• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lets go Public

Auto. Tick make poll public

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
:thumbup:

I wonder why Voltman voted for "no" BTW. :huh: Contrariness, or does he actually think it shouldn't be changed?
I just don't see it needing to be changed. No other forum I'm on has public polls and I don't feel every vote on a poll has to be justified to the nth degree just because others might disagree with his/her vote.

I'm certainly not going to moan until the cows come home if it's changed, but leaving us with the choice of making them public or non-public would be the preference.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The choice will be left. The only thing that is going to be changed is the default - instead of someone having to make sure they make a poll a public one (which all regular members do) it'll be done for them unless they choose not to.

This is mostly something designed to make sure new members go along with what established members expect. Someone who's only been on CW 6 days and hasn't even read a previous poll-thread probably doesn't even know what a public poll is, never mind the fact that everyone hates it when there's a poll that isn't public.

It's not designed to remove the private poll. On the exceptionally rare occasion this is necessary, it'll still be available.

But for me, and clearly near enough everyone else if not possibly absolutely everyone else, it's much better if people don't need to think "remember to make it public" before posting a poll and if new members are shown that the default is the desired, not the non-default is the desired.

cpr

International Coach
Voted Fiery on the grounds it really, really doesnt matter in the slightest. I'd rather read posts than analyse who's voted what. TBH although i'm sat on the fence, if i had to get down i'd probably go for the no public side, purely to stick it to the big brother mentality of the state (of CWLand).

Vote Heath for El Presidente.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sometimes votes are a mini-post, though. It's always interesting, IMO, to know who voted for what in a poll option.

I'm, obviously, used to public polls and when a non-public one pops-up it's really very frustrating. I know I'm far from the only one who feels this way.

Only very rarely need a poll be private IMO. I mean, I just voted in the Local Elections earlier today, and I barely gave a stuff if anyone knew who I voted for (voted Lib Dem BTW, and yeah I did think "what a waste of a vote" but I've become so disenchanted with Labour round here that I didn't really have much choice), and pretty much any CW poll will pale in relation to that.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
There are times where it's useful to have private polls, but I don't think CW would generally allow the sort of topics where I've seen private polls used in the past.

I think changing the default is fair enough, it's good to have the option though. The main reason I remember to select public polls when posting them is to stop you from shouting at me Rich :p LOL

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
There are times where it's useful to have private polls, but I don't think CW would generally allow the sort of topics where I've seen private polls used in the past.
Yeah, like "do you like bond21?" or whatever...
I think changing the default is fair enough, it's good to have the option though. The main reason I remember to select public polls when posting them is to stop you from shouting at me Rich :p LOL
Disappointed in you considering only me and not the CW populace at large ITBT.

And YES THAT LAST WAS IN JEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND I FULLY REALISE THE OP WAS TOO, HENCE THE :p AND THE LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
TBH, I was more referring to polls such as "have you ever danced with mr brownstone?" I am not going to go in any more detail than that as to what it means, because I don't want to break forum rules, if you look it up you will see what it means, it was a real thread at a Guns N' Roses forum I used to post at. :)

cpr

International Coach
TBH, I was more referring to polls such as "have you ever danced with mr brownstone?" I am not going to go in any more detail than that as to what it means, because I don't want to break forum rules, if you look it up you will see what it means, it was a real thread at a Guns N' Roses forum I used to post at. :)

:laugh: Always loved that song, one of the best from that album IMO (along with Rocket Queen)

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
:laugh: Always loved that song, one of the best from that album IMO (along with Rocket Queen)
It gets my legs going big time. Love jumpy riffs like that. It's why Dr Feelgood by the Crue is such a gun as well, and indeed Rocket Queen.

Nightrain the best on the album for mine mind you

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I'm loving that 2005 location as well btw

And how awesome that the ad I am seeing is for Guns N Roses Ringtones. :cool:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
There's no particular need, I don't think.

But FFS, what's this sudden obsession with 2005-ing everything? I know why Rob loves the year so, I obviously know why I do, and I know why Craig does, but what on Earth is the Morgan Burridge desire to remain there forever more?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
There's no particular need, I don't think.

But FFS, what's this sudden obsession with 2005-ing everything? I know why Rob loves the year so, I obviously know why I do, and I know why Craig does, but what on Earth is the Morgan Burridge desire to remain there forever more?
Haha, I've started a trend. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.