengers 69/5 (129 runs required from 42 balls, RR: 5.30, RRR: 18.42) .... the over where they actually keep up with the RRR

End of over 14 (4 runs) - Bangalore Royal Challengers 73/7 (125 runs required from 36 balls, RR: 5.21, RRR: 20.83)

End of over 15 (10 runs) - Bangalore Royal Challengers 83/7 (115 runs required from 30 balls, RR: 5.53, RRR: 23.00)

End of over 16 (6 runs) - Bangalore Royal Challengers 89/8 (109 runs required from 24 balls, RR: 5.56, RRR: 27.25)

End of over 17 (18 runs) - Bangalore Royal Challengers 107/8 (91 runs required from 18 balls, RR: 6.29, RRR: 30.33)

End of over 18 (7 runs) - Bangalore Royal Challengers 114/8 (84 runs required from 12 balls, RR: 6.33, RRR: 42.00)

End of over 19 (4 runs) - Bangalore Royal Challengers 118/9 (80 runs required from 6 balls, RR: 6.21, RRR: 80.00)

End of over 20 (14 runs) - Bangalore Royal Challengers 132/9 (66 runs required from 0 balls, RR: 6.60)

then they take 18 runs [RRR 30.33] in the 17th over when the game is already gone, then again 14 in the last over

scoring when there is no pressure to win and when you can pick the balls that you can hit is not good enough for me
So exactly under how much pressure did Sourav score his runs?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Delhi vs B'lore

let's analyze Dravid's batting here

This is a game where B'lore is batting first, the pressure is on to win, set up a good total, hit the good balls and what does he do 9 of 11 :p .... and he came in at a relatively good position of 41/2
cant we analyze Uthappa's batting against chennai in chennai? And hold on, 9 off 11 is bad???? I wonder about some of the T20 champ Ganguly's innings in the IPL......

But then again, if it's not good enough for ret, who are we to argue? 8-)

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I prefer this one

4.6 Ntini to Ganguly, OUT, timber! Ntini switches to over the wicket for Ganguly and fires it on a good length on middle stump line, Ganguly exposes all his stumps but plays far too early, the middle stump is flattened and the stump microphone is a mess
SC Ganguly b Ntini 2 (8b 0x4 0x6) SR: 25.00
come on, social... 2 off 8 >>>>>>> 9 off 11... U must know this by now.. :p

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
i m watching it for Daredevils :D .... i hope that the daredevil will show you how the batting should be done in T20s :p
u mean the middle order collapses and juz about falling over the line chasing a very easy target after a great start?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
IMO Pathan's techinque is pretty suspect against the moving ball. See him against Mumbai where Nehra and Co. swing the ball.
Unless he starts bowling medium pace like his brother or Sachin is retiring from ODI Cricket or Yuvraj Singh''s girlfriend woes continue, he wont make the playing 11.

1. Gautam Gambhir
2. Virendra Sehwag
3. Rohit Sharma
4. Sachin Tendulkar
5. Yuvraj Singh
6. MS Dhoni
7. Irfan Pathan
8. Harbhajan Singh
9. Zaheer Khan
10. R.P Singh / Ashish Nehra
11. Ishant Sharma

Bhajji has a 5 match ban, so either Chawla or Mishra get a look in if its a turning pitch, else they will play an extra pacer and Sehwag/Yuvraj/Tendulkar make up for the spin.
SEhwag is a proven mediocre performer in ODIs. I would rather have the best 5 limited overs batsmen we have at the moment batting at our top 5...

Gambhir
Sachin
Rohit
Yuvraj
Dhoni

Don't mind where others bat but honestly that HAS to be our top 5. All guys are in prime form and it is a good combination of youth and experience. Fielding won't be bad either, if Yuvraj can show at least 50% of his earlier skill as a fielder.

biased indian

International Coach
He is good enough to be in the Indian test squad, good enough for the Indian T20 squad but not good enough for the format in between???Pretty strange if you ask me.

IPL may be 20/20 but form is form. For me he is in form and should walk into the ODI squad.
test for sure...but the other 2 i am not sure......i will have gambir with the form he is in and sachin to open..for any other position we have enough good players...